• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GoWings1905

Weekend Picks: Week 1

Rate this topic

Hello everyone! It is time again for Weekend Picks. For those of you new to the board or interested in participating for the first time, the contest is pretty simple. Every Friday-Sunday during the regular season, you will select who you think will win each game on the NHL schedule for that weekend. One point for each correct selection, nothing lost for an incorrect pick. It is a running total and the individual with the highest score at the end of the 27 weeks is the winner. Our defending champion from last season is "hooon"!

Those of you that have participated previously know that we have posted the picks here on the forum and the scores were then counted by a handful of volunteers who willingly dedicated their time to keep the contest running. Thanks to member "Blood On The Ice", we are going to try and use a secondary site this season which will greatly reduce the need to manually track each individual's selections. A couple of us here have already played around and done some trials on the site and it is very simple to use.

Just to clear up some of the common questions that may arise:

- We will still be dropping your two lowest weeks of scores. At the end of the contest, only 25 of the 27 weeks will be involved in the cumulative total. If you forget a week, have circumstances arise where the picks can't be submitted, or just score poorly, the two worst weeks will be dropped.

- The pool is structured so you can make picks up until the puck is dropped in each game. If you miss Friday, you can still make picks for Saturday or Sunday.

- There is an option available to add confidence points to each game. If there is enough feedback in favor of this scoring format, I can edit that up until the first game on Friday. This means, for instance, if there are 21 games, you would rank the games with a value from 1 to 21 in order of your confidence in the team to win. If there is interest in this, please let me know in this thread.

- I don't have a solution on the site for a potential tiebreaker should we have a tie at the end. Last season, the Winter Classic was used, which may be a strong option again this year.

All of that being said, I will post the site here and allow all of you to register and begin making your picks. You do need to create a screen name before beginning. Please use your name here at LGW as your screen name on the site so we can easily identify who is actually participating. There is an option to receive a weekly e-mail reminder, though I will post one here on the forums each Wednesday as well.

Here is the website to join the pool directly: Weekend Picks

The Pool ID is 60605; you do not need a password to gain access.

Please note the first games this weekend start at 1:00 PM Eastern on Friday. If you have any questions or issues, feel free to let me know! Good luck to all and thanks for playing!

Two more thoughts here. Tire breaker. If we have a tie, at the end of the year, who had the most winning weeks, or higher ranking weeks between the two that are tied. Example, after the two throw outs, player A beats player B 11 weeks, they tied 5 times, the other 9 times player B won. Out of those 25 weeks Player A was a little better, so he gets the tie break. If that is tied and they are both 10-5-10. Then add their 10 top weeks, the higher of course wins. If that is tied, then top 5 weeks.

Second thought, if we want to keep the bonus week, just start a second site. Everyone picks 1 game for the bonus point in the second site. At the end of the year, just manually add the two together and post the final in the LGW site. The bonus point could also be used for another tie breaker option. Most bonus point wins, gets the tie break.

Looks good, I think I'm in. Time to defend my title!!!

Question: I could probably find out with a little poking around, but are you allowed to change your choices after you've submitted them, as long as its before the gametime deadline?

Thanks to all of those who are putting this together! :thumbup:

Looks good, I think I'm in. Time to defend my title!!!

Question: I could probably find out with a little poking around, but are you allowed to change your choices after you've submitted them, as long as its before the gametime deadline?

Thanks to all of those who are putting this together! :thumbup:

Yes you may.

i see 7 people besides myself have signed up already on the site to date. I also see that I registered twice by mistake and have 2 screen names. I had a little problem since I had already created an account yesterday on that site and it created a conflict. I will try to delete one of them.

thanks again GoWings1905

i see 7 people besides myself have signed up already on the site to date. I also see that I registered twice by mistake and have 2 screen names. I had a little problem since I had already created an account yesterday on that site and it created a conflict. I will try to delete one of them.

thanks again GoWings1905

I can delete the other one if you need me to. It's showing three different names for you from what I can tell.

Thanks for your help as well!

I can delete the other one if you need me to. It's showing three different names for you from what I can tell.

Thanks for your help as well!

yes,if you will please delete them except for the Dan Bylsma_3 one. For some reason the Dan Bylsma one caused the original conflict since it's associated with a different mock pool I set up yesterday. I think people will know who Dan Bylsma_3 is in the future :-)

I'm playing the whole friggin season this year, no matter what!

And it's kinda funny that this site has the Jets + current logo but still have old logos for Anaheim/Buffalo/etc., even call them the Mighty Ducks still :P

Here's my fisrt weekend picks

Oct.7 Buffalo over anheim

NY rangers over LA

Carolina over Tampa Bay

Nashville over Columbus

Detroit over Ottawa

Chicago over Dallas

Oct.8

Anaheim over NY Rangers

LA over Buffalo

Tampa Bay over Boston

Philadelphia over NJ

Toronto over Ottawa

Washington over Carolina

Columbus over Minnesota

NY Islanders over Florida

St.Louis over Nashville

Chicago over Dallas

Colorado over Detroit

Pittsburgh over Calgary

San Jose over Phoenix

OCT.9

Winnipeg over Montreal

Edmonton over Pittsburgh

Guest CaliWingsNut

Thanks for the post!

I signed up and picked my first week. I don't think we need the ranking addition, seems like a lot of work every week on top of picking.

Edit: Booo! spoke too soon. The site crashed when I tried to submit my picks :(

Edit update: 45min later (rest of internet fine) I still can't get the website to show up. Must be down for the count.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Thanks for the post!

I signed up and picked my first week. I don't think we need the ranking addition, seems like a lot of work every week on top of picking.

Edit: Booo! spoke too soon. The site crashed when I tried to submit my picks :(

Edit update: 45min later (rest of internet fine) I still can't get the website to show up. Must be down for the count.

I just checked and the site works fine for me. Perhaps it was just a momentary crash. Or maybe you need to try it with a different browser. I hope you can get it to work as the site is really good. It shows all the results and rankings right away after the games.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I just checked and the site works fine for me. Perhaps it was just a momentary crash. Or maybe you need to try it with a different browser. I hope you can get it to work as the site is really good. It shows all the results and rankings right away after the games.

It's back up and I've made my picks :)

It's back up and I've made my picks :)

it was crashing for me during the same time period you were having difficulties. Fingers crossed that it's a reliable site. Other then that I had also noticed a few minor glitches when the site was loading the past few days.

I'm not for the ranking option either, I would like to see the x2 game included somehow.

update: it's crashing again for me at 6pm, tried two different browsers ;-(

Edited by Dan Bylsma

it was crashing for me during the same time period you were having difficulties. Fingers crossed that it's a reliable site. Other then that I had also noticed a few minor glitches when the site was loading the past few days.

I'm not for the ranking option either, I would like to see the x2 game included somehow.

update: it's crashing again for me at 6pm, tried two different browsers ;-(

This time I noticed it too, but now the site is working again. It seems like the thing to do is to pick early to be sure that you have at least something done and then later edit the picks if you feel like it.

There's still 40 minutes to pick the first three games.

This time I noticed it too, but now the site is working again. It seems like the thing to do is to pick early to be sure that you have at least something done and then later edit the picks if you feel like it.

There's still 40 minutes to pick the first three games.

yeah it's back up now...... 40 minutes, how do you figure that ? as i see it you got until 1pm on Friday

yeah it's back up now...... 40 minutes, how do you figure that ? as i see it you got until 1pm on Friday

My bad. I was thinking that tonight's games were included. It's already Friday here in Finland so I got confused. "Weekend" picks you know. I forgot that it's still Thursday over there.