• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheWestWing

DirecTV threatens to pull FSNs

Rate this topic

Great - here we go again. Bit more severe that just pulling VS.....

'DirecTV Might Drop Fox Cable Channels'

Fox says that DirecTV is threatening to pull the plug on its national and regional cable networks on Nov. 1 unless a new carriage fee agreement can be reached....

..The networks affected include FX, National Geographic Channel, Speed, Fuel TV, Fox Soccer, Fox Soccer Plus, Fox Movie Channel, Fox Deportes and the 19 Fox regional sports networks.'

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/475558-DirecTV_Might_Drop_Fox_Cable_Channels.php

Guest stinky fish taco

how would that work with Center Ice subscribers? they can't possibly find an argument for not refunding your $ if you can't view all the games on the FS networks...

And this is why I dropped DirectTV. Useless company and who wants their TV to drop when it snows or rains hard. NHL Game Center is 100000000 times better than that DirectTV garbage and you don't have to DVR anything as it is always there.

Game center live seems increasingly the way to go. Time Warner carries everything on CI but the quality is as if you were watching hockey in the 80s

I agree. I hate time warner. I was thinking of switching to direct..but if they drop the fox channels then....geez. But i really hate time warner. no fsd...no nhl network...no nfl network...

So no one has any info on what this will do to Center Ice subscribers?

Either way, this just sucks if they pull all their channels. Not only am I mostly concerned about losing Red Wings games (via my paid Center Ice subscription), but I watch their affiliates programs a ton! I love "The League" and "Sons of Anarchy" both on FX, not to mention the movies they put on their networks. This would suck.

And I'm not going back to Time Warner because those losers not only don't have NHL and NFL network, but they don't broadcast Center Ice in HD.

And this is why I dropped DirectTV. Useless company and who wants their TV to drop when it snows or rains hard. NHL Game Center is 100000000 times better than that DirectTV garbage and you don't have to DVR anything as it is always there.

So how do you watch NHL Game Center on your TV, and does that cost extra?

TWC does suck, hardly any HD coverage for CI. I can't comment on NFL Network, but TWC does certainly carry NHL Network...they just moved it to their sports pack. I had it in my subscription one year then the next it said I didn't have it. They claimed I never had it, but just switched it to a paid package so I had to pay an extra $5 for it.

I switched to Directv this offseason and I could not be happier. Definitely the way to go if you want to watch HD hockey, with center ice of course. If the game is broadcast in HD, you will get it in HD. They will work this out, but we may have a few days of no fox channels until they start losing customers and revenue, then they will pay up.

TWC does suck, hardly any HD coverage for CI. I can't comment on NFL Network, but TWC does certainly carry NHL Network...they just moved it to their sports pack. I had it in my subscription one year then the next it said I didn't have it. They claimed I never had it, but just switched it to a paid package so I had to pay an extra $5 for it.

I switched to Directv this offseason and I could not be happier. Definitely the way to go if you want to watch HD hockey, with center ice of course. If the game is broadcast in HD, you will get it in HD. They will work this out, but we may have a few days of no fox channels until they start losing customers and revenue, then they will pay up.

Time Warner in this area does not in fact have nhl network. and i have the sports pack.

Only Grande Communications has it here besides the SAT companies.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

I had it less than 2 months ago....it's channel 122 in HD and 266 in SD. At least in San Antonio it is.

I find it hard to believe they have that much of a difference in their programming from San Antonio to Austin....but I don't see it on the Austin channel lineup while it is most certainly still on the SA lineup.

http://www.timewarne...clu/CLU_231.pdf

http://www.timewarne...clu/CLU_388.pdf

At any rate, you should switch to Direct...they will work this fox thing out and you will thank me later. If you do switch, I can save you $100.

Edited by rrasco

So no one has any info on what this will do to Center Ice subscribers?

Either way, this just sucks if they pull all their channels. Not only am I mostly concerned about losing Red Wings games (via my paid Center Ice subscription), but I watch their affiliates programs a ton! I love "The League" and "Sons of Anarchy" both on FX, not to mention the movies they put on their networks. This would suck.

And I'm not going back to Time Warner because those losers not only don't have NHL and NFL network, but they don't broadcast Center Ice in HD.

OK here's the deal if I remember correctly from when this was an issue with Dish.

The NHL provides the feed for CI. They generally provide just the SD feed and its at the 'discretion' of the individual providers (DTV) to post the HD feed if they have it. Which is why you see most of the games in HD on DTV as they have the FSN HD feed in their lineup (and which is why some games on US feeds are not HD - think someone mentioned Comcast PHI). So if DTV pulls the FSNs, you'll still get the SD feeds from the FSNs on CI but no HD.

Clear as mud?

I just got Directv this summer as well and love it too. Was with Dish last year during this same thing and it took about a month and a half into the season to get it resolved. I hope that Directv is closer to an agreement with them by the deadline or it could drag on hopefully not as long as the VS issue did with them.

So how do you watch NHL Game Center on your TV, and does that cost extra?

If you have a ps3 or another supported device you can stream it through there. I use the ps3 and you have to buy a 10 dollar app (maybe 20?) and you just select your game and watch it. The only bad thing is for some reason the game starts a bit late on there and you don't get to watch the pregame but most of the time I watch the games later anyway and hardly ever am around exactly at the start time. You can watch either feed and they are all in HD. Oh and if you aren't at home... you can watch it on your iPod, Android or w/e and not miss a beat. It really is amazing and far and away better than directgarbage and their over inflated prices and ego.

Edited by korrowan

OK here's the deal if I remember correctly from when this was an issue with Dish.

The NHL provides the feed for CI. They generally provide just the SD feed and its at the 'discretion' of the individual providers (DTV) to post the HD feed if they have it. Which is why you see most of the games in HD on DTV as they have the FSN HD feed in their lineup (and which is why some games on US feeds are not HD - think someone mentioned Comcast PHI). So if DTV pulls the FSNs, you'll still get the SD feeds from the FSNs on CI but no HD.

Clear as mud?

No, it makes sense. Thank you for the info.

Still, what would be a lack of HD blows, not to mention having to wait until the following day to Tvtorrent The League and Sons of Anarchy.

That really sucks.

I watch a lot of those channels, so this would be a big blow for me.

The problem is that there are many different providers, but there's pros and cons to each. DirecTV is the best thing out there from my experience, but then s*** like this comes along.

As people said, the exact same thing last year with Dish Network.

What do people do, get angry and switch to someone else. Then they see the same thing with their new provider a year or 2 later.

No matter who have, Directv, Dish Network, Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T, Verizon, Cablevision, Charter, Bright House, Wide Open West, etc., etc., etc....there will always be contract negotiations that never get done before the cut-off date. Which pretty much only affects customers. No company goes out of business or has layoffs, customer base just swings away from that company temporarily until the next round of negotiations comes around for a different company.

It's never really the providers faults, the networks/broadcasters demand a crap ton more money from the providers, which is always, ALWAYS gets passed on to the customer. It how it was with Fox and Dish Network last year, as well as NBC/Comcast (Versus) with Directv the last time too. Those channels eventually come back to the provider, just the customers have to wait around for one of the companies to give in....no matter who gives in, the customer ends up paying more for their subscription (not right away, but eventually).

There is always 2 sides, and customers get stuck in the middle, having to decide who they favor. Really whoever persuades you first, customers are kind of like sheep....we'll follow one shepherd or the other.

What can you do? Follow who you want, switch, wait, complain to get some free stuff (it works). Unless there is some kind of government intervention for rules on how these media negotiations are handled, we'll see the same thing again next year with another provider & broadcaster.

Directv's Site - OurPromiseToYou

Fox's (News Corp) Site - KeepMyNets

If you have a ps3 or another supported device you can stream it through there. I use the ps3 and you have to buy a 10 dollar app (maybe 20?) and you just select your game and watch it. The only bad thing is for some reason the game starts a bit late on there and you don't get to watch the pregame but most of the time I watch the games later anyway and hardly ever am around exactly at the start time. You can watch either feed and they are all in HD. Oh and if you aren't at home... you can watch it on your iPod, Android or w/e and not miss a beat. It really is amazing and far and away better than directgarbage and their over inflated prices and ego.

You have to pay for a subscription too, so it's not just $20. Wanted to clarify that.

Center Ice doesn't include pre/post game either.

Directv has all the games in HD for both feeds, assuming the provider has an HD stream to begin with.

I pay $30 for directv now, it will go up to $70 once all my promotional discounts end, but it's the best decision I have ever made. They are no more expensive than any other provider.

You have to pay for a subscription too, so it's not just $20. Wanted to clarify that.

Directv has all the games in HD for both feeds, assuming the provider has an HD stream to begin with.

I pay $30 for directv now, it will go up to $70 once all my promotional discounts end, but it's the best decision I have ever made. They are no more expensive than any other provider.

Right 20 for the app but it is a buy once type thing not every year and 170 or whatever for the season. You do get pregame and post game but only if you either watch it later on the PS3 or watch it on the computer. Lots of time I will watch the pregame on the computer and then watch the game live if I am actually home. Its nice being able to see pre and post game since I did not get that stuff with Center Ice last year. You also get get tons of games from the last 10 years. For instance I watched all the old red wing stanley cup games which was pretty cool.

Might not be more expensive providers but its sucks when you get a snow storm that drops 2 feet on your roof and covers up your dish...you don't get to watch jack then. Or when a nasty storm rolls through that does not drop your electricity or you have alternate means (my house is self sustainable so I don't have to worry about that) and you cannot watch anything because your signal is all messed up. I used to be a huge fan of Direct TV until I moved somewhere where the weather is not all peaches and cream. FiOS blows them out of the water in pretty much every way especially now that I can buy the NFL package on my PS3.

That was my question - I paid for Center Ice...if they have a problem with Fox's parent company and we don't get it, do I still get the games over Center Ice, or do I get my money back?

As long as I can have the games, I'll be willing to forgo HD as long as it takes to negotiate...I just want to watch the damned games. I lived without HD before, having to do it again won't kill me, as long as I can see them.