• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Report: Pre-season Fighting Lowest in More Than a Decade

Rate this topic

Hockeyfights.com, a paradise for enforcer-slappies like myself, is reporting the NHL saw 72 fights (Fight is characterized by an altercation in which at least 1 of the 2 players gets a fighting major) in 108 pre-season games, the lowest in over a decade. According to the site:

*The 2010-2011 pre-season saw 115 fights in 106 games.

*The 2009-2010 pre-season saw 164 fights in 109 games.

* The 2008-2009 pre-season saw 151 fights in 111 games.

Are we seeing the effects of the deaths of Boogaard, Rypien, and Belak over the summer? Are guys more cautious about fighting? Or could it be the suspensions of a lot of "enforcers" like Shelley, Leblond, and Staubitz in the pre-season that dropped the numbers so significantly? Will these numbers translate into the regular season?

Hockeyfights.com, a paradise for enforcer-slappies like myself, is reporting the NHL saw 72 fights (Fight is characterized by an altercation in which at least 1 of the 2 players gets a fighting major) in 108 pre-season games, the lowest in over a decade. According to the site:

Are we seeing the effects of the deaths of Boogaard, Rypien, and Belak over the summer? Are guys more cautious about fighting? Or could it be the suspensions of a lot of "enforcers" like Shelley, Leblond, and Staubitz in the pre-season that dropped the numbers so significantly? Will these numbers translate into the regular season?

TBH I really think the guys in the NHL who are likely to fight have the deaths of Boo, Rypien and Belak in the back of their minds. All those guys died way too young. :( I'm not saying fighting has to go-- I'm saying this summer's been pretty damn tragic for our sport and people are very aware of it.

TBH I really think the guys in the NHL who are likely to fight have the deaths of Boo, Rypien and Belak in the back of their minds. All those guys died way too young. :( I'm not saying fighting has to go-- I'm saying this summer's been pretty damn tragic for our sport and people are very aware of it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/836560-wade-belaks-death-is-no-reason-to-stop-fighting-in-nhl

A pretty good viewpoint on the issue, I thought I'd share. I'm not saying the death's aren't tragic but blaming it on fighting is a bit much.

Honestly, we probably would've seen 49 more fights if there would've been 3 more preseason games.

Not to me, I'd rather not see players die young and would rather see the game of hockey played with skill and toughness that is tied to the actual game and not just punches.

I mean, are you serious? You do know that hockey has seen fighting since the birth of its existence, right? It IS the game. Besides, whether there is fighting or not, there will always be 20 minutes of game time where the puck is in play so you don't have to worry.

You know that fighting has nothing to do with these players deaths, right? I mean, you know that fighting has existed in hockey for more than 5 years ago and that there haven't been any issues like this before? But then maybe you'll site Proberts premature death. But then i'll just retort with his destructive life style and cocain addiction - so don't bother.

I mean, are you serious? You do know that hockey has seen fighting since the birth of its existence, right? It IS the game. Besides, whether there is fighting or not, there will always be 20 minutes of game time where the puck is in play so you don't have to worry.

You know that fighting has nothing to do with these players deaths, right? I mean, you know that fighting has existed in hockey for more than 5 years ago and that there haven't been any issues like this before? But then maybe you'll site Proberts premature death. But then i'll just retort with his destructive life style and cocain addiction - so don't bother.

Enforcers are a different breed, they have a much tougher NHL career which really hurts their psyche. They are always on the edge of being on the time, they have to hide concussions so they can remain on the team.

Another major factor in this is the pain pills. Narcotic painkillers, in their lowest dose form, barely touch a bigger man. A five milligram Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) is basically Advil to some hockey players. And that's how it starts.

These guys put their faces, knuckles and more on the line almost every game, and because of that, they experience higher highs and lower lows than most players. That's their life, and it pushes them to need relief more than others.

I don't know, I just don't think it's a huge coincidence that we lost 3 young hockey players in a couple months, and they all had a similar role and shared a certain play style.

Enforcers are a different breed, they have a much tougher NHL career which really hurts their psyche. They are always on the edge of being on the time, they have to hide concussions so they can remain on the team.

Another major factor in this is the pain pills. Narcotic painkillers, in their lowest dose form, barely touch a bigger man. A five milligram Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) is basically Advil to some hockey players. And that's how it starts.

These guys put their faces, knuckles and more on the line almost every game, and because of that, they experience higher highs and lower lows than most players. That's their life, and it pushes them to need relief more than others.

I don't know, I just don't think it's a huge coincidence that we lost 3 young hockey players in a couple months, and they all had a similar role and shared a certain play style.

Yup it was fighting, not the death of a nephew causing severe depression, an accidental overdose on painkillers or a cocaine addicted lifestyle that did these guys in young

Yup it was fighting, not the death of a nephew causing severe depression, an accidental overdose on painkillers or a cocaine addicted lifestyle that did these guys in young

Enforcers seems to have an affinity for these lifestyles more than other hockey players.

Ferdoruk believes most NHL enforcers have issues off the ice. Mental things that drag them down.

He says most enforcers are never really secure in their role or with their team and are always wondering whether they “fit.” That’s their common bond, he said.

“It seems more and more, the guys who are demon fighters are the ones who play this role,” he said. “I don’t know if this goes hand-in-hand or you have to be a little crazy to do what we do. It’s a price you pay.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/08/31/11/Former-Flyer-Fedoruk-battles-demons-to-g/news%5Fflyers.html?blockID=556996&feedID=704

Enforcers seems to have an affinity for these lifestyles more than other hockey players.

http://www.csnphilly.com/08/31/11/Former-Flyer-Fedoruk-battles-demons-to-g/news%5Fflyers.html?blockID=556996&feedID=704

Yeah to grow up playing a style of game like that youve probably got s*** going on in your life that messeswith you a bit. Theo Fleury is an example of a rough player who had demons that he took out on people on the ice.

For all you know fighting helps keep these guys stable by getting out some of their problems.

Probie was drinking 12 beers a night by 17, and thats before he took much head trauma from fighting... So how did fighting cause that?

Probie was drinking 12 beers a night by 17, and thats before he took much head trauma from fighting... So how did fighting cause that?

Fighting in hockey causes tooth decay, male pattern baldness, global warming, and communism. True story.

Oh, also, on LGW correlation always equals causation. Where there's smoke, there's fire, and certainly not a couple anti-fire posters holding a smoke machine!

Fighting in hockey causes tooth decay, male pattern baldness, global warming, and communism. True story.

Oh, also, on LGW correlation always equals causation. Where there's smoke, there's fire, and certainly not a couple anti-fire posters holding a smoke machine!

I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You failed to mention that it causes arson, public executions, gun control, and animal abuse, as well. Seems players are finally realizing the consequences of these silly punch in the face contests.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros