• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

CBJ's Rough Start

Rate this topic

Noticing that the BJs are 0-3 to start the season, and going 0-16 on the PP. What the problem here? I havent been able to watch them at all.

I suspected they would have a breakout season, and possibly even put up a fight for the central division crown now that they have Carter and Wizzy (still suspended i know) on top of Nash and Mason. Any body have any input?

Noticing that the BJs are 0-3 to start the season, and going 0-16 on the PP. What the problem here? I havent been able to watch them at all.

I suspected they would have a breakout season, and possibly evenput up a fight for the central division crown now that they have Carter and Wizzy (still suspended i know) on top of Nash and Mason. Any body have any input?

I never thought they had this potenial. In fact, I had them pegged as a non-playoff team. It's only been three games, but they are not a deep team and an 0-3 start is not surprising. 0-16 on the PP is a little strange but that should improve when Wizniewski returns from bone-head land.

I get FSN-Ohio...

They can't complete a single pass. It's difficult to watch. Not to mention that Nash doesn't know what to do with decent linemates, he looks like a puck hog. Outside of Nash, Carter, and Prospal, they have absolutely no scoring depth. Their defense is chockablock full of guys who love to pinch, which is encouraged by Arniel's run and gun strategy. That means there is plenty of room for other team's offense with a defensman playing out of position. Usually that could be covered by defensive minded forwards, but their guys like Sammy Pahlsson are slowing up and can't get back in time. Then there is Mason and his easily breakable ego.

For them to have any sort of decent year, they need about two more stay at home defensman, Umberger, Brassard, or Vermette to start producing and hope that Huselius can produce when he gets back. Then, Mason needs to play like he hasn't in two years.

TL;DR: They're screwed.

Edited to fix ellipsis.

Edited by InKennyWeTrust

Not even the TV stations gave a s*** last night :P my center ice feed gave me the jumbotron with the radio announcers! Ultra-super ghetto broadcast...

But yeah, Mason had a few good saves last night and I thought they'd pull out their first win.. but Colorado has a pretty good unit (despite their loss to us) and just clicked better.

Not to mention that Nash doesn't know what to do with decent linemates, he looks like a puck hog.

That there is a big issue too, for a while Nash was pretty much -it-. With others on his line, he needs to learn to rely a bit more on his other forwards instead of trying to do it all himself.

I get FSN-Ohio...

Outside of Nash, Carter, and Prospal, they have absolutely no scoring depth. Their defense is chockablock full of guys who love to pinch, which is encouraged by Arniel's run and gun strategy.

I think you and others have brought up these points that seem to be a problem for them right now. They have one scoring line. Prospal has actually been a pretty good pick up assuming he continues the way he's playing right now. Their D last year was atrocious, so far they haven't really seemed to improve that. Like you, I thought (and still do) that Columbus will break out and be vastly improved aka contend for the 7th or 8th seed and be a tough opponent. They're just off to a really slow, sloppy start. Interestingly enough, when they started 0-3 it was the first time they've ever done that in their history. So it's a really slow start, but to get out of it, like any other team, they just need to do the little things the right way....stop trying to toss long passes when you don't have an open lane etc

So many people overrated the moves they made last summer. I'm not saying that as an insult to the OP but too many think that Wisniewski and Carter are elite players - which they are not. Wisniewski will definitely help their powerplay upon his return and Carter will eventually mesh with Nash but this team is weak defensively (which makes Mason looks worse) and they have no scoring depth. Umberger, Propsal and Vermette are fine players but they are counted on way more than they can produce.

I dont think they make the playoffs

Fair. Market. Value.

esteef

This is just an awesome post. lol Seriously, I don't really see why some people would think the Jackets would break out all of a sudden. Sure they got Jeff Carter, but he made it very clear that he doesn't want to be there. Not exactly what you're looking for in a first line center. Plus, the defense is still lousy, with or without Wiz. The Central is a tough division. It'll take more than a couple new players to become a playoff contender. This isn't the East ya know.

Upgrading from having one good player to three good players still means you don't have very many good players.

I laughed.

I thought they'd fight for the 8th spot along with St. Louis while the Black Hawks and us fought for the division crown and nashiville would pull a Nashville and finish between 6 and 4.

I suspected they would have a breakout season, and possibly even put up a fight for the central division crown now that they have Carter and Wizzy (still suspended i know) on top of Nash and Mason. Any body have any input?

Well, maybe it is some small consolation to Columbus that they aren't alone on the starting 0 for 16 on the power play part.

Well, they made the playoffs several years back with a not much better roster than this one.

Of course, Mason basically carried them that year. Without him playing at that level, they're unable to overcome their other problems.

You mean the year Mason was 21st in save percentage while facing only 27 shots per game? The year Rick Nash scored 40 goals?

Mason was not the one carrying the team. He simply got the hype because he had some strong games behind a defense full of good solid stay at home guys like Mike Commodore. It was Nash's team.

Guest 13GoWings40

Carter is hurt (link).

So how long does a hairline fracture on top of your foot keep you out for? I'm sure it hurts like hell but does anyone think he'll be out for more than a couple games?