• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dragonballgtz

Roenick's Rant

Rate this topic

I saw a bit of his rant and the one piece the concerns me is when he appeared to say that Crosby should just get on the ice and start taking contact. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume what he meant was that he wants to see him move to the next level and get back soon, that's what he wants to see, not seeing him get interviewed with no updates. I'm not sure though.

Other than that, I agree with him, even though he sounds like a bit of an idiot when he says it.

Here's the big problem.....the members of the media will continue to ask Crosby questions as often as possible because they will want to be the ones that gets the big story out first. That's simply how it works.

Quite possibly the first time I've ever agreed with Jeremy Roenick. I saw on ESPN's bottom line yesterday on the NHL's "Crosby" section that there was nothing new to report. The hell is it even there for, then?

The only reason I can think there was some sort of reporting on ESPN yesterday is because there was news Monday night that Crosby might be seeing his doctors yesterday and there was expectation that he would be cleared for contact. When the media spoke to Crosby yesterday, he said that he did not have an appointment, he would be seeing doctors later in the week and it was a routine meeting. I guess the ESPN news reporting went out to clarify that "screw up" by someone.

Here's the big problem.....the members of the media will continue to ask Crosby questions as often as possible because they will want to be the ones that gets the big story out first. That's simply how it works.

That's exactly it. It really has nothing to do with Crosby as the media does this with everything making news out of the non-newsworthy.

Leave Crosby alone. I'm sure he's chomping at the bit to get into a game and the Pens will be all too eager to let us know when he's ready to play.

Edited by ElCapitan

Guest Shoreline

I have to agree, only partly, with Roenick's beef about how much attention Crosby is getting for things that aren't even remotely newsworthy. Concussions are s***ty. I've had one before. However, all this excessive attention and embellished concern about injuries does is help fuel the exaggerated woes of hitting and fighting in the NHL because of all the constant attention placed on a single player who's having difficulty getting back on the ice. I want Crosby back and playing as soon as he possibly can, I have no dislike toward the guy that quite a number on this forum have, but I'm also getting pretty tired of the same story taking top headlines. During the preseason, okay, there's nothing going on, but now it's the regular season, so either they start talking about something else or I simply stop paying attention to these media outlets. No other choice really.

They can keep asking him but they don't have to report it to us, that way whoever is first to report that he is coming back can take all the glory.

I am definitely sick of hearing about him now that the season is started, they should focus on the games being played now and the players that are actually playing. Everyone heals differently, it took Lilja a year before he was ok to play, so they should just leave him alone and let him or the team announce when he'll be back.

Guest CaliWingsNut

sigh... I hate the media.

First they talk about Crosby till everyone's tired of hearing about him.

Then they have some other talking head (that's all Roenick is now) ask why were spending too much time talking about Crosby. There's no difference. Next we'll have responses to why the media is talking so much about a player that isn't even ******* playing.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Isn't this what espn does with all the American athletes?

They overcover people like Lebron and Favre, by talking about every minute detail of their lives.

Ya, but Crosby isn't American, so ESPN reporting on him so much doesn't relate....anyway though, enough Crosby talk, let the guy be alone, heal and announce when he may or may not return. My guess is he returns a few weeks before the playoffs to get in game shape and then plays the playoffs. (if the pens make the playoffs)

Interesting response from Phil Bourque. Sounds like he is defending Crosby by saying "do you think he wants to speak to the media everyday"....problem is, I don't think JR was taking a shot at Sid, he was taking a shot at the media. He also said that the first thing he learned when he joined the media was to think before you speak.....maybe he should have thought a little bit before he slandered JR quite a bit.

http://www.1059thex.com/player/?station=WXDX-FM&program_name=podcast&program_id=interviews.xml&mid=21489320

I didn't really have a problem with his rant too much, there was a lot of debate about this over the summer and on a certain level I could understand his frustration. One side (Pittsburgh media especially) wanted updates from Crosby and wanted to know why he wasn't giving updates, others (like me) were on the "enough already, let him be, if there was a update he'd give one" side.

The only point I didn't agree with was JR's "I know concussions are bad, but let's get to playing, let's get going" point of view...thanks, Dr. Roenick.

Doesn't matter now. Crosby's cleared for contact and seems to be on schedule to return fairly soon.

Edited by Free_Candy

Last night that 6pm Sportscenter had another one of their thirty seconds sit-downs about hockey with Melrose. Did they talk about the season so far, or maybe about the night's matchup between the two highest scoring teams in the league last season, or even about the Pens-Caps game? No, they talked about Crosby and there was nothing to report.

Hell, I'd be alright with an update about nothing once a week even. But you don't need to report there's no news every single day. There's an actual sport being played out on the ice each night with some amazing plays....maybe mention that once in awhile.

I realize that this isn't Sid's fault, it is the ridiculousness of the media that covers him. Is it any wonder that so many hockey fans seem to hate him though? There are more people who aren't Pens/Crosby fans than are. So, basically being told that your team and interests matter less than the non-newsworthy gossip of a guy who isn't even playing is infuriating and also makes Crosby a target for more hatred.

Last night that 6pm Sportscenter had another one of their thirty seconds sit-downs about hockey with Melrose. Did they talk about the season so far, or maybe about the night's matchup between the two highest scoring teams in the league last season, or even about the Pens-Caps game? No, they talked about Crosby and there was nothing to report.

Hell, I'd be alright with an update about nothing once a week even. But you don't need to report there's no news every single day. There's an actual sport being played out on the ice each night with some amazing plays....maybe mention that once in awhile.

I realize that this isn't Sid's fault, it is the ridiculousness of the media that covers him. Is it any wonder that so many hockey fans seem to hate him though? There are more people who aren't Pens/Crosby fans than are. So, basically being told that your team and interests matter less than the non-newsworthy gossip of a guy who isn't even playing is infuriating and also makes Crosby a target for more hatred.

Well, actually, yesterday was probably the most newsworthy thing to report about Crosby in the past 9 months. Being cleared for contact is huge. All that needs to happen now is for him to take contact in practice for a bit and ensure no symptoms and he'll be back playing and then we're done with it hopefully.

The one problem though is that the Pens have a lot of games early on here so they won't have much of an opportunity to get in a lot of high tempo, hitting practices. Practices on day games are non-contact and when you play back to back or even only one day off in between games, the non-day games aren't always going to have practices either because the guys need rest here and there. So, his return could be delayed due to that, which means we may be getting more and more useless news for longer than we should otherwise get it.

Well, actually, yesterday was probably the most newsworthy thing to report about Crosby in the past 9 months. Being cleared for contact is huge. All that needs to happen now is for him to take contact in practice for a bit and ensure no symptoms and he'll be back playing and then we're done with it hopefully.

Wow, you're right. I'm so used to spacing out when they report about Crosby that I completely forgot.

Wait till he starts playing and they take an hour every show analyzing the hits he takes. Or how about when they run those replays showing how he almost got hit. Close call heh?

I just shut it off between periods now unless it's FSN.