• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nevermind

Helm's new training regimen

Rate this topic

Good read. Sounded like Helm had a blast working out and fishing. Sounds like the life to me. Funny hearing about how he had to watch out for bears and deer while biking. lol. But as to Helm, he looks great so far. Hopefully the points will follow. Even if he doesn't put up the numbers his work ethic on the ice is really impressive. He works hard and it seems like every shift he gives a 100%. I love the guy and glad that he's on our team. :)

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Good article. I hope he has a great year, I decided he's the guy I'm going to follow this year because I think he's got great potential.

I'll arm-wrestle you for him.

I was at the game Saturday, and it seemed like every shift that he was on the ice, he was dominating. Even away from the play, he was doing the right things. If that kid gets hands... Look out world!

Hopefully the only Bear he'll tangle with is Cleary.

I find it interesting that he thought lifting got in his way. If he was doing PAP it would not get in his way...if you lifts using the traditional method you will gain size but PAP allows your muscles to get stronger without gaining size. Being stronger will help any athlete.

Ever since the 08 playoffs when Helm got the call-up I was amazed by his speed and defensive skill. His points have improved every season, and I expect that again this year.

20 goals is possible, might not happen this year but I do think he'll hit 20 sooner or later.

What's awesome about Helm is that he is a 5 on 5 scoring chance creator. The Wings are loaded with guys who can put up points on the power play, but that doesn't cut it in the playoffs. The Wings need more burners. That's why I'm excited about Mursak, too. That guy can skate, too. Everyone that's posting all this "Helm = Draper" and "Helm needs hands" nonsense can stuff it. Sure, Helm isn't Pavel Datsyuk with his stick handling and shooting ability. Nobody else is. But give him 4 or 5 minutes on the power play every night and I guarantee you he'd end up with more points than any other wing besides D and Z.

What's awesome about Helm is that he is a 5 on 5 scoring chance creator. The Wings are loaded with guys who can put up points on the power play, but that doesn't cut it in the playoffs. The Wings need more burners. That's why I'm excited about Mursak, too. That guy can skate, too. Everyone that's posting all this "Helm = Draper" and "Helm needs hands" nonsense can stuff it. Sure, Helm isn't Pavel Datsyuk with his stick handling and shooting ability. Nobody else is. But give him 4 or 5 minutes on the power play every night and I guarantee you he'd end up with more points than any other wing besides D and Z.

What's awesome about Helm is that he is a 4 on 5 scoring chance creator. Fixed it :)

What's awesome about Helm is that he is a 4 on 5 scoring chance creator. Fixed it :)

It'd be interesting to see how well he would play in a 4 on 4 situation for 60 minutes. You can say that for a lot of players but I imagine with Helm's speed that he would be the most noticeable by far.

It'd be interesting to see how well he would play in a 4 on 4 situation for 60 minutes. You can say that for a lot of players but I imagine with Helm's speed that he would be the most noticeable by far.

If I remeber correctly, he had a goal and two assists in ot last year.

I think Helm should be given the odd powerplay shot & see what he can create with a little more open ice.....not sayin he should be on the # one or two PP units....but the odd chance would be nice. I can think of a few times when due to botched line changes Helmer has ended up on the ice with Zett or Dats & the puck has gone in the other teams net. I remember this preseason when Helm anchored the "Grand Rapids Red Wings" against the pretty well full Toronto Maple Leafs & he got a goal & two assists on the PP & was first star. Late last season & early this season our PP has been kinda lack luster & I think a little fresh blood on it might help!

I think Helm should be given the odd powerplay shot & see what he can create with a little more open ice.....not sayin he should be on the # one or two PP units....but the odd chance would be nice. I can think of a few times when due to botched line changes Helmer has ended up on the ice with Zett or Dats & the puck has gone in the other teams net. I remember this preseason when Helm anchored the "Grand Rapids Red Wings" against the pretty well full Toronto Maple Leafs & he got a goal & two assists on the PP & was first star. Late last season & early this season our PP has been kinda lack luster & I think a little fresh blood on it might help!

I'd have him out there 20 minutes a night if I was the coach. He's awesome.

If he got power play time and 1st / 2nd line players, he'd easily pot 30 goals and 30-40 assists every year. Then all this non-sense about Helm having no hands would go away. Helm misses on break-aways and people forget that the odds aren't in the shooters favor on those. They think Helm should be making 90% of his break-aways, and this just isn't possible. Fact is that Helm is the only one even getting break-aways on the Red Wings, and people should just be happy to see THAT!

Barely remember starting this thread. I suppose there is a downside in being "too" commited and hard-working off-the-ice.

EDIT: Then again, wasn't it a flukey workout incident that hurt Helm's back?

Edited by Nevermind