• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

How much of a steal was James Neal for Pitt?

Rate this topic

I hated this trade when it happened last year because I hate the Penguins and i felt this gave them their 4th high end player. Goligowski is a good D-man, i'm not disputing that. He is a top-4 D-man. But he is a late bloomer at 26 in his second full season. Neal is 24 (i know he's not that much younger but younger nonetheless), he is 6'2'', fast, has a sniper's mentality, and will most likely be a 40-goal scorer one day. He is single-handily keeping the Penguins afloat as their top players are hurting. Dallas was going to be looking pretty damn good with Erikson, Jamie Benn, and Neal as the future of their team. IMO, Goligowski won't make the kind of impact in the NHL that Neal will. I feel Dallas really got hosed on this deal and they should feel like idiots for it.

Goal scorers normally hit their prime between 26-28 if I'm not mistaken.

Defensemen hit their prime from at 30 or later.

Not sure anyone got fleeced. Pittsburgh got a scoring winger they needed and Dallas got a fine young defenseman.

I guess i just feel like Goligowski is a little overrated

Not sure anyone got fleeced. Pittsburgh got a scoring winger they needed and Dallas got a fine young defenseman.

Agreed.

I think it was pretty even up between the two of them. Getting Niskanen in the deal the way he is playing right now is the steal of the deal.

This seems pretty Red Wings history based (Yzerman and Lidstrom)!!!

Stamkos, Crosby, and Ovechkin are sniping goals all over the place in their early 20's.

Defensemen are all over the map talent wise. Tyler Myers, Victor Hedmen, etc. should hit their primes sooner than 30.

I think your statement would be pretty accurate 20 years ago. But today, players are developing younger and faster. The early 20's players seem to be dominating the early 30's players. And then there's Nick Lidstrom who just crushes at any age. He will be dominating 20 year olds in his 50's more than likely.

Guest 13GoWings40

Stamkos, Crosby, and Ovechkin are sniping goals all over the place in their early 20's.

Defensemen are all over the map talent wise. Tyler Myers, Victor Hedmen, etc. should hit their primes sooner than 30.

I think your statement would be pretty accurate 20 years ago. But today, players are developing younger and faster. The early 20's players seem to be dominating the early 30's players. And then there's Nick Lidstrom who just crushes at any age. He will be dominating 20 year olds in his 50's more than likely.

How awesome would this be to see, almost another full decade of #5. He's in good health injury-wise and really fit, so if anyone is set to take Chelios' crown as the league dinosaur it would be him.

Edited by 13GoWings40

Neal's a high end player with lots of individual skill but really, really streaky.

Last year, in 30 games from Jan. 26 to the end of the season, he scored two goals and six assists, and followed that up with a total of one goal and one assist in seven playoff games.

He also went 5-7-12 in the first twelve games last year. Do we call him Mr. October?

Neal's a high end player with lots of individual skill but really, really streaky.

Last year, in 30 games from Jan. 26 to the end of the season, he scored two goals and six assists, and followed that up with a total of one goal and one assist in seven playoff games.

He also went 5-7-12 in the first twelve games last year. Do we call him Mr. October?

impressive stat pull :clap:

Lidstrom is an anomaly, as are Stamkos, Crosby, and Ovechkin.

Neal hasn't even hit 30 goals yet. Both players are up and coming and will help their teams in the long run. That was my entire point.

James Neal is he "real deal" I was sad to see him traded and especially to Pittsburgh. The guy can put the puck in the net, has good size and is physical and not afraid to drop mitts. I'm a Wings and watch all of their games on CI bit since I live in the Dallas Area I watch the Stars and JN was fun to watch...so is Jamie Benn

Time will tell about Neal but ...

... player for player comparison aside, last time I checked Dallas is surprising everyone in the standings, they're doing better than Pittsburgh.

Edited by RedWingsRox

It was obvious form the start the trade was better for the penguins, the reason why the stars made it was because of benn who has been good but injured htis season.Neal right now is also a product of his linemates.

Edited by jollymania

Keep in mind, Dallas has had ownership and financial inssues for the past few seasons. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that they traded Neal simply because they knew they couldn't offer him a contract anywhere close to what he got with PIT this season. Might as well have received something for him.

If i'm not mistaken but, hasn't he been on Malkins line all season, especially with Malkins rip? I'm not taking anything away from Neal, but I would also say hes been gifted a few beautiful feeds. If I had the same line mates, I could park myself backdoor and also net quite a few to get my trade value up hehe.gifhehe.gifhehe.gif

Everyone saying it's his line mates needs to get a clue.

How about Dat's linemats why aren't they ripping it up with all their feeds huh? I think people don't like to give credit where credit is due. Yes line mates help but in the end you need to finish. Neal can finish.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

How about Dat's lineups why aren't they ripping it up with all their feeds huh? I think people don't like to give credit where credit is due. Yes line mates help but in the end you need to finish. Neal can finish.

Yeah.. but see people DO rip it up with pasha.. this has been a known fact. If you're a decent winger that can finish with playmaking teammates that are legitimately some of the BEST in the league, yeah you normally can produce a lot more. I don't think anyone sat here and said Neal was a horrible player, none the less able to finish. We're simply stating that when you are on a line with Malkin, and on the powerplay with Malkin AND Crosby... well come on. Now, when Neal starts going coast to coast and solo'ing his play, i'll start giving strictly him credit but his linemates deserve just as much credit for his success.

How about Dat's linemats why aren't they ripping it up with all their feeds huh? I think people don't like to give credit where credit is due. Yes line mates help but in the end you need to finish. Neal can finish.

Everyone knows James Neal is a good scoring forward. But do you think that his production would have increased to this degree if he was still in Dallas?

Scorers score more when they have great playmakers centering them.

Yeah.. but see people DO rip it up with pasha.. this has been a known fact. If you're a decent winger that can finish with playmaking teammates that are legitimately some of the BEST in the league, yeah you normally can produce a lot more. I don't think anyone sat here and said Neal was a horrible player, none the less able to finish. We're simply stating that when you are on a line with Malkin, and on the powerplay with Malkin AND Crosby... well come on. Now, when Neal starts going coast to coast and solo'ing his play, i'll start giving strictly him credit but his linemates deserve just as much credit for his success.

I disagree with you that Dat's linemates have ripped it up? Tell me who to be exact? Not trying to pick a fight just wondering? Dat's is going to make any player on his line better no doubt about it but he can't put the puck in the net for them.

Malkin is a great player almost the same caliber with Dat's yet he's younger. So Dat's is better than Malkin then why is Neal's numbers better? Because Neal is a better goal scorer than anyone that's been paired with Dat's minus maybe Hank but Hank really isn't a pure goal scorer now.

That's why Pittsburgh is deep right now they have a healthy and strong squad. s*** even when they weren't healthy they were winning games. Unlike us. I like to give credit where credit is due and I don't expect a lot of Wings fans to agree.

Everyone knows James Neal is a good scoring forward. But do you think that his production would have increased to this degree if he was still in Dallas?

Scorers score more when they have great playmakers centering them.

No doubt. But Neal was scoring in Dallas and look what he's doing now. And he's young. He just needs to round out his defensive game a bit I think.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)