• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Well it could be worse, we could have paid James Wisneiwski 5 million a year to do nothing (a position I was in favor of during the off season and am currently eating crow on).

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#42 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

It's too early to tell. I've been a HUGE Ericsson hater, but from what I've seen in the first four games he's been marginally better.

I'm doubtful I'll think he's earning what we're paying him, but I want to at least give him a chance.

Ken Holland is always right (exception Jason Williams), so I have no doubt that I will be proven wrong.

#43 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

He's not too overpaid IMO, even if he only plays at this level (which is actually decent).

Things will look a little more proportionate when Kronwall gets his new contract, which will probably be 5-6 million. Lidstrom taking a huge pay-cut, with respect to what he could be making, also makes E's contract look bigger.

Also, you can bet that having 10 million or so in cap-space this offseason sure played into his agent's hand.

Finally, keep in mind that E's contract is only about 2.8 million in 2010-2011 dollars.
what

#44 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

It's too early to tell. I've been a HUGE Ericsson hater, but from what I've seen in the first four games he's been marginally better.

I'm doubtful I'll think he's earning what we're paying him, but I want to at least give him a chance.

Ken Holland is always right (exception Jason Williams), so I have no doubt that I will be proven wrong.

Ughhh. I don't think so. Hakan Andersson and Scotty Bowman are responsible for the Wings turnaround. Ken Holland is a pawn in the game.

For every Shanahan and Hull, there has been a Kruup and Hatcher out of Holland.

Holland is an ok GM in my opinion, but I wouldn't consider him anything else but o.k.

Importing the Russians and Swedes when that became vogue was Andersson's work. Getting the team to play defense was Bowman's work. All Holland had to do was bring in/ship out a few pieces when Bowman told him what he needed.

#45 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

Ughhh. I don't think so. Hakan Andersson and Scotty Bowman are responsible for the Wings turnaround. Ken Holland is a pawn in the game.

Holland is an ok GM in my opinion, but I wouldn't consider him anything else but o.k.

Importing the Russians and Swedes when that became vogue was Andersson's work. Getting the team to play defense was Bowman's work. All Holland had to do was bring in/ship out a few pieces when Bowman told him what he needed.

Jim Devellano

#46 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

You hear that? According to Scott Stevens, Holland just did what he was told. He didn't have a say in any of his own decisions.

Posted Image

#47 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:45 PM

I like to think I'm usually pretty reluctant to criticize "controversial" players after just a few games, but Ericsson is my one exception. Having watched him since he's come up from the GRG, I just haven't seen him improve much, if at all, over the course of his NHL career. And I haven't seen anything in the first four games to suggest I'm going to have any different opinion about him this year.

I see the guy make stupid plays in every game, whether they're minor blips or major screw ups. Maybe he's out of position, maybe he gets caught on a bad pinch, maybe he makes a stupid turnover, or maybe he takes a bad angle toward the boards and as a result misses a chance to play the puck; but it's always something. I don't consider it good if I "don't notice Ericsson," because he's the only player on the roster for whom I haven't thought to myself "wow he made a good play there." Usually the best I can give him is "well, he managed not to screw that one up."

My prayer is that he has a stretch where he somehow "turns it on" and ups his trade value while some other team is hurting on D men. I'd really rather not be stuck with him on the Wings.

Well besides Lidstrom, is there a single D-Man that doesnt make at least one error every game??
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#48 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

Holland brought in Brett Hull, not Bowman. Holland brought in Marian Hossa. Brian Rafalski, Brad Stuart. Derian Hatcher was considered a top defenseman when Holland signed him; calling that signing a mistake because he was injured is like saying the Wings shouldn't have drafted Jiri Fischer because of his then unknown heart condition.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#49 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

Holland brought in Brett Hull, not Bowman. Holland brought in Marian Hossa. Brian Rafalski, Brad Stuart. Derian Hatcher was considered a top defenseman when Holland signed him; calling that signing a mistake because he was injured is like saying the Wings shouldn't have drafted Jiri Fischer because of his then unknown heart condition.

You're saying the same thing I'm saying. He's brought in players that have HELPED at times. Andersson and Bowman are responsible for players/development that have been the BACKBONE = Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc, etc, etc.

#50 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

Well besides Lidstrom, is there a single D-Man that doesnt make at least one error every game??

That's part of the problem in evaluating defensemen in Detroit. We get spoiled watching Lidstrom, so it seems like they shouldn't ever make mistakes.

Chris Pronger got absolutely undressed a couple games ago. That doesn't mean he's not a great defenseman. It just happens to the best of them from time to time, unless you're a robot like Lidstrom.

#51 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

marian hossa brought in marian hossa.

Edited by stinky fish taco, 20 October 2011 - 10:20 PM.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#52 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:49 PM

You're saying the same thing I'm saying. He's brought in players that have HELPED at times. Andersson and Bowman are responsible for players/development that have been the BACKBONE = Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc, etc, etc.

Neither Andersson nor Bowman had any influence in the drafting of Fedorov, Lidstrom, or Konstantinov. Bowman was hired after all three were established players in the league, and Andersson was hired in 1990; while the trio was drafted in 1989.

Andersson's job is to scout talent and to recommend which European players to draft first. Given that Holland as a GM prefers to keep home-grown talent, and the team has a large number of European players, this will of course place a large fingerprint from Andersson as well. Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Holmstrom, Kronwall, and Ericsson were all Andersson players.

But none of them are drafted or stay with the team unless Holland makes the call.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#53 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:02 AM

Brad Stuart is paid a similar amount (can't be stuffed doing any research...) so if Ericsson can become a similar player, then his contract wouldn't look so bad. We need him to be physical, to become a very solid PK'er, and when needed, to eat up 22-24 minutes a night. Like Stuart, he won't ever be a big point producer in this league, so if he could hit 20-25 points while providing strong, consistent defence, I'd be satisfied.

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#54 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

And on top of this, think of all the stupid moves he DIDN"T make. In the midst of GMs everywhere throwing stupid money around and handing out unsustainable cotracts, Holland has played it pretty cool.
what

#55 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

And on top of this, think of all the stupid moves he DIDN"T make. In the midst of GMs everywhere throwing stupid money around and handing out unsustainable cotracts, Holland has played it pretty cool.

Very true. It is one of his better attributes that he doesn't freak out and overspend when something comes up. He handled the post lockout and hard cap well and has not gotten roped into any really horrible contracts either in length or price. Additionally, he has managed to keep key pieces and generally at reasonable or below market prices and add in key players without breaking the bank.

Brad Stuart is paid a similar amount (can't be stuffed doing any research...) so if Ericsson can become a similar player, then his contract wouldn't look so bad. We need him to be physical, to become a very solid PK'er, and when needed, to eat up 22-24 minutes a night. Like Stuart, he won't ever be a big point producer in this league, so if he could hit 20-25 points while providing strong, consistent defence, I'd be satisfied.

Stuart was a bargain though and if he has a season this year similar to his season last year will be getting a substantial raise.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#56 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

MLive "Red Wings happy with pairing of defensemen Jonathan Ericsson, Jakub Kindl"

"They’re getting games under their belt and they’re playing well for us," Red Wings coach Babcock said. "They’re two huge guys — one is 6-foot-5 (Ericsson), the other is 6-3 (Kindl), and they’re both over 220."

Kindl simply said they're keeping it simple.

"Be solid defensively, don't get beat one-on-one, move the puck and join the rush,'' Kindl said. "We've played together in the minors before (in Grand Rapids). He's the one who'll tell me what to do basically. He's the one leading the charge. We're both protecting each other.''

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#57 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

MLive "Red Wings happy with pairing of defensemen Jonathan Ericsson, Jakub Kindl"

Honestly the thought of that pairing scared the crap out of me, but they have looked good so far. Kindl's first pass has improved, and Ericsson is minimizing his brainfarts.

*knocking wood*

Hopefully they keep it up and start playing more and more physical, because it would be a great asset for the Wings two have two young, big defenseman who can eat up minutes and punish guys around the net.

#58 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

Jim Devellano

Yeah - off the ice/bench, Devellano deserves a lot more credit than Bowman for managing.

Bowman, as great of a coach he is, was never a great GM. He had little patience and would trade anyone who got in his dog house, if given full control. Yzerman and Fedorov, for example, would have been gone before '97 if Bowman had full reigns.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#59 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

I hate to feed the trolls but when the biggest complaints you have about a gm are an injured hatcher, an "injured" Krupp, an injured Williams, and Cory cross, you gm is one hell of a gm. And to equate the positive impact shanny had here with the negative impact Krupp did is the most idiotic thing I've ever seen on these boards.

Based on the first four games, Im beyond pleased with the Ericsson contract. Hopefully the next 78 don't change my mind.

#60 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

ericsson has been solid, just want him to play meaner
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors