Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

Here's how I would do it:

Eastern Conference:

1) North East Division = Montreal, Winnepeg, Toronto, Ottawa
2) Colonial Division = Boston, Philadelphia, New York Rangers, Washington
3) Atlantic Division = Buffalo, New York Islanders, New Jersey Devils, Pittsburg
4) South East Division = Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida, Nashville

Western Conference:

1) Midwest Division = Detroit, Columbus, Chicago, Minnesota
2) Southern Division = St. Louis, Dallas, Colorado, Phoenix
3) Pacific Division = Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Portland
4) North West Division = Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle

Each team gets:

(6) games vs eacg division opponent = 18 games
(4) games against each non-division, conference opponent = 48 games
(1) game against each opposing conference opponent (alternate 2 divisions away / 2 divisions home each year) = 16 games

total games = 82 games

DONE.

If they did this kind of re-alignment I would lobby for the conferences to no longer be divided geographically, but evenly, so both conferences have east and west coast teams, north, south teams, etc. This way all teams will have to deal with long road trips equally throughout the Regular season and post season.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#22 heretic69

heretic69

Only the Sith deal in absolutes

• Gold Booster
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

If the Wings move to the Southeast I will touch my no-no spot.

Repeatedly.

#23 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:54 PM

The wings should be in the leafs division, they should just do away with east west imo, the array of teams in the nhl is just too spread out and skewed to the north

Edited by jollymania, 11 October 2011 - 10:55 PM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#24 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:26 PM

*ahem*

If you have a problem with this proposal, then let me tell you this:

PLEASE DON'T F--- THIS UP FOR ME!!!!

Thank you.

#25 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

Ummm....

Didn't you forget to elaborate on something in your post?

Yah, I've added a couple teams that don't exist currently = Seattle Slewfoots and the Portland Pistols.

I just think the 16 team conferences make things cleaner. I don't like 6 divisions of 5 teams each. I like 8 divisions of 4 teams each. Top team from each division and then 4 wild cards after that for playoffs.

#26 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:43 AM

First off ummm Southeast Division???????????? Unless I'm reading a Map wrong Detroit is NORTH????? Secondly exactly why do we want the Wings to move East?? Yes it would probably mean more Eastern Conference teams for the Wings to play and for us fans to see but aren't the Wings doing fine in the West?? I mean Numerous Divisional Championship, 5 Conference (Playoff) Championships, Not sure how many President's Trophy Championships since being in the West and 4 Stanley Cup Championships?? What is the big incentive for the Wings to move East and why do so many Wings fans want to move east?? I'm just wondering, not trying to start anything but I guess I just need to be educated.

Edited by Dimaline312000, 12 October 2011 - 08:43 AM.

#27 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

First off ummm Southeast Division???????????? Unless I'm reading a Map wrong Detroit is NORTH????? Secondly exactly why do we want the Wings to move East?? Yes it would probably mean more Eastern Conference teams for the Wings to play and for us fans to see but aren't the Wings doing fine in the West?? I mean Numerous Divisional Championship, 5 Conference (Playoff) Championships, Not sure how many President's Trophy Championships since being in the West and 4 Stanley Cup Championships?? What is the big incentive for the Wings to move East and why do so many Wings fans want to move east?? I'm just wondering, not trying to start anything but I guess I just need to be educated.

It's because the Wings are in the eastern time zone. West coast games don't start until after the kids are in bed and don't end until after the teenagers get home. Loooooooooong time for mom and dad to be awake to watch hockey.

Plus the team would have to do a lot less traveling and not have to deal with time zone changes until the SCF.

#28 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

Fans want the Wings to move East because:
1. Game start times would all be in the Eastern time zone which means not having to stay up until 1am on week nights to watch the Wings play on the West coast. Obvioulsy the Wings would have some games out west under the current scheduling structure but the amount would be significantly cut down.
2. Moving east would cut down on the amount of travel the Wings would have to do which not only saves the Wings money but fans care about this because players will be less fatigued and beaten up. Every year when the Wings get back from their 5ish game West road trip and have a home game they get walloped. Think of the playoffs and constantly having to travel west and play out of their time zones.

Those are the two biggest for me.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#29 DatZetterfanfromSC

DatZetterfanfromSC

Prospect

• 30 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

It doesn't make any sence to put them in the southeast, BUT, I'd love if they did....BEING THAT IM FROM SOUTH CAROLINA, I'd get to see them play more than "Maybe" once a year. Any move east would help with the schedule though.

#30 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

1. Easier schedule re: traveling
2. Easier schedule re: teams
3. Fewer west coast trips, meaning the fans don't have to stay up until the witching hour just to see who wins

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#31 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

You know, this is starting to turn into a situation where I would actually be happy if Bettman turned out to be a liar & the Wings stayed in the Central. Come on Bettman, be the little weasel we all know you can be & get the BoGs to move Nashville to the SE!

Posted Image

#32 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

So what happened to league re-alignment? This is essentially a switching of two teams.

I for one have no problem with the move. That's a weak division traditionally and I want the Wings in the east. Yeah, it makes no geographical sense, but neither does having Washington in the southeast.

Besides, in a few years, Florida will most likely move from that division as well.

Washington in the southeast makes geographical sense from the perspective of "these are the 15 furthest east teams" x "these are the 5 furthest south teams"

Who would you suggest instead? Pittsburgh? Philadelphia? Any other team in the East is either further north or in the division.

As for the realignment; Detroit to the Northeast, Buffalo to the Atlantic, Pittsburgh to the Southeast. I'd use Boston instead of Buffalo but that cuts into the BOS/MTL rivalry.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#33 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

All Eastern time zone teams should just be in the EASTERN conference. How's that for logic? its probably too simple for Bettman and co. I know we have a huge draw in the West, but that shouldn't be reason to keep us in a conference we shouldve never been in to begin with. Heck, if it means going East, i'll take the southwest...as much as that doesn't make sense it's still better than this.

#34 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

Not ideal but if it's the only way the Wings can get to the East, I'm happy to take it... Plus being in a division with Ovechkin and Tampa would be great

#35 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

Just doesn't make sense, but a lot in this league doesn't

It doesn't make sense. But it makes about as much a sense as having a team in the Eastern time zone, play half their games in different times zones all across the continent. Between the two, Detroit in the Southeast makes more sense.

#36 legaleaglewingsfan

legaleaglewingsfan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

I am torn on this possible move. As someone from North Central Ohio I love having what is essentially a Wings home game three times a year in Columbus which is approx 45 min from where I live, I also appreciate I am spoiled as I am only 3ish hours from JLA and actual home games but still its nice to go to a Wings game and only be out till 11ish at night. I guess the best answer is to make someone else move West and let the Wings red headed step sister CBJ come with us East.

Or as other posters have indicated just create two geographical blind conferences with geographical divisions so everyone is traveling to the coasts and so forth.

Edited by legaleaglewingsfan, 12 October 2011 - 12:56 PM.

#37 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

Article on this on TSN.CA/NHL right now. I seriously got a headache reading the whole thing. Right in the beginning of the article it says something like every hockey fan thinks they have it figured out. So true.

#38 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

Original 6 division:
Wings
LEafs
BRuins
HAwks
Rangers
Habs

Canada division
Vancouver
Winnipeg
Calgary
Edmonton
Ottawa
Wild**

Expansion division:
Philly
Pitt
Blues
LA
Isles
Sabres

Gary Bettman Memorial division:
Panthers
Lightning
Predators
Coyotes
Hurricanes
Stars

Other division
Jackets
Avalanche
Ducks
Sharks
Caps
Devils

**or move phoenix or someone in the bettman memorial division to QC, put the ducks in the betman memorial division and move the wild into the other division

Edited by jollymania, 12 October 2011 - 01:23 PM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#39 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

It's because the Wings are in the eastern time zone. West coast games don't start until after the kids are in bed and don't end until after the teenagers get home. Loooooooooong time for mom and dad to be awake to watch hockey.

Plus the team would have to do a lot less traveling and not have to deal with time zone changes until the SCF.

Ok now I see why most of you would want the Wings to move East. I definetly understand the Time Zone Change and the Wings having to play so many late games. That would be great to not have to stay up till 12 or 1 in the Morning to see a full game when they start at 10. I definetly wouldn't mind seeing less Western and Western Canadian Road Trips. It would be great to see more Eastern Teams on the schedule. So I see what's so great about the Eastern move. Whatever happens I'll be happy with. I'm fine with how it is now but I wouldn't be upset to see the Wings move to the Eastern Conference. Thanks to everyone for the eye opener.

#40 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

I want the Wings east.... Badly. I know everyone is trying to say Nashville but that just adds to the time zone problems. Every game Nashville plays against a conference team would be out of their timezone. Everyone.

obviously geographically Detroit to the Atlantic or northeast makes more sense, but this could be a stopgap until they figure out what the hell Phoenix is doing. That's when a more permanent solution should be made.

Every one is saying it's a horrible division but they do have the Caps, Bolts (game 7 conf. Finals), hurricanes are becoming a better team with Skinner, Murphy. Dalpe, and Florida should be improving too. It is no worse the. Our division and it would be a lot of fun battling the Caps and Bolts for the division instead of Just Chicago and their "core".

Yes the travel won't be as easy as being in the Atlantic but heck it beats the hell out of traveling to Edmonton, Vancouver, Anahiem, San Jose, La,