• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

DiPietro out AGAIN

Rate this topic

yah right. I think I'l retire from my million dollar NHL salary and go work as a cashier at a local Best Buy. Gimme a break.

If the Islanders bought out his contract, he would have more than enough money that he, his children, and maybe his grandchildren (if he's smart about investment options) will never have to work a McJob in their lives. Stick some of that money in some diversified portfolios and let that s*** grow. He can pay for a Oxford education for any number of his descendents.

Obviously 27 million is a lot of money.... But y give up 50 million more? To help out a team that won't spend money to make them competative? DP is not forcing other team mates to take less and he isn't forcing NYI into a bind... Its Win Win for him. He either recovers and plays, or he retires after another couple years and banks more. I would stay with the team until they need the cap room. Then do them a favor.

So if he's already made 27 million, he's still got 50 or so million left to go. 50 million? Gee, I think I'll retire.

Like I said, GIMME A BREAK.

It's not like they cannot hire him as a coach. Hell he could live off that money and just invest what he has made already. Again, if he was the bigger person he would retire.

Chris Botta, Islanders Expert, says that the team won't buy him out.

Funny how Botta says he's in "good condition." If you discount all the injuries, sure... he's a new born philly.

I mean, it's swell and all that he's on such good terms with the team and that the Isles aren't going to bury him, buy him out, or force him to retire... but it's a little unreal at how seemingly amicable this situation is for both DP and the Isles.

I bear no ill will towards the guy.

He was on the cusp of being thee elite American born goaltender of this era.

Even if he does run out of injuries: How's that psyche holding up, Rick? Can you deal with being an also ran?

Can you salvage your career? Can you deal with never really earning what you're being paid?

You could retire, rebuild, and come back... you're only 30 years old.

You could agree to a buy out, and ultimately, like Yashin previously, you can still help the team make the cap floor for years to come. If the Isles were to buy you out, it'd be 1.5 million/18 years.

FYI: That buy out number Rick, is just slightly more in one year than a Best Buy employee would make in their lifetime. ;)

Kind of reminds me of the situation we had down here in Orlando with the whole Grant Hill saga. I can feel Isle fan's pain. By like the 6th year of him watching games, not being able to go with the bum ankle, and failed surgery after failed surgery we just wanted him to retire so we could get that piano of a contract off our backs. Then he finally fixes himself and skips town. Talk about a kick in the balls. :ranting:

Anyway, profession athletes in their early-mid thirties are NOT going to retire and leave money on the table. It's not even about the money. It's about WANTING to do what you love. Frustrating for us fans at times, but I understand where these players are coming from.

From New York Times :

DiPietro, 30, wears an old-style helmet and cage, rather than the more popular full mask, which most goalies say provides better protection. DiPietro switched to the cage after sustaining facial fractures in February in a fight with Penguins goaltender Brent Johnson. He missed six weeks, returning at the end of the season with the cage, which has a looser fit and might have felt more comfortable against the fractures as they healed.

Alanis Morissette should update that song.