• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

UP Wings Fan

Thoughts on Ericsson?

Rate this topic

Guest stinky fish taco

Holland brought in Brett Hull, not Bowman. Holland brought in Marian Hossa. Brian Rafalski, Brad Stuart. Derian Hatcher was considered a top defenseman when Holland signed him; calling that signing a mistake because he was injured is like saying the Wings shouldn't have drafted Jiri Fischer because of his then unknown heart condition.

marian hossa brought in marian hossa.

Edited by stinky fish taco

You're saying the same thing I'm saying. He's brought in players that have HELPED at times. Andersson and Bowman are responsible for players/development that have been the BACKBONE = Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc, etc, etc.

Neither Andersson nor Bowman had any influence in the drafting of Fedorov, Lidstrom, or Konstantinov. Bowman was hired after all three were established players in the league, and Andersson was hired in 1990; while the trio was drafted in 1989.

Andersson's job is to scout talent and to recommend which European players to draft first. Given that Holland as a GM prefers to keep home-grown talent, and the team has a large number of European players, this will of course place a large fingerprint from Andersson as well. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Holmstrom, Kronwall, and Ericsson were all Andersson players.

But none of them are drafted or stay with the team unless Holland makes the call.

Brad Stuart is paid a similar amount (can't be stuffed doing any research...) so if Ericsson can become a similar player, then his contract wouldn't look so bad. We need him to be physical, to become a very solid PK'er, and when needed, to eat up 22-24 minutes a night. Like Stuart, he won't ever be a big point producer in this league, so if he could hit 20-25 points while providing strong, consistent defence, I'd be satisfied.

Holland brought in Brett Hull, not Bowman. Holland brought in Marian Hossa. Brian Rafalski, Brad Stuart. Derian Hatcher was considered a top defenseman when Holland signed him; calling that signing a mistake because he was injured is like saying the Wings shouldn't have drafted Jiri Fischer because of his then unknown heart condition.

And on top of this, think of all the stupid moves he DIDN"T make. In the midst of GMs everywhere throwing stupid money around and handing out unsustainable cotracts, Holland has played it pretty cool.

And on top of this, think of all the stupid moves he DIDN"T make. In the midst of GMs everywhere throwing stupid money around and handing out unsustainable cotracts, Holland has played it pretty cool.

Very true. It is one of his better attributes that he doesn't freak out and overspend when something comes up. He handled the post lockout and hard cap well and has not gotten roped into any really horrible contracts either in length or price. Additionally, he has managed to keep key pieces and generally at reasonable or below market prices and add in key players without breaking the bank.

Brad Stuart is paid a similar amount (can't be stuffed doing any research...) so if Ericsson can become a similar player, then his contract wouldn't look so bad. We need him to be physical, to become a very solid PK'er, and when needed, to eat up 22-24 minutes a night. Like Stuart, he won't ever be a big point producer in this league, so if he could hit 20-25 points while providing strong, consistent defence, I'd be satisfied.

Stuart was a bargain though and if he has a season this year similar to his season last year will be getting a substantial raise.

MLive "Red Wings happy with pairing of defensemen Jonathan Ericsson, Jakub Kindl"

"They’re getting games under their belt and they’re playing well for us," Red Wings coach Babcock said. "They’re two huge guys — one is 6-foot-5 (Ericsson), the other is 6-3 (Kindl), and they’re both over 220."

Kindl simply said they're keeping it simple.

"Be solid defensively, don't get beat one-on-one, move the puck and join the rush,'' Kindl said. "We've played together in the minors before (in Grand Rapids). He's the one who'll tell me what to do basically. He's the one leading the charge. We're both protecting each other.''

Honestly the thought of that pairing scared the crap out of me, but they have looked good so far. Kindl's first pass has improved, and Ericsson is minimizing his brainfarts.

*knocking wood*

Hopefully they keep it up and start playing more and more physical, because it would be a great asset for the Wings two have two young, big defenseman who can eat up minutes and punish guys around the net.

Jim Devellano

Yeah - off the ice/bench, Devellano deserves a lot more credit than Bowman for managing.

Bowman, as great of a coach he is, was never a great GM. He had little patience and would trade anyone who got in his dog house, if given full control. Yzerman and Fedorov, for example, would have been gone before '97 if Bowman had full reigns.

I hate to feed the trolls but when the biggest complaints you have about a gm are an injured hatcher, an "injured" Krupp, an injured Williams, and Cory cross, you gm is one hell of a gm. And to equate the positive impact shanny had here with the negative impact Krupp did is the most idiotic thing I've ever seen on these boards.

Based on the first four games, Im beyond pleased with the Ericsson contract. Hopefully the next 78 don't change my mind.

Stuart was a bargain though and if he has a season this year similar to his season last year will be getting a substantial raise.

If Stuart has a season like he did last year, I would hope to see him replaced. He's on the team at nearly $4m for his defensive skill, and last year he was trying to be Mike Green. At least Ericsson is improving, even if he's overpaid.

Anyone up for adding Ryan Suter and Braydon Coburn in the offseason? Or maybe if Philly is trying to keep Coburn, trade a mid-rounder for Meszaros?

Guest Heaten

Ericsson's contract is constructed in such a way to be overpaid right now. Much like Kronwall's and Datsyuk's contracts were constructed. The real bargain comes with time. As-is right now his contract isn't hurting the team financially and is currently trade-able if need be. The Ericsson situation is a good situation to be in. He was drafted so late and has played many decent games in the NHL (for his draft position) and he's still young enough to improve or be traded for much better asset(s) than a normal 9th rounder will get you.

Bottom line, Detroit doesn't have many assets but Ericsson is an asset acquired with a 9th round pick. What more can you ask for?

If Stuart has a season like he did last year, I would hope to see him replaced. He's on the team at nearly $4m for his defensive skill, and last year he was trying to be Mike Green. At least Ericsson is improving, even if he's overpaid.

I don't think Stuart was trying to be Mike Green, but for whatever reason he never seemed to be a good pairing with Lidstrom.

And Holland has even said that Stuart basically earns his keep in the postseason when he takes up another notch.

Anyone up for adding Ryan Suter and Braydon Coburn in the offseason? Or maybe if Philly is trying to keep Coburn, trade a mid-rounder for Meszaros?

Compared around the league what Stuart did last year for $3.75M was a bargain in my opinion. I would love to add Suter but he isn't going to be anywhere near $3.75M.

Compared around the league what Stuart did last year for $3.75M was a bargain in my opinion. I would love to add Suter but he isn't going to be anywhere near $3.75M.

I would have rather had Pitkanen, Carle, Coburn, Meszaros, Jackman, and probably others.

Stuart had what might have been the worst defensive season of his career, and his offense didn't really see much benefit from it. He needs to bounce back in a big way if he wants a raise.

I think you are the only person that doesn't see Stuart's value.

He has been incredibly reliable from the day he put on a Red Wings uniform and he's even better in the playoffs.

This is a good point. Stuart doesn't miss games and you know what you're going to get from him. I still think the Wings should let him go after this year. Time to bring up the youngsters.

Lidstrom/White

Kronwall/Smith

Ericsson/Kindl

The Wings are gonna need room to go after Parise and give Kronwall and Helm raises. They should be able to do this so long as they let the dead weight go.

This is a good point. Stuart doesn't miss games and you know what you're going to get from him. I still think the Wings should let him go after this year. Time to bring up the youngsters.

Lidstrom/White

Kronwall/Smith

Ericsson/Kindl

The Wings are gonna need room to go after Parise and give Kronwall and Helm raises. They should be able to do this so long as they let the dead weight go.

You feel comfortable with that defence? Because I don't, Lidstrom will be another year older, Brendan isn't proven yet and despite their early success E and Kindl haven't shown the ability to be reliable defenceman for full seasons. Then again who even know's if Lidstrom is going to come back.

Then the comment about cap room, well we already have well over 5 mil in cap room, and depending on the CBA negotiations it could rise higher. Kronwall's cap hit is 3mil, I seriously doubt he's gonna jump more then 2-3 million more in salary. Helm's at 900k and change, do you see him getting more then 2 million? Because that's the only way we'd be in cap trouble and that doesn't even take into account Homer and Berts combined 3.7 or so that'll be coming off. We'll be in fine shape to add FA defenceman and keep a competitive team.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

He has been incredibly reliable from the day he put on a Red Wings uniform and he's even better in the playoffs.

That's the thing; Stuart WASN'T reliable last year. He was notoriously unreliable.

Doesn't miss games? Stuart has played fewer than 70 games twice in three full seasons with Detroit. As for letting him go, if Lidstrom retires and Stuart can be kept at a reasonable price, there's no reason not to. If they have the available cap space to do so, and he plays his standard defensive game, he's definitely a better option than Mike Commodore.

That's the thing; Stuart WASN'T reliable last year. He was notoriously unreliable.

Doesn't miss games? Stuart has played fewer than 70 games twice in three full seasons with Detroit. As for letting him go, if Lidstrom retires and Stuart can be kept at a reasonable price, there's no reason not to. If they have the available cap space to do so, and he plays his standard defensive game, he's definitely a better option than Mike Commodore.

Stuart has his ups and downs. His up is currently way above E and his downs are on par with E's downs. The defense in general was horrible last year.

E had a pretty nasty turnover that nearly cost us a goal. Thank god Howard was there to save his bacon.

I see Stuart's value. He's not over-paid, but he's not under-rated. I think his contract is about where his value is. I do think he has regressed slightly, but he's not a bargain by any stretch of the means. Solid, but not a bargain.

Great fight by E.

Like the nastiness from him before it too.

Two things I like about this fight. Ericsson clearly won and when Dorsett said I'm done, Ericsson didn't take advantage of him clap.gif

As long as he punches people in the face, I can forgive his other mistakes.

You actually made me laugh +1. Let's just hope these "mistakes" you are talking about, aren't the ones that have plagued him in the past.

He looked sketchy the first couple games, but he actually looks good out there.

Who would have though Kindl and Ericsson would be one of the better D Pairings in the league this year? blink.gif

Great win by Big E. Skill won this fight. He knew he had reach and size and played defensive when he needed to be and attacked when he could. Especially after knocking the lid off and pounding the back of his head til he had to try something!

Approve!!

esteef