• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

UP Wings Fan

Thoughts on Ericsson?

Rate this topic

Ericcson plays his best when hes on edge like last night. If he could bring that consistently he would be making his money.

When he plays like that he makes Commodore not needed, I wonder if he knows this and will be playing on the edge more to hold down his spot

Great fight by E.

Like the nastiness from him before it too.

I like his physical play before the fight, because thats what he needs to do to earn any part of his ridiculously inflated contract. He needs to be locked in a room, fed only protein bars, raw red meat, and made to watch video of Jiri Fischer's short career 24/7. The kid, as it stands right now, is a waste of talent, size, and 3+ million dollars. He needs to focus on his defensive awareness and physical play first and worry about putting up points in about two years. He's not good at anything right now on a consistent basis. One night he puts up a couple assists, the next 12 nights he looks lost. One night he has a fight and a goal, the next 3 months he makes pylons look like little orange Rod Langways. I can't believe I'm saying this, but he could learn from Lilja's career with the Wings. Lilja was the epitome of useless for the majority of his Wings career, but learned how to play defense and block shots by the time he left. Just focus on using that size and strength, the element the Wings need!

Is that fight tracker correct? Ericsson is 6'5 but only weighs 205 lbs? I thought he put on some weight in the offseason.

He should weigh at least 220 with that frame. He better not weigh only 205.

I thought the same thing. I'm guessing they're using the stats from his rookie year or something. Based on the Red Wings website, he's listed as 6'4" 220 lbs.

don't care about the weight, he doesn't use his size and weight to his advantage.

I do know for a fact he was a -3 last night :)

The whole team got lit up last night. Let's not use that as an excuse to single out a third pairing defenseman who has been otherwise fine this year.

He's also been more physical this year, although I do agree that he could use his size much more effectively.

Edit: He's definitely not worth the contract right now either, but we're 6 games into it. I'll hold off on judgment for a while.

Edited by Zetts

The whole team got lit up last night. Let's not use that as an excuse to single out a third pairing defenseman who has been otherwise fine this year.

He's also been more physical this year, although I do agree that he could use his size much more effectively.

Edit: He's definitely not worth the contract right now either, but we're 6 games into it. I'll hold off on judgment for a while.

That they did Zetts. Not blaming E for the loss but keep in mind people are judging him on 6 games this season, playing more physical and better so it goes both ways and after all this an Ericsson thread :)

In all honesty do we really need another season to know what Ericsson will do? he's 27 going on 28 so he has little upward potential. An increase in pay isnt going to make him jump from a 5-6 to a top 4. I also think we overpaid but he's fine as a solid 5-6 slot as far as I'm concerned. He just doesn't read quick enough to make it in the top 4 in my opinion.

Babcock, on defenseman Jonathan Ericsson's fight with Columbus' Derek Dorsett on Friday: “Obviously, (Ericsson) has a skill set in that area. Every time I see him do it, I think if I was him I’d like doing it. He’s very good at it.”

Babs might be overestimating Jonny's fighting ability here but in that way I think he's trying to encourage him to do it more often.

Babs might be overestimating Jonny's fighting ability here but in that way I think he's trying to encourage him to do it more often.

I don't think he's a particularly great fighter (though he's better than Lilja for sure), but he uses his size well and I though handled Dorsett well.

We're always talking about guys who can play the game and will drop the gloves when needed. Ericsson can be one of those guys. He may not be the best fighter but he's friggin huge, and most of the guys who deserve to have their ass kicked--the Steve Ott's, Sean Avery, Matt Cooke's of the league--aren't that big.

This team is better if when someone pulls crap against one of our players, they know they're going to have to answer to someone big like Ericsson or Bertuzzi.

I don't think he's a particularly great fighter (though he's better than Lilja for sure), but he uses his size well and I though handled Dorsett well.

We're always talking about guys who can play the game and will drop the gloves when needed. Ericsson can be one of those guys. He may not be the best fighter but he's friggin huge, and most of the guys who deserve to have their ass kicked--the Steve Ott's, Sean Avery, Matt Cooke's of the league--aren't that big.

This team is better if when someone pulls crap against one of our players, they know they're going to have to answer to someone big like Ericsson or Bertuzzi.

??? Yah, people are real scared of Bertuzzi. His shove-fests are frightening.

Bertuzzi is a sissy.

Ericsson hasn't fought anybody yet, but he doesn't shy away from it. I want to see him take on an enforcer.

I dont think hes overestimating it really. He laid a beatdown on a kid thats usually in the top 10 for fighting majors right there, the fight wasnt really even close. If Ericcson did it more, he would get much better cause thats a part of the game you can only get better by actually fighting. Aint no practice drill helping you there.

And I agree it seems like Babs is encouraging him to do it more often, he had similar words for Adelkader last season as well.

I think hes a pretty good fighter already, he has the potential to be a pretty damn good one. Growing up in Sweden he didnt do much of it and hes already good enough to take on alot of light heavy weights. If he gets playing like aloose cannon a bit more he could really be a force.

Bertuzzi is a sissy.

Ericsson hasn't fought anybody yet, but he doesn't shy away from it. I want to see him take on an enforcer.

Bertuzzi is far from a sissy, hes 36 and fought 4 times last season including playoffs and preseason.

Not a lot of guys wanna mess with him, hes earned his reputation (through his cheapshot and really tough player prior to that). Ever notice when he goes into a scrum and shoves a guy, people arent too quick to shove him back and the situationusually dies right off?

And Ericcson has went Clowe (who is a heavyweight) and did pretty well, Clarkson (light heavyweight) but it was a bad fight and has man handled all kinds of punks like Perry, Dorsett and Ott.

Why does he need to fight an enforcer? Those punks are the guys that need to be kept in check and Ericcson has dummied any agitator hes taken on.

Sure it would be cool to see him take on an enforcer, but not just to prove something. He shoudl do it when theres good reason, and most of the times its those pests that are giving reason, not goons

Conklin let in about 4 or 5 goals last night that he should have stopped. Ericsson didn't have as bad of a game as his -3 leads you to believe. Emmerton's turnover, etc. Bad plays that the defense really didn't do anything on.

Ericsson looked BAD on Perreault's second goal, although the game was basically over by then, and the other five Wings on the ice all looked bad too. Franzen looked like an idiot when he got tied up after the draw, Lidstrom chipped the puck right to Perreault in the slot, Flip and Huds completely ignored Washington's players and started to look up-ice. Ericsson himself looked like he was turning and moving to cover someone who wasn't there. Conklin giving up a one-on-one like that means he might be the only player who didn't "screw up" on that play, and he still gave up the goal.

Bertuzzi is a sissy.

Bertuzzi a sissy? That's just stupid.

He doesn't fight much but he's no sissy. Last year Shane O'Brian and a lot of the Preds were running guys in a game against the Wings, Bert fought him twice and what do you know, things settled down and they stopped running people. He may not be an enforcer, but it still gives guys pause to have to drop em with a 6'3' 235 lb guy who can handle himself in a fight.

And why would you want Ericsson to fight an enforcer? So we can lose one of our 6 Dmen for 5 minutes while they lose a guy who can barely play hockey?

With the agitators it can be helpful if he were to drop the gloves to keep them in line, but it's always tougher losing a defenseman for 5 minutes than a forward.

Bertuzzi is a sissy.

There's no reason Ericsson should be fighting a enforcer. Just because he's big doesn't mean he's a enforcer plus he's Swedish it's not in his blood to be a enforcer.

Guest Heaten

don't care about the weight, he doesn't use his size and weight to his advantage.

I do know for a fact he was a -3 last night :)

Did you seriously bump this thread to point out Ericsson's +/- stat from the 7-1 loss to the Capitals? :blink:

Bertuzzi is a sissy.

Hey, you don't want to see Bertuzzi angry.

Just ask DraperFan......I mean Steve Moore.

Well tongihts game wasnt good by any means, but Ericcson and Kindl have been pretty physical so far this year.

Ericcson may not be agreat hitter but hes huge and can man handle guys in the corners, hes been doing it consistently so far. Went after Dorsett at the end of the game again as well, Babcocks words musta stuck in his head a bit

Pylon played good the first two games this season then it was back to lazy skating, leaving open lanes every place he "tries" to cover and has obviously decided that hes bout in for the next few years and will ride it out.

Union shops have these types. We have a crew of hard workers and that one guy that shows up, does half assed work that everyone else have to fix and cause of the rules cant be fired cause he gets by doing the bare minimum. Only a massive f*** up or a major injury will keep this guy on the job making it harder for everyone else DAY IN AND DAY OUT.

Hollan was desperate this off season, I do hope that our growing cap space can grab up some deadline pickups that really energize the blue line.