• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:04 AM

Hockeyfights.com, a paradise for enforcer-slappies like myself, is reporting the NHL saw 72 fights (Fight is characterized by an altercation in which at least 1 of the 2 players gets a fighting major) in 108 pre-season games, the lowest in over a decade. According to the site:

*The 2010-2011 pre-season saw 115 fights in 106 games.
*The 2009-2010 pre-season saw 164 fights in 109 games.
* The 2008-2009 pre-season saw 151 fights in 111 games.

Are we seeing the effects of the deaths of Boogaard, Rypien, and Belak over the summer? Are guys more cautious about fighting? Or could it be the suspensions of a lot of "enforcers" like Shelley, Leblond, and Staubitz in the pre-season that dropped the numbers so significantly? Will these numbers translate into the regular season?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#2 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:02 AM

Meh, doesn't matter to me. Maybe less fighters are playing and that's why the numbers are down. They could be higher or lower, still won't matter to me.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#3 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

This stat is 100% attributed to Lilja's concussion...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#4 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:20 AM

This stat is 100% attributed to Lilja's concussion...

WEBERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Posted Image

#5 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:24 AM

About this matter... I'm letting this cat to inform you my opinion on my behalf.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#6 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:46 AM

newfy DON'T DO IT

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#7 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

Hockeyfights.com, a paradise for enforcer-slappies like myself, is reporting the NHL saw 72 fights (Fight is characterized by an altercation in which at least 1 of the 2 players gets a fighting major) in 108 pre-season games, the lowest in over a decade. According to the site:

Are we seeing the effects of the deaths of Boogaard, Rypien, and Belak over the summer? Are guys more cautious about fighting? Or could it be the suspensions of a lot of "enforcers" like Shelley, Leblond, and Staubitz in the pre-season that dropped the numbers so significantly? Will these numbers translate into the regular season?

For the pre-season games I watched, most of the potential match-ups happened, or the game was dull. Also, IMO most of the enforcers with a guaranteed roster spot did not fight much. Also, looking at last year, there were a lot of instigators and it's possible there weren't as many big hits after the suspensions handed out early in the pre-season. With players on the fringe of making a team, having a suspension could severely hurt their chance at making the team.

For those interested, here is the team-by-team list of fighting majors in the pre-season. http://www.hockeyfig...teams/1/pre2012

#8 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

TBH I really think the guys in the NHL who are likely to fight have the deaths of Boo, Rypien and Belak in the back of their minds. All those guys died way too young. :( I'm not saying fighting has to go-- I'm saying this summer's been pretty damn tragic for our sport and people are very aware of it.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#9 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Those are strange stats. Fighting was at its lowest around 2005-2007 if I'm not mistaken. It went up since then.

We'll see what the trend is this season.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#10 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

TBH I really think the guys in the NHL who are likely to fight have the deaths of Boo, Rypien and Belak in the back of their minds. All those guys died way too young. :( I'm not saying fighting has to go-- I'm saying this summer's been pretty damn tragic for our sport and people are very aware of it.

http://bleacherrepor...fighting-in-nhl

A pretty good viewpoint on the issue, I thought I'd share. I'm not saying the death's aren't tragic but blaming it on fighting is a bit much.

#11 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

Honestly, we probably would've seen 49 more fights if there would've been 3 more preseason games.
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#12 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

WEBERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Fast forward to about 5:50. :P

#13 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

the more fights the better.

#14 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

the more fights the better.

Not to me, I'd rather not see players die young and would rather see the game of hockey played with skill and toughness that is tied to the actual game and not just punches.

#15 DatsyukianDangles122

DatsyukianDangles122

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

For some crazy reason I read the title as 'Red Wings funding lowest in more than a decade"
I panicked.

#16 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

Fast forward to about 5:50. :P

haha, perfect.
Posted Image

#17 martyrme19

martyrme19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

Not to me, I'd rather not see players die young and would rather see the game of hockey played with skill and toughness that is tied to the actual game and not just punches.

I mean, are you serious? You do know that hockey has seen fighting since the birth of its existence, right? It IS the game. Besides, whether there is fighting or not, there will always be 20 minutes of game time where the puck is in play so you don't have to worry.

You know that fighting has nothing to do with these players deaths, right? I mean, you know that fighting has existed in hockey for more than 5 years ago and that there haven't been any issues like this before? But then maybe you'll site Proberts premature death. But then i'll just retort with his destructive life style and cocain addiction - so don't bother.
Just for the record, the weather today is slightly sarcastic with a good chance of rain.

#18 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

I mean, are you serious? You do know that hockey has seen fighting since the birth of its existence, right? It IS the game. Besides, whether there is fighting or not, there will always be 20 minutes of game time where the puck is in play so you don't have to worry.

You know that fighting has nothing to do with these players deaths, right? I mean, you know that fighting has existed in hockey for more than 5 years ago and that there haven't been any issues like this before? But then maybe you'll site Proberts premature death. But then i'll just retort with his destructive life style and cocain addiction - so don't bother.

Enforcers are a different breed, they have a much tougher NHL career which really hurts their psyche. They are always on the edge of being on the time, they have to hide concussions so they can remain on the team.

Another major factor in this is the pain pills. Narcotic painkillers, in their lowest dose form, barely touch a bigger man. A five milligram Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) is basically Advil to some hockey players. And that's how it starts.
These guys put their faces, knuckles and more on the line almost every game, and because of that, they experience higher highs and lower lows than most players. That's their life, and it pushes them to need relief more than others.

I don't know, I just don't think it's a huge coincidence that we lost 3 young hockey players in a couple months, and they all had a similar role and shared a certain play style.

#19 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

Enforcers are a different breed, they have a much tougher NHL career which really hurts their psyche. They are always on the edge of being on the time, they have to hide concussions so they can remain on the team.

Another major factor in this is the pain pills. Narcotic painkillers, in their lowest dose form, barely touch a bigger man. A five milligram Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) is basically Advil to some hockey players. And that's how it starts.
These guys put their faces, knuckles and more on the line almost every game, and because of that, they experience higher highs and lower lows than most players. That's their life, and it pushes them to need relief more than others.

I don't know, I just don't think it's a huge coincidence that we lost 3 young hockey players in a couple months, and they all had a similar role and shared a certain play style.

Yup it was fighting, not the death of a nephew causing severe depression, an accidental overdose on painkillers or a cocaine addicted lifestyle that did these guys in young

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#20 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

Yup it was fighting, not the death of a nephew causing severe depression, an accidental overdose on painkillers or a cocaine addicted lifestyle that did these guys in young

Enforcers seems to have an affinity for these lifestyles more than other hockey players.

Ferdoruk believes most NHL enforcers have issues off the ice. Mental things that drag them down.

He says most enforcers are never really secure in their role or with their team and are always wondering whether they “fit.” That’s their common bond, he said.

“It seems more and more, the guys who are demon fighters are the ones who play this role,” he said. “I don’t know if this goes hand-in-hand or you have to be a little crazy to do what we do. It’s a price you pay.”

http://www.csnphilly...6996&feedID=704