• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Eric Nystrom on waivers

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

Yes, they dominated the Senators. Think about that for a second.

esteef

If they didn't then Red Wings lose that game. Pretty sure only one goal came from the top 6.

Do you believe any of the players you mentioned would be worth putting Brunnstrom on waivers?

Yep

Isn't the point that to get Nystrom and actually use him we would have to put a player on waivers?

And since Brunnstrom was suggested, doesn't that make it important to the case at hand?

I was simply asking a question about the players and curious why newfy would think it is possibly a good idea to waive a player who had a great training camp who we got for nothing for someone who couldn't find a place on a bottom feeder.

I think its a good idea because Brunnstrom had a good training camp but isn't some god like player that fills any real needs at this point in time. Nyquist had a better training camp and he got sent down.

He had a good training camp sure, but does that mean he shouldnt have to put in a little AHL time.. Ville Leino did and Brunnstrom doesnt exactyl have a great track record of producing so why is it that he should have a guaranteed NHL roster spot when another person could be picked up who fills more of a need on the team?

I think youre overvaluing Brunnstrom, maybe not Nystrom but a player of his ilk that can play and scrap ont eh 4th line would be much better for this team than Brunnstrom

Yes, they dominated the Senators. Think about that for a second.

esteef

A 3rd and 4th line dominated an NHL team. Think about it for a second. And now they kept the other team from scoring on them out there last night. So they are scoring goals and keeping opponents off the scoresheet. Why in the hell are we taking about Eric "Scrub player" Nystrom still?

Yep

Yowzers.

I think its a good idea because Brunnstrom had a good training camp but isn't some god like player that fills any real needs at this point in time. Nyquist had a better training camp and he got sent down.

We got Brunnstrom for free.

Wings management wanted Brunnstrom for a reason over Leino. This is their chance to see if they can make him into the player they intended.

Nystrom didn't have enough talent or value to a roster that is going to be missing the playoffs by a mile. If his only attribute is toughness (which appears to be the only thing Minnesota apparently didn't need), then I don't see the need in clogging up roster spots for him.

He had a good training camp sure, but does that mean he shouldnt have to put in a little AHL time.. Ville Leino did and Brunnstrom doesnt exactyl have a great track record of producing so why is it that he should have a guaranteed NHL roster spot when another person could be picked up who fills more of a need on the team?

Because for him to make it to the AHL he would have to get through waivers. And like you said he had a good enough training camp to warrant a contract and roster spot. Ville Leino went to the minors because Detroit was incredibly deep and they didn't have to risk losing him to waivers.

I think youre overvaluing Brunnstrom, maybe not Nystrom but a player of his ilk that can play and scrap ont eh 4th line would be much better for this team than Brunnstrom

Much better? I think you overvalue his role on the team. Detroit is going to need up and coming scorers more and more as guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen get older and older. Brunnstrom has potential there, and it would be nuts to waive him and risk losing him just because a "tough" fourth liner was waived from a bottom feeder.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Yep

How does Nystrom help Detroit beat San Jose in the 2nd round? The Wings lost because of poorly timed penalty and no clutch scoring. If I want to put one of those two on the ice when I need to break a tie, or tie a game, Brunnstrom is the only choice. If I want to put a player in who won't cost the team a lead by taking a stupid penalty, again Brunnstrom wins.

A 3rd and 4th line dominated an NHL team. Think about it for a second. And now they kept the other team from scoring on them out there last night. So they are scoring goals and keeping opponents off the scoresheet. Why in the hell are we taking about Eric "Scrub player" Nystrom still?

I don't care about Nystrom, just not getting too excited about our 3rd and 4ths beating up on Ottawa's.

esteef

How does Nystrom help Detroit beat San Jose in the 2nd round? The Wings lost because of poorly timed penalty and no clutch scoring. If I want to put one of those two on the ice when I need to break a tie, or tie a game, Brunnstrom is the only choice. If I want to put a player in who won't cost the team a lead by taking a stupid penalty, again Brunnstrom wins.

Brunnstrom had a decent training camp and now when you need to tie a game youre putting Brunnstrom out there?

Do you guys not realize that Brunnstrom wasnt even that guy in the AHL last season?

And once again Brunnstrom had 10 les pims in less games played than Nystrom last year, while 10 of Nystroms came in fights and I can guarantee a few were off setting roughings. Using stats and not bias against a player will show you that Brunnstrom actually takes more dumb penalties

The Wings have also been worn down physically in the playoffs by the sharks and Coyotes the last 2 seasons. Noone will like to acknowledge that because it makes their argument against a physical player sound better. Maybe if the wings could wear down another team for once they would do better in the playoffs

"Hey, this guy can fight, but he's terrible in every other aspect, Wings should sign him and sit someone who is better!"

When has anyone suggested signing someone who cant play but can fight?

Youre the worst on this board for putting words in other peoples mouths, as soon as its a 4th liner who can drop the gloves hes automatically only a fighter and useless in every other aspect according to you.

Maybe try watching the guys play for once and youll realize they do just as much as someone like Drew Miller

Edited by newfy

Brunnstrom had a decent training camp and now when you need to tie a game youre putting Brunnstrom out there?

Do you guys not realize that Brunnstrom wasnt even that guy in the AHL last season?

And once again Brunnstrom had 10 les pims in less games played than Nystrom last year, while 10 of Nystroms came in fights and I can guarantee a few were off setting roughings. Using stats and not bias against a player will show you that Brunnstrom actually takes more dumb penalties

The Wings have also been worn down physically in the playoffs by the sharks and Coyotes the last 2 seasons. Noone will like to acknowledge that because it makes their argument against a physical player sound better. Maybe if the wings could wear down another team for once they would do better in the playoffs

When has anyone suggested signing someone who cant play but can fight?

Youre the worst on this board for putting words in other peoples mouths, as soon as its a 4th liner who can drop the gloves hes automatically only a fighter and useless in every other aspect according to you.

Maybe try watching the guys play for once and youll realize they do just as much as someone like Drew Miller

That might be true, but, game 7 Nystrom wouldn't have scored the GWG. Brunnstrom had a bad year last year, but, he has talent. His attitude was always his issue not his skill level.

Am I the only one who doesn't think that the Sharks physically wore us down? They had a forecheck that kept our top guys from breaking it out, and a big issue with that was team defense as a whole. Not to mention a terrible penalty kill

Phoenix did in '10, but they were a non factor in '11.

"Hey, this guy can fight, but he's terrible in every other aspect, Wings should sign him and sit someone who is better!"

And by the same token: "Hey, this guy's never proven anything at the NHL level; Wings should sign him and sit someone who has!"

As for beating San Jose, some people seem to like to harp on how close they thought the series was, but when I was watching it, I saw a team afraid to go in the corners after pucks aggressively because the Sharks were beating them in the physical game. So icing a more physical team would have helped.

Yes, Holland doesn't like physical players who can fight; there's really no argument there. But we don't get to just ignore the fact that there are other GMs out there who DO sign those players, and they're winning cups. So please, dislike fighting all you want, but just stop stating your opinions as immutable facts and pretending like there's no possible other point of view.

And by the same token: "Hey, this guy's never proven anything at the NHL level; Wings should sign him and sit someone who has!"

As for beating San Jose, some people seem to like to harp on how close they thought the series was, but when I was watching it, I saw a team afraid to go in the corners after pucks aggressively because the Sharks were beating them in the physical game. So icing a more physical team would have helped.

Yes, Holland doesn't like physical players who can fight; there's really no argument there. But we don't get to just ignore the fact that there are other GMs out there who DO sign those players, and they're winning cups. So please, dislike fighting all you want, but just stop stating your opinions as immutable facts and pretending like there's no possible other point of view.

Well then better get our top 6 revamped. :lol:

That might be true, but, game 7 Nystrom wouldn't have scored the GWG. Brunnstrom had a bad year last year, but, he has talent. His attitude was always his issue not his skill level.

Yeah he would. It runs in the family.

Besides, it's the unsung guys who frequently score in the playoffs in OT. Remember Benn Ferriero scoring in OT against us last season? Or guys like Draper and Maltby, who always scored big goals for us in the playoffs in our Cup runs.

You need players like this to help in the scoring. The top 6 can't do all the work. The Wings have tried the last couple of seasons, but have failed because they got no secondary scoring.

Brunnstrom has talent, but I don't think of him as a 4th liner. He needs talented players around him in order to score. Otherwise, you're wasting his offense by throwing him on the 4th line. And we've already talked about Miller in this thread. He's not a better 4th liner than a guy like Nystrom.

Well then better get our top 6 revamped. :lol:

Maybe. Isn't that one of the arguments being levied for Brunnstrom? An option to change the top-six?

Mock all you want, but something wasn't working in those series the last two years. I love our players, and will support them no matter what, but sometimes sentiment isn't enough to win a cup. That's the reality of it.

If that's a shot about signing Brunnstrom i agree. I thought we shouldn't have signed him and instead should have played Nyquist.

As for my comment earlier, it seems every time some scrub gets waived , but fights, the fight slappies want Holland to pick him up even though he is absolute garbage. Case in point, this thread.

A. When has anyone suggested signing someone who cant play but can fight?

B. Youre the worst on this board for putting words in other peoples mouths, as soon as its a 4th liner who can drop the gloves hes automatically only a fighter and useless in every other aspect according to you.

C .Maybe try watching the guys play for once and youll realize they do just as much as someone like Drew Miller

A. This thread.

B. Not true in the slightest. There are plenty of guys that I like that also fight.

C. I do, I even point it out earlier in the thread. Maybe you should read the entire thread before trying to call me out ;)

If that's a shot about signing Brunnstrom i agree. I thought we shouldn't have signed him and instead should have played Nyquist.

As for my comment earlier, it seems every time some scrub gets waived , but fights, the fight slappies want Holland to pick him up even though he is absolute garbage. Case in point, this thread.

A. This thread.

B. Not true in the slightest. There are plenty of guys that I like that also fight.

C. I do, I even point it out earlier in the thread. Maybe you should read the entire thread before trying to call me out ;)

A) His offense is a wash with Miller on much worse teams. Nystrom would probably have better numbers if he got to play with Eaves and Helm most of last season. He also plays the PK and plays over 13 mins a night (2 more than Miller). He also only had 2 fights last season, but is capable when needed. So yeah I'm glad you pointed out you watch these guys and know a lot about them cause its pretty obvious youre a liar now lol.

B) Yeah you probably like Lucic and Christ Stewart because they score 30 goals while fighting. I guarantee you would say you like Miller more than any guy with a rep as a fighter even if they were pretty much equal in all other facets

C) Youve made it clear that this isnt true

A) His offense is a wash with Miller on much worse teams. Nystrom would probably have better numbers if he got to play with Eaves and Helm most of last season. He also plays the PK and plays over 13 mins a night (2 more than Miller). He also only had 2 fights last season, but is capable when needed. So yeah I'm glad you pointed out you watch these guys and know a lot about them cause its pretty obvious youre a liar now lol.

B) Yeah you probably like Lucic and Christ Stewart because they score 30 goals while fighting. I guarantee you would say you like Miller more than any guy with a rep as a fighter even if they were pretty much equal in all other facets

C) Youve made it clear that this isnt true

If two players were exactly the same and one could fight and they made the same salary, I'd pick the fighter. But when one player is significantly better than another player, i'll pick the better player if they are being paid the same regardless if they can fight. And Miller's offense is much better than Nystroms. Miller has more goals and points in 100 less games, that's pretty significant. Am I a liar? No. Are you misinformed about who you are arguing about? Possibly.

And no, I don't like Lucic, he's a punk. Guys I'd like over Miller for a fourth line role include, but are not limited to: Jamie Tardiff, Konopka, Crombeen (if he worked on his defense some), Prust (he can also slot into the 3rd line as well), Thornton (the crappier one), Hendricks.

Take a wild guess who my favorite non-Red Wing affiliated player is. Blues Brothers knows it and we both agree he NEEDS to be on our team, do you know? So quit thinking you know everything about me, because you are very off base trying to judge me and trying to judge my likes and dislikes.

A. This thread.

Mmm... I see what yoiu're saying with Nyquist and I wouldn't have been upset if it was his roster spot instead of Brunnstrom's, but I like the decision that was made there. I say keep as many assets as you can. Giving Brunnstrom a spot gives us another potential asset for the future - some have said they see him as a potential replacement for Holmstrom, etc. I think Nyquist is still too small - Brunnstrom as a full size NHL player. And, Nyquist will benefit more, I believe from playing all the time in GR instead of rotating games and plkaying 10-12 minutes when he does play, as Brunnstrom will. The Wings will lose a few players next year and Brunnstrom and Nyquist can potentially both step in and fill full-time roles at that time. Just my thoughts.

Also, totally agree with the bottom part of your post. Well, I can't speak to the parts about you specifically, but I just do not understand the pro-enforcer faction on this board. It seems as though they all want a fighter at all costs and it doesn;t really matter which one or if he even knows how to skate. It's like they all really love fighting and find hockey boring without it, but they don't want to say that. So, they make all these hollow arguments to justify wanting this goon or that goon without revealing that they just want a fighter because they fight - end of discussion - no other reason. I mean, a guy that drops the gloves becomes available.... you can bet that there will be a thread with his name on it on LGW within the hour, doesn't matter who it is or what else he can do, if anything. Somebody call Brent Severyn - we need him on this team.

It's like they all really love fighting and find hockey boring without it, but they don't want to say that. So, they make all these hollow arguments to justify wanting this goon or that goon without revealing that they just want a fighter because they fight - end of discussion - no other reason. I mean, a guy that drops the gloves becomes available.... you can bet that there will be a thread with his name on it on LGW within the hour, doesn't matter who it is or what else he can do, if anything. Somebody call Brent Severyn - we need him on this team.

Nope, Nystrom had all of 2 fights last year.

Its wanting someone who is capable when need be and is a physical player. Nystrom throws the body and is a big body that uses it.

Wheres the thread about Brian Mcgratton who was just claimed today by Nashville? Nowhere because while being one of the absolute toughest players in the league, not many (outside of GMR ;) ) want a goon like that.

Anyways Nystrom is on re-entry waivers now and now with only being on the hook for half his salary I would love to see the wings pick him up, didnt want him at 1.4 but would love him at 700,000. If they dont like him he could be waived when Mursak comes back in 2 months, if not they find a way to use him and it gives Babs his guy to help keep the flies off

Its wanting someone who is capable when need be and is a physical player. Nystrom throws the body and is a big body that uses it.

Wheres the thread about Brian Mcgratton who was just claimed today by Nashville? Nowhere because while being one of the absolute toughest players in the league, not many (outside of GMR ;) ) want a goon like that.

Anyways Nystrom is on re-entry waivers now and now with only being on the hook for half his salary I would love to see the wings pick him up, didnt want him at 1.4 but would love him at 700,000. If they dont like him he could be waived when Mursak comes back in 2 months, if not they find a way to use him and it gives Babs his guy to help keep the flies off

Yeah, maybe it wasn't the best place for that post as I was speaking more toward generalities than about Nystrom in general. I have no problem with the guy, I just don't see why we would want him on the Wings instead of any of the guys they have already. I kind of thought Commodore was the guy to 'keep the flies off,' and I liked that because I thought he could be useful in other areas of the game as well. That said, I really don't think that the 'flies' are really that much of an issue at this point.

I didn't mind Downey or Brad May, etc... I just didn't think they were really necessary is all.

I am genuinely and pleasantly surprised that there is no thread on McGrattan, though. Maybe I'm wrong and it's not like I said...maybe I'm just overcompensating the other way because it seems like (to me) there are so many people are so pro-fighters and think it is absolutely necessary and I just don't. I think it can be entertaining, but many fights are not necessary.

Yeah, I read about that today. I guess Stortini getting his bell run cost him his job.

Yeah, maybe it wasn't the best place for that post as I was speaking more toward generalities than about Nystrom in general. I have no problem with the guy, I just don't see why we would want him on the Wings instead of any of the guys they have already. I kind of thought Commodore was the guy to 'keep the flies off,' and I liked that because I thought he could be useful in other areas of the game as well. That said, I really don't think that the 'flies' are really that much of an issue at this point.

I didn't mind Downey or Brad May, etc... I just didn't think they were really necessary is all.

I am genuinely and pleasantly surprised that there is no thread on McGrattan, though. Maybe I'm wrong and it's not like I said...maybe I'm just overcompensating the other way because it seems like (to me) there are so many people are so pro-fighters and think it is absolutely necessary and I just don't. I think it can be entertaining, but many fights are not necessary.

I write McGrattan letters every night, asking him to contact the Wings. :(

If two players were exactly the same and one could fight and they made the same salary, I'd pick the fighter. But when one player is significantly better than another player, i'll pick the better player if they are being paid the same regardless if they can fight. And Miller's offense is much better than Nystroms. Miller has more goals and points in 100 less games, that's pretty significant. Am I a liar? No. Are you misinformed about who you are arguing about? Possibly.

And no, I don't like Lucic, he's a punk. Guys I'd like over Miller for a fourth line role include, but are not limited to: Jamie Tardiff, Konopka, Crombeen (if he worked on his defense some), Prust (he can also slot into the 3rd line as well), Thornton (the crappier one), Hendricks.

Take a wild guess who my favorite non-Red Wing affiliated player is. Blues Brothers knows it and we both agree he NEEDS to be on our team, do you know? So quit thinking you know everything about me, because you are very off base trying to judge me and trying to judge my likes and dislikes.

:unsure:

Chris Simon?

:unsure:

Chris Simon?

Pretty sure its Derek Dorsett, which is pretty laughable considering him and Nystrom are very similar players, with only a 3 year age difference. The difference being that Dorsett takes way more hot head penalties and has pretty similar offensive production.

I think hes a great energy player but is on no different skill level than Nystrom who is being torn up in this thread by him.

I may remmeber wrong but I'm pretty sure lol

Nystrom has cleared re-entry waivers, so expect the Wild to make some sort of move. Montreal could use a 4th line center.

I watched Derek Dorsett play in Syracuse when the Crunch were affiliated with the Blue Jackets, and i'm telling you guys, he's got some offensive upside. He can play 3rd line minutes, and he's afraid of nobody. Put him on a line with Abdelkader and Helm/Eaves, he'll put up 25 points, and add that gritty presence to the lineup.

As far as McGrattan, I watched him play last year, and he turned out to be a pleasant surprise for the Crunch. Scored 10 points in 20 games with Syracuse last year, and improved his skating a bit. I realize AHL stats don't directly translate to the NHL, but he looked a lot quicker last year. I know many will disagree with this, but i'd love to have McGrattan as a 13th forward for when we play Anaheim and other more physical teams. Obviously, i'd take Dorsett first, because he's more versatile, and we could play him on the 3rd/4th line in the playoffs, as well.