• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheWestWing

DirecTV threatens to pull FSNs

Rate this topic

Good...I lived without HD before...I can live without it again, just as long as it means I get to watch the games. I hate the fact that I won't be able to see WingSpan on Saturday mornings, but maybe I can convince my friend with Dish to record them for me.

Lame indeed. While I definitely see the value in DirecTV (i.e. certain stations - the college I went to has a good bit of their games broadcasted on a conference channel - Similar to Big Ten Network and only on DirecTV), more and more when I have read stories like these the past few years, makes me glad I just use local cable/digital network.

I couldn't get satellite TV partially because of too many tall trees and partially because my house is attached with 2 other condos, and Charter Communications is no saint either and I've had problems with them in the past, but no dramatic issues even close to coming like this. They finally added NFL Network this year, a local sports station here, they've always had NHL Center Ice (which I used once before switching to cheaper/online streams), and I don't watch much TV outside of live sports anyways so more often than not it gets the job done for me.

Spot on post.

Last season I made the switch from DISH to DirecTV because of the issues with FOX.

Yes - standard def games were broadcast via Center Ice, but as we all know there's no substitution for HD.

I'll stick with DirecTV; I'm certain a deal will be worked out within a few weeks...All I can say is that Center Ice via DirecTV is much better than Center Ice via DISH.

Yep I also switched last year like two weeks into the season - think Dish settled like 2 days later.

Was a good move (at the time) when I found out that Dish had a lot fewer HD games at the time since a host of their FSN HD feeds were just 'part-time feeds'.

Lame indeed. While I definitely see the value in DirecTV (i.e. certain stations - the college I went to has a good bit of their games broadcasted on a conference channel - Similar to Big Ten Network and only on DirecTV), more and more when I have read stories like these the past few years, makes me glad I just use local cable/digital network.

I couldn't get satellite TV partially because of too many tall trees and partially because my house is attached with 2 other condos, and Charter Communications is no saint either and I've had problems with them in the past, but no dramatic issues even close to coming like this. They finally added NFL Network this year, a local sports station here, they've always had NHL Center Ice (which I used once before switching to cheaper/online streams), and I don't watch much TV outside of live sports anyways so more often than not it gets the job done for me.

This could also happen with cable, I believe it did last year here with Bright House(Time Warner) it's just a matter of having to pull the plug to make a point to Fox I guess.

While I didn't have HD when I was with Dish I am so much happier with the programming and quality of Directv. It sucks if we lose FSD but I'm hoping it won't be too long.

Spot on post.

Last season I made the switch from DISH to DirecTV because of the issues with FOX.

Yes - standard def games were broadcast via Center Ice, but as we all know there's no substitution for HD.

I'll stick with DirecTV; I'm certain a deal will be worked out within a few weeks...All I can say is that Center Ice via DirecTV is much better than Center Ice via DISH.

True, but wouldn't the FSD feeds still be subject to black-out restrictions in the Detroit area? Here's the other question... if there are 2 feeds for a game (i.e. St Paul feed and FSN feed for the Detroit - Minneapolis game) would the St Paul feed be blacked out in the Detroit viewing area or just the FSD feed? I had heard somewhere that only the VS and national networks (NBC) were subject to black-out restrictions on CI, but I certainly don't wany to give Direct TV any more money when I stil won't be able to see the games.... high-def or otherwise.

For me I had switched fairly early when the issues began; then about 2 , or 3 weeks later everything was resolved.

Anywho DirecTV is still a better choice IMHO...Now when we do start losing Center Ice games in HD - I'm wondering what "catch phrase" is needed to weasel my $172 back (as in free Center Ice for this season) when I call to complain :P

To be honest I have no clue on the blackout restrictions; living in Wisconsin I haven't had any issues with FSN Detroit.

Watching games in standard def makes ya realise how great HD really is.

:siren:

Its BS that the HD feeds have already been "pulled" before the November 1st deadline.

:siren:

Its BS that the HD feeds have already been "pulled" before the November 1st deadline.

Have they? FSD worked on Tuesday for me. I didn't watch any hockey last night though.

I will definitely be complaining until I get something for free.

Have they? FSD worked on Tuesday for me. I didn't watch any hockey last night though.

I will definitely be complaining until I get something for free.

I haven't gotten the past three games in HD. It says I'm not subscribed.

Are you saying you have DirecTV and are located in Texas, yet were able to get the FSD High-Def feed?

I haven't gotten the past three games in HD. It says I'm not subscribed.

Are you saying you have DirecTV and are located in Texas, yet were able to get the FSD High-Def feed?

That is correct. I am in Texas and watched the HD feed on FSD, channel 663. Did you subscribe to Center Ice yet? It was a free preview until October 23, but in order to watch Tuesday's game you had to of subscribed.

EDIT: I just checked right now, all four games I see on are available in HD.

Edited by rrasco

Guest 13GoWings40

I don't know if anyone has said this before, but I have DirecTV and called them about this. As soon as I started talking to the guy he told me FSD and all the other Fox channels are very popular and they are going nowhere. Worst case we may lose it for a week or two. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if it does I'll just call back and complain and get free Center Ice for a year :D

If we lose the channels it will only be until the contract is agreed to. It's not going to be permanent it's just a matter of Directv pulling the plug on Fox until things are resolved. When it happened with Dish we were out for about a month but that was in October and that would have been fine given our schedule this month. Next month it looks like 3 games a week so I hope they get this taken care of quickly.

That is correct. I am in Texas and watched the HD feed on FSD, channel 663. Did you subscribe to Center Ice yet? It was a free preview until October 23, but in order to watch Tuesday's game you had to of subscribed.

i also still have all my HD games. i can watch on either the fsd channel or the CI channel with no issues.

I've been auto-subscribed for Center Ice the past 7 seasons and have always gotten most all the HD feeds, but the last couple Wings games it states I'm "not subscribed" when I went to the channel. Now I'm extremely confused because when I flipped on the TBL-NSH game last night, and I did in fact get the HD feed.

The only thing I can think of is that the HD feed started momentarily after the standard feed and that was the moment I turned it on. Not likely, but that could be the reason why it stated such.

Oh well, we'll see tonight.

I've been auto-subscribed for Center Ice the past 7 seasons and have always gotten most all the HD feeds, but the last couple Wings games it states I'm "not subscribed" when I went to the channel. Now I'm extremely confused because when I flipped on the TBL-NSH game last night, and I did in fact get the HD feed.

The only thing I can think of is that the HD feed started momentarily after the standard feed and that was the moment I turned it on. Not likely, but that could be the reason why it stated such.

Oh well, we'll see tonight.

You need to reauthorize your receivers - you can do it online. They had some issues on some subs when they shutdown the free preview. Had the same issue and this took care of it.

Just to put it in stone: On my Directv, FSD just blacked out and NHLN-US is the only available feed I get. However, luckily it's the FSD feed NHL Network picked up tonight.

Not if you're located in Detroit territory...then it's reverse.

YAY!!! I had called them last night and they told me that Center Ice wouldn't be affected by what was going on, but they were still in negotiations. I'm relieved indeed...not only do I like FSD (for obvious reasons), but there is a new show on National Geographic Wild about one of our local vets, called "The Incredible Dr. Pol". I know him, I know where he practices (right down the road from my house, in fact), and I know some of his clients. Makes for really cool tv.