• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

Doesn't sound surprising to me that the older guys are being cautious and the younger guys think they'll be ok.

I'm still ok with the players having the choice to wear a visor, but wouldn't lose sleep if the league made them mandatory. I think the league doesn't want to make visors mandatory, because seeing the players faces in full view is a good way to market the players.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#22 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

Well, in pretty much all other industries on the planet, the grown ass men have no choice whether to follow saftey precuations if they want to be employed.

Edit...oh yeah, forgot to mention, was Franzen lumped in with that "younger" player group? He's older than 4 of the 5 players mentioned in the "older" player group. Morrow is as well.

Thats just to cover the employers ass cuz people sued for stupid s*** (don't even get me started on that). But if the players chose to not wear one thats their decision, their face, their life.

#23 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

You probably enjoy speeding while drunk regardless of wearing a seatbelt or not, i mean, you are a grown ass man after all. People, whether in sports or in the community, don't always know what's best for them. Sure they are grown ass men, but not every grown ass man understands risks. It's not always a bad thing to have rules and regulations.

A. Half shield isnt gunna save ur life most likely B.speeding and drunk driving put other people in danger, not waering a visor does not C.too many rules and regulations if you ask me.

#24 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

I think he wore one as a rookie. Hey, as long as he's winning Norris Trophies, i can't really complain :thumbup:

I remember hearing something about the Hawks coaching staff wanting nobody wearing a visor in the early '90s, too. I think it should be left up to the players, but that's just me.

Personally, I'd like to do what i did above with the other 29 NHL teams, but it would take a while and a lot of space for posts, not to mention some posters on here probably don't care much about the % of hockey players that wear a visor vs. the % that don't. :( I know the NHL did a study on it last year, but i'd like to do it again, taking into account the rookies. Once a player dresses for one regular season game, they're included in the count.

I believe certain key players like Chris Chelios, Gary Suter, Steve Smith, Steve Larmer, and Jeremy Roenick supported the "no half-shield" policy.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#25 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

I believe certain key players like Chris Chelios, Gary Suter, Steve Smith, Steve Larmer, and Jeremy Roenick supported the "no half-shield" policy.

It would be interesting to hear Roenick's take on it now.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#26 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

Their grown ass men, they can make that decision.

Thats just to cover the employers ass cuz people sued for stupid s*** (don't even get me started on that).

Hey, what's the thing with you and butts?

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#27 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

Andrew Ladd is wearing a visor against the Rangers tonight. He's got a pretty good shiner after taking a puck to the eye last week in Ottawa.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#28 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

I think they should wear them. With sticks and pucks flying around everywhere, even if you're careful, stuff is going to happen. All it takes is one fluke; look at the Leafs-Flyers game that was just on, where a strangely high number of guys got hit in the face with a stick. Does that usually happen at games? No. But if you're Chris Pronger, all it takes is to be on the right team, standing in the right place at the right time. Do you REALLY want to risk losing an eye because you don't want to get used to seeing through a visor? Come on.

I don't know if the NHL should make them mandatory or not, but I definitely think everybody should just grow a brain and wear one anyway.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#29 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

I think they should wear them. With sticks and pucks flying around everywhere, even if you're careful, stuff is going to happen. All it takes is one fluke; look at the Leafs-Flyers game that was just on, where a strangely high number of guys got hit in the face with a stick. Does that usually happen at games? No. But if you're Chris Pronger, all it takes is to be on the right team, standing in the right place at the right time. Do you REALLY want to risk losing an eye because you don't want to get used to seeing through a visor? Come on.

I don't know if the NHL should make them mandatory or not, but I definitely think everybody should just grow a brain and wear one anyway.

that stick still would have hit him as it would have gone up and under it. i stopped getting facial cuts when i stopped wearing one. thats the main reason i hate them so much, they can cut u, and direct sticks that would have just gone right in front of your face, into you face, it the stick is going is an upward direction. Different guys like different things, i guess.

#30 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

that stick still would have hit him as it would have gone up and under it. i stopped getting facial cuts when i stopped wearing one. thats the main reason i hate them so much, they can cut u, and direct sticks that would have just gone right in front of your face, into you face, it the stick is going is an upward direction. Different guys like different things, i guess.

There is absolutely no way of knowing whether a guy would still have gotten hit in the eye even if he was wearing a visor.

#31 GongShow94

GongShow94

Prospect

• 43 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

There is absolutely no way of knowing whether a guy would still have gotten hit in the eye even if he was wearing a visor.

Most the time if you get hit good enough with a stick in your visor it will scratch it. Ive seen sticks slid off visors and hit the person in the mouth but you can replace teeth you cant replace a eye.

#32 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

This would make me put one on!

Posted Image

Edited by Opie, 25 October 2011 - 11:38 AM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#33 GongShow94

GongShow94

Prospect

• 43 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

This would make me put one on!

My stomach hurts everytime I see that pic..

#34 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

My linkabout a couple of the wings take on the visor.

#35 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

Doesn't sound surprising to me that the older guys are being cautious and the younger guys think they'll be ok.

I'm still ok with the players having the choice to wear a visor, but wouldn't lose sleep if the league made them mandatory. I think the league doesn't want to make visors mandatory, because seeing the players faces in full view is a good way to market the players.

I don't buy this at all. You can't see the face of any NFL player and they don't seem to have a hard time marketing their players. The same argument was used against helmets, that women liked to see the men's hair move as they skated and the like. I think, much like helmets, they should grandfather current players in and force new players to wear either a visor or a college-style face mask

#36 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

Nate Thompson of the Lightning is wearing one now, as well. Not sure if it is temporarily or not.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#37 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:25 AM

I don't mean this rhetorically: has anyone ever seen a puck hit a visor? I've watched a good amount of hockey over the years, but I can't ever remember being like, 'good thing he's wearing a visor'.

Are those visors designed to remain intact after being subjected to a 100 mph slapshot?

Edited by sean, 26 October 2011 - 01:26 AM.

what

#38 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 679 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:39 AM

I don't mean this rhetorically: has anyone ever seen a puck hit a visor? I've watched a good amount of hockey over the years, but I can't ever remember being like, 'good thing he's wearing a visor'.

Are those visors designed to remain intact after being subjected to a 100 mph slapshot?

I can't recall ever having witnessed that scenario, and I'd also love to hear about their construction. However, that's only one possible cause of facial damage. Sticks to the face are a far more likely and common occurrence than slapshots, and 99% of them you'd be hard pressed to notice when a visor stops the stick from inflicting potentially permanent damage.

EDIT: I'm likely in the minority here, but I'm not in favor of mandating visors for pros. They are, indeed, grown ass men, and can make their own decisions. That said, I'm strongly in favor of them wearing them and think anyone who doesn't is likely overestimating the size of their own testicles. You only get two eyes. It's ok to be frugal with them.

Edited by Uncle Danny, 26 October 2011 - 01:41 AM.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#39 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Excellent comment, I've thought the same thing before. Even if the visor withstood a 100 mph shot, I'm sure the helmet could move forward/down and the visor's bottom edge could still cut right through the player's upper lip if the chin strap was a little loose. And who knows, if there was a hairline crack in the visor a player didn't know about, the thing could break.

Either a full or half cage on a helmet would be safer than a visor.

I don't buy this at all. You can't see the face of any NFL player and they don't seem to have a hard time marketing their players. The same argument was used against helmets, that women liked to see the men's hair move as they skated and the like. I think, much like helmets, they should grandfather current players in and force new players to wear either a visor or a college-style face mask

Actually other than Crosby, the NHL doesn't know how to market their players, with or without a visor.

I'm not against a full cage. Why just protect the players eyes, when you can protect their entire face?
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#40 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Excellent comment, I've thought the same thing before. Even if the visor withstood a 100 mph shot, I'm sure the helmet could move forward/down and the visor's bottom edge could still cut right through the player's upper lip if the chin strap was a little loose. And who knows, if there was a hairline crack in the visor a player didn't know about, the thing could break.

Either a full or half cage on a helmet would be safer than a visor.

Actually other than Crosby, the NHL doesn't know how to market their players, with or without a visor.

I'm not against a full cage. Why just protect the players eyes, when you can protect their entire face?

the NCAA is probably doing away with cages in the near future. going towards mandated half shield.