• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Norwegian Red Wing

No NHL for European fans

Rate this topic

Im just sad.. Two days before season-opener it was known that ESPN America (the one provider of NHL-games to tv-viewers in Europe) would not send any games this season. NHL was asking too much, it was said..

Then news was updated with ESPNAnot giving up, but still trying to buy the rights from Medge Consulting (owning rights in Europe).

But now it is final...

The following is the latest statement from ESPN America on the NHL TV rights for the UK and Europe:

“Unfortunately, the NHL will not be part of the programming schedule on ESPN and ESPN America in the UK, Ireland or Nordic countries this season.

ESPN spoke to the NHL and their rights holders about continuing a partnership in these regions but we could not reach an agreement that worked for everyone.

We wish the National Hockey League and its new partners all the best while we remain in active discussions with them about coverage in many other parts of Europe.”

..as if this is not enough, NHL GameCenter is not available for us this season either, as far as I can see... :angry:

I feel sick.. Just had to let this out.. :(

Edited by Norwegian Red Wing

@Norwegian Red Wing...

It's still uncertain what was really happened between ESPN America and NHL.

If the rights was so expensive,how the hell Premier tv from the UK and Sport TV from Portugal which are nor big nor rich tv stations got the rights

@Norwegian Red Wing...

It's still uncertain what was really happened between ESPN America and NHL.

If the rights was so expensive,how the hell Premier tv from the UK and Sport TV from Portugal which are nor big nor rich tv stations got the rights

Not sure.. Think scandinavian Viasat was in the bidding though.. So it might be them ending up with the games. Not sure - but for me it has allways been ESPN America when it comes to NHL. I just think its sad..

@LidstromIsASuperhero: No Versus Americe - that would have been nice though ;)

@Kenny and rrasco: Thanx guys. Will check this out.. but bah, I want it on the big-screen TV goddammit.. :angry::sly:

@Norwegian Red Wing...

If you have an LCD or LED TV you can connect a computer to it like you would a Monitor.

If you have a plasma you could do the same but you run the risk of speeding up the depletion of your tv. And it is not recommended by "Experts", which is why rarely do you see PC video inputs on Plasma TVs.

My Desktop PC actually has an HDMI out put as well as VGA and DVI.

If you want any help as to what you would need to set it up, PM me, or I am sure you know lots of people with computer skill that could help (or maybe you already know all this and I am wasting my time).

When I watch the Wings through hockey streams (I really enjoy their service, but some here have an ethical objection to using them) I hook my laptop up to my TV and watch it on my 32" LED. Not huge by any means but better than my 15" monitor.

Usually Hockey Streams has an HD feed and I use that one to watch.

Edited by Opie

GCL is available at least in the UK. Premier TV have bought the tv rights to the NHL here but not online rights, so we're free to use GCL. However in some of the Scandinavian countries, I believe subs to GCL are not being accepted :(

In fact, NHL is available everywhere in Europe via NHL GameCenter except for Scandinavia and Finland. The situation with Nordic contries is quite sad and strange... GSL was available for fans till few days before the beginning of the season when Viasat Scandianvia got exclusive rights for NHL. One day after official announcement of the deal GSL became blocked in all Nordic coutries. Still those guys who had signed up before can now watch GSL without any problems. I'm one of those fans who planned to buy the package on the opening night.... and no Viasat is not an opetion as it televises 4-5 games per week and most of those features Pens, Washington and Boston. Although they promised to make NHL available on their streaming service (viaplay) no steps in this direction have been made so far... What a nice way to market NHL in those regions where people actually like it!

Guest Shoreline

Sorry to hear that NRW, I hope you can find a way to watch the games on your TV. :(

Thanx all! Ive been looking thorugh some sites, and it should be possible to watch NHL GameCenter, eg through AppleTV or Playstation - but you have to make it look like your IP is from outside Scandinavia, it seems... Not quite sure how to do this, but as I love the game, I am not giving up on this.

Thanx all! Ive been looking thorugh some sites, and it should be possible to watch NHL GameCenter, eg through AppleTV or Playstation - but you have to make it look like your IP is from outside Scandinavia, it seems... Not quite sure how to do this, but as I love the game, I am not giving up on this.

one possible solution to make GSL working is to use a reliable proxy outside Nordic countries to route you connection through a side country. This is what I'm doing right now.

And just when I was planing to buy gamecenter :yowza:

ESPN, AMI/Medge Reach Agreement

for NHL Rights In Europe & Africa

NHL continues on ESPN America in much of Europe

More than 100 games live across more than 35 European and African countries

With the NHL season newly underway, ESPN has reached an agreement with Advisers Media International (AMI)/Medge Consulting and the NHL for continued English-language coverage of the NHL on the sports media company’s ESPN America network across more than 35 countries in Europe, as well as sub-Saharan Africa. Coverage will begin on ESPN networks from 8 November.

The agreement will mean that ESPN America – which reaches nearly 19 million homes – will continue its coverage of the NHL, televising as many as six live games per week, as well as coverage throughout the NHL’s Stanley Cup Playoffs and the entire Stanley Cup Finals.

In total, fans throughout Europe will see more than 100 games during the season, with authentic and authoritative coverage and commentary direct from the US and Canada. ESPN networks in sub-Saharan Africa will also continue coverage of the NHL.

The deal covers all countries in which ESPN America is available across continental Europe and Turkey, excluding the United Kingdom, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and the Baltic States region. The agreement also includes local language rights in some markets. In Africa, ESPN networks across sub-Saharan Africa will feature the NHL, including ESPN in South Africa and Nigeria on the leading television platform, DSTV/Multichoice.

For specific schedule information, visit ESPNAmerica.com.

ESPN’s news and information programmes, including the five-days-a-week edition of SportsCenter will continue to feature highlights of NHL action and provide unique analysis from ESPN’s NHL experts Barry Melrose and Matthew Barnaby.

COMMENTS

Jeroen Oerlemans, vice president and head of channels, ESPN – Europe, Middle East and Africa, “We’re very excited about continuing coverage of the NHL on ESPN America for millions of sports fans across Europe. We know that hockey has a passionate and loyal following, and will continue to serve them with great games and coverage.”

Rob Pickles, Managing Director of AMI said, “We’re delighted ESPN will continue its long tradition of NHL coverage and fits directly with our extremely ambitious distribution strategy that will enable more people to see NHL across the whole of Europe, CIS, the Central Asian Republics, Middle East and Africa than ever before.”

NHL TV SCHEDULE

Nov 8th Double-Header

Dallas Stars at Washington Capitals

Nashville Predators at Los Angeles Kings

Further schedule to be announced

Guest Shoreline

Gotta love how they toy around with their customers like this.

I wouldn't have blamed anyone for cancelling their service.