• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Eric Nystrom on waivers

Rate this topic

So that fourth liner who can play and fight has been waived. This is the type of guy the wings need to get. Hes no goon but he can step up and handle himself.

He can play the PK, hit, fight and while having a down year last season a bit, he has been able to put up 11 or so goals a season.

Hes still south of 30 and could be a solid addition.

I persoinally would much rather see this guy in Detroit than Drew Miller, Nystrom can be a physical force out there.

Hopefully Kenny takes a good, hard look at him

No thanks, Drew Miller's pk value is much more important then Nystrom useless punching talent.

Honestly I don't think his pk value is that high on the wings just because we have so many forwards who can do it. Helm, Eaves, Abby, Cleary, Dats, Flip, Zetterberg. And Nystrom plays the pk too.

Not that I think they absolutely should pick up Nystrom, but I think there's validity to having someone who could do a lot of what Miller does but also provides some more toughness "to keep the flies off" as Babcock puts it. I think Miller was a very redundant signing when they locked up Eaves.

Plus when the enforcer debate rears it's ugly head, people opposed to it always ask who is out there that Holland could've signed. This is a good example.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

It's not like Nystrom is a valued free agent, I wanted someone like Travis Moen. Nystrom is just not that good of a hockey player, and he only had what 2 fights last season to go along with the worst +/- on his team(Granted +/- isn't much of a statistic). Nystrom had a terrible season last year, and him getting cut from the Wild just tells me he hasn't improved much.

It's not like Nystrom is a valued free agent, I wanted someone like Travis Moen. Nystrom is just not that good of a hockey player, and he only had what 2 fights last season to go along with the worst +/- on his team(Granted +/- isn't much of a statistic). Nystrom had a terrible season last year, and him getting cut from the Wild just tells me he hasn't improved much.

The problems IMO is that he's a bit overpaid for his last season, had a down year, had a so-so training camp, and the Wild may plan on having Kassian up for much of the season. I would love for the Wings to pick up Nystrom, but I think his salary is high for a player who would likely play ~40 games (assuming the fourth-line rotation continues).

Hopefully Rosehill gets waived sometime soon when the Leafs get healthy- I've thought the Wings should get him off waivers the past two season.

I wouldn't expect Holland to do a thing as he's just had his roster set for the time being.

I don't know much about him, but Nyström didn't make Wild's roster so I wonder if he would crack Wings. He's on a one-way deal so Wild definitely isn't happy how his contract has turned out. And if he really is a good 4th line grinder then some other team is going to get him before Wings.

By the way, how does the waiver claim order work during the summer before a single regular season game has been played? Is it by last season's standings? I think it wouldn't be very fair too look the the current season standings before each team has played 15-20 games.

No thanks, Drew Miller's pk value is much more important then Nystrom useless punching talent.

Useless punching talent?

Do you hate every NHL player who's ever dropped the gloves or something? Nystrom is more than just a useless puncher. He had a down year last season, but that doesn't mean he's finished. I just don't see Drew Miller as a useful player here anymore, especially since about 75% of our forwards can kill penalties. Nystrom is at least a better checker than Miller and could give us a little more nastiness on our 4th line to play against.

The OP summed him up a little better than you did.

I still don't think Holland will make this move and it's not a big deal either way, but it wouldn't hurt.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Could we get his father instead?

I wish.

Bobby Nystrom was what a hockey player should be. Played his ass off every night, was physical, stood up for his teammates and was one of the ten best fighters I've ever seen. The man was also clutch and could could score big goals. In fact, he had 4 overtime playoff goals in his career.

His son also plays hard, but just hasn't been as consistent as I thought he would be when he first suited up for the Flames.

How exactly does his punching "keep the flies off"? Fighting doesn't prevent anything for the love of everything that is good. Plus, Miller is a much better player than Nystrom. And Miller is younger. All signs point to Miller being better.

You should ask Babcock to explain it to you.

The simple answer is, if I'm a player around the net in a scrum after the whistle, I'm a lot less likely to take a little cheapshot at the goalie or give a little crosscheck to a star player if I know I will get punched in the face for it. If I only have to answer to Franzen, then it's jab away.

I don't think it prevents guys from hitting players or injuries during the game, but as for crap after whistles and little cheapshots, hell yes it does.

Drew has two 10 goal seasons with Detroit in years where we faced a ton of injuries and now he's a better player then Nystrom? Haha, ok. Nystrom would be a good fit, can score just as well as Miller, hits harder and is faster. I don't think Kenny even looks twice at him because we already have too many forwards and he's a bit pricey for a 3rd/4th line guy.

You should ask Babcock to explain it to you.

The simple answer is, if I'm a player around the net in a scrum after the whistle, I'm a lot less likely to take a little cheapshot at the goalie or give a little crosscheck to a star player if I know I will get punched in the face for it. If I only have to answer to Franzen, then it's jab away.

I don't think it prevents guys from hitting players or injuries during the game, but as for crap after whistles and little cheapshots, hell yes it does.

Just because you say it's true doesn't make it so. Even if it were true, those players would have to be on the ice to prevent anything, and none of those players would play on the same line as Datsyuk or Zetterberg or anyone decent.

Drew has two 10 goal seasons with Detroit in years where we faced a ton of injuries and now he's a better player then Nystrom? Haha, ok. Nystrom would be a good fit, can score just as well as Miller, hits harder and is faster. I don't think Kenny even looks twice at him because we already have too many forwards and he's a bit pricey for a 3rd/4th line guy.

Nystrom cannot score just as well as Miller. Miller has more points and goals in 100 less games played and has 2 straight 10 goal seasons with the Wings while Nystrom hasn't accomplished that feat. Nystrom has never had a positive +/- as a pro as well. So yes smartass, Miller is the better player.

Just because you say it's true doesn't make it so. Even if it were true, those players would have to be on the ice to prevent anything, and none of those players would play on the same line as Datsyuk or Zetterberg or anyone decent.

Nystrom cannot score just as well as Miller. Miller has more points and goals in 100 less games played and has 2 straight 10 goal seasons with the Wings while Nystrom hasn't accomplished that feat. Nystrom has never had a positive +/- as a pro as well. So yes smartass, Miller is the better player.

Meh, their stats haven't been that much different in recent years. Not to mention, Miller has gotten icetime with better players, when we had injuries.

In any case, I'd take Nystrom on my 4th line over Miller. He just fills that role better in my opinion. I want a little more grit on my 4th line, and scoring on the other lines. I'd rather have Nystrom wear defenses down in the playoffs than Miller.

I don't know what to tell ya because it's a concept that's as old as hockey. I guess Babcock and I will have to agree to disagree with you.

I'm not interested in having a goon out there, but the more players you have that will drop the gloves when need be, the less crap that tends to happen to them. As fun as it was to see Datsyuk fighting Perry, he shouldn't have to.

You're talking about two players on six different teams, and basing it on only three or four seasons for each of them. Plus minus isn't a very useful stat for comparing such different situations.

And it's not always about who's the better player on paper, it's about building a team, and Nystrom has qualities Miller doesn't.

I don't think Holland will take a serious look at Nystrom, but it has more to do with the Wings being neck deep in forwards and Nystrom's contract.

So who are these ruff and tuff players who are gonna play against Datsyuk's line that someone like Bert couldn't handle? Corey Perry?

esteef

edit fer stoopit grammer

Edited by esteef

Honestly, where would he fit? There are so many players in GR/depth forwards in the presser he would be amazingly low on the depth chart. If he wanted to play in GR sure, but not with the big club.

Honestly, where would he fit? There are so many players in GR/depth forwards in the presser he would be amazingly low on the depth chart. If he wanted to play in GR sure, but not with the big club.

With Mursak down I would waive Brunnstrom for him to be honest.

We dont need a guy like Brunnstrom really and we could really use a guy like Nystrom. A guy who can enforce and play, its too bad we neded up locking these many guys up because he would be the perfect fit here.

The physicality he brings is worth the 3 less assists he gets than Miller while Miller is playing with better teams.

You play Nystrom with Eaves and Helm and he easily produces like Miller does

We dont need a guy like Brunnstrom really and we could really use a guy like Nystrom. A guy who can enforce and play, its too bad we neded up locking these many guys up because he would be the perfect fit here.

The physicality he brings is worth the 3 less assists he gets than Miller while Miller is playing with better teams.

There is a reason why the Wild waived him, if he can't fit in on the Wild's roster, which is not deep by anyone's definition, why would it be different for the Wings? Brunnstrom showed heart and hard play and earned a contract, Nystrom got bounced from a team expected to contend for a lottery pick. Gotta get the enforcer glasses off, he just doesn't fit in the depth chart anywhere. Sorry.

Then waive Miller?

Brunnstrom could be a damn fine role player, and we got him for nothing. It would be asinine to waive him for a less skilled role player who has a "tough" side. And you are going simply based on that one attribute.

Then waive Miller?

Brunnstrom could be a damn fine role player, and we got him for nothing. It would be asinine to waive him for a less skilled role player who has a "tough" side. And you are going simply based on that one attribute.

No im going off seeing him play.

Yeah I would waive Miller for him too but as it is right now I would rather waive Brunnstrom and hope he makes it to Grand Rapids

He hasnt hacked it with Toronto or Dallas so I think they could risk him on the waiver wire, whereas Miller would get picked up most likely

There is a reason why the Wild waived him, if he can't fit in on the Wild's roster, which is not deep by anyone's definition, why would it be different for the Wings? Brunnstrom showed heart and hard play and earned a contract, Nystrom got bounced from a team expected to contend for a lottery pick. Gotta get the enforcer glasses off, he just doesn't fit in the depth chart anywhere. Sorry.

He does though is the thing. He would make this team more well rounded.

And youre going to seriously say he cant play here because he got bounced from a bad team while saying Brunnstrom must stay?

Brunnstrom who couldnt produce in teh AHL last season....