• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

As people said, the exact same thing last year with Dish Network.

What do people do, get angry and switch to someone else. Then they see the same thing with their new provider a year or 2 later.
No matter who have, Directv, Dish Network, Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T, Verizon, Cablevision, Charter, Bright House, Wide Open West, etc., etc., etc....there will always be contract negotiations that never get done before the cut-off date. Which pretty much only affects customers. No company goes out of business or has layoffs, customer base just swings away from that company temporarily until the next round of negotiations comes around for a different company.

It's never really the providers faults, the networks/broadcasters demand a crap ton more money from the providers, which is always, ALWAYS gets passed on to the customer. It how it was with Fox and Dish Network last year, as well as NBC/Comcast (Versus) with Directv the last time too. Those channels eventually come back to the provider, just the customers have to wait around for one of the companies to give in....no matter who gives in, the customer ends up paying more for their subscription (not right away, but eventually).

There is always 2 sides, and customers get stuck in the middle, having to decide who they favor. Really whoever persuades you first, customers are kind of like sheep....we'll follow one shepherd or the other.

What can you do? Follow who you want, switch, wait, complain to get some free stuff (it works). Unless there is some kind of government intervention for rules on how these media negotiations are handled, we'll see the same thing again next year with another provider & broadcaster.

Directv's Site - OurPromiseToYou
Fox's (News Corp) Site - KeepMyNets

Got FSD setup with all it's glory.  Plan to have pre and post game coverage along with Wingspan and 24/7.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#22 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:19 PM

If you have a ps3 or another supported device you can stream it through there. I use the ps3 and you have to buy a 10 dollar app (maybe 20?) and you just select your game and watch it. The only bad thing is for some reason the game starts a bit late on there and you don't get to watch the pregame but most of the time I watch the games later anyway and hardly ever am around exactly at the start time. You can watch either feed and they are all in HD. Oh and if you aren't at home... you can watch it on your iPod, Android or w/e and not miss a beat. It really is amazing and far and away better than directgarbage and their over inflated prices and ego.

You have to pay for a subscription too, so it's not just $20. Wanted to clarify that.

Center Ice doesn't include pre/post game either.

Directv has all the games in HD for both feeds, assuming the provider has an HD stream to begin with.

I pay $30 for directv now, it will go up to $70 once all my promotional discounts end, but it's the best decision I have ever made. They are no more expensive than any other provider.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#23 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

You have to pay for a subscription too, so it's not just $20. Wanted to clarify that.

Directv has all the games in HD for both feeds, assuming the provider has an HD stream to begin with.

I pay $30 for directv now, it will go up to $70 once all my promotional discounts end, but it's the best decision I have ever made. They are no more expensive than any other provider.

Right 20 for the app but it is a buy once type thing not every year and 170 or whatever for the season. You do get pregame and post game but only if you either watch it later on the PS3 or watch it on the computer. Lots of time I will watch the pregame on the computer and then watch the game live if I am actually home. Its nice being able to see pre and post game since I did not get that stuff with Center Ice last year. You also get get tons of games from the last 10 years. For instance I watched all the old red wing stanley cup games which was pretty cool.

Might not be more expensive providers but its sucks when you get a snow storm that drops 2 feet on your roof and covers up your dish...you don't get to watch jack then. Or when a nasty storm rolls through that does not drop your electricity or you have alternate means (my house is self sustainable so I don't have to worry about that) and you cannot watch anything because your signal is all messed up. I used to be a huge fan of Direct TV until I moved somewhere where the weather is not all peaches and cream. FiOS blows them out of the water in pretty much every way especially now that I can buy the NFL package on my PS3.

#24 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:38 AM

That was my question - I paid for Center Ice...if they have a problem with Fox's parent company and we don't get it, do I still get the games over Center Ice, or do I get my money back?

As long as I can have the games, I'll be willing to forgo HD as long as it takes to negotiate...I just want to watch the damned games. I lived without HD before, having to do it again won't kill me, as long as I can see them.
Posted Image

#25 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:49 AM

Threw DirecTV out on their ass 2 years ago. Haven't looked back. Get better service and pricing from Cox anyway.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#26 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

OK here's the deal if I remember correctly from when this was an issue with Dish.

The NHL provides the feed for CI. They generally provide just the SD feed and its at the 'discretion' of the individual providers (DTV) to post the HD feed if they have it. Which is why you see most of the games in HD on DTV as they have the FSN HD feed in their lineup (and which is why some games on US feeds are not HD - think someone mentioned Comcast PHI). So if DTV pulls the FSNs, you'll still get the SD feeds from the FSNs on CI but no HD.

Clear as mud?

Spot on post.

Last season I made the switch from DISH to DirecTV because of the issues with FOX.

Yes - standard def games were broadcast via Center Ice, but as we all know there's no substitution for HD.

I'll stick with DirecTV; I'm certain a deal will be worked out within a few weeks...All I can say is that Center Ice via DirecTV is much better than Center Ice via DISH.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#27 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:11 AM

Good...I lived without HD before...I can live without it again, just as long as it means I get to watch the games. I hate the fact that I won't be able to see WingSpan on Saturday mornings, but maybe I can convince my friend with Dish to record them for me.
Posted Image

#28 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

Lame indeed. While I definitely see the value in DirecTV (i.e. certain stations - the college I went to has a good bit of their games broadcasted on a conference channel - Similar to Big Ten Network and only on DirecTV), more and more when I have read stories like these the past few years, makes me glad I just use local cable/digital network.

I couldn't get satellite TV partially because of too many tall trees and partially because my house is attached with 2 other condos, and Charter Communications is no saint either and I've had problems with them in the past, but no dramatic issues even close to coming like this. They finally added NFL Network this year, a local sports station here, they've always had NHL Center Ice (which I used once before switching to cheaper/online streams), and I don't watch much TV outside of live sports anyways so more often than not it gets the job done for me.

#29 TheWestWing

TheWestWing

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

Spot on post.

Last season I made the switch from DISH to DirecTV because of the issues with FOX.

Yes - standard def games were broadcast via Center Ice, but as we all know there's no substitution for HD.

I'll stick with DirecTV; I'm certain a deal will be worked out within a few weeks...All I can say is that Center Ice via DirecTV is much better than Center Ice via DISH.

Yep I also switched last year like two weeks into the season - think Dish settled like 2 days later.

Was a good move (at the time) when I found out that Dish had a lot fewer HD games at the time since a host of their FSN HD feeds were just 'part-time feeds'.

#30 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

Lame indeed. While I definitely see the value in DirecTV (i.e. certain stations - the college I went to has a good bit of their games broadcasted on a conference channel - Similar to Big Ten Network and only on DirecTV), more and more when I have read stories like these the past few years, makes me glad I just use local cable/digital network.

I couldn't get satellite TV partially because of too many tall trees and partially because my house is attached with 2 other condos, and Charter Communications is no saint either and I've had problems with them in the past, but no dramatic issues even close to coming like this. They finally added NFL Network this year, a local sports station here, they've always had NHL Center Ice (which I used once before switching to cheaper/online streams), and I don't watch much TV outside of live sports anyways so more often than not it gets the job done for me.

This could also happen with cable, I believe it did last year here with Bright House(Time Warner) it's just a matter of having to pull the plug to make a point to Fox I guess.

While I didn't have HD when I was with Dish I am so much happier with the programming and quality of Directv. It sucks if we lose FSD but I'm hoping it won't be too long.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#31 SouthernHockeyHoney

SouthernHockeyHoney

Rookie

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

Spot on post.

True, but wouldn't the FSD feeds still be subject to black-out restrictions in the Detroit area? Here's the other question... if there are 2 feeds for a game (i.e. St Paul feed and FSN feed for the Detroit - Minneapolis game) would the St Paul feed be blacked out in the Detroit viewing area or just the FSD feed? I had heard somewhere that only the VS and national networks (NBC) were subject to black-out restrictions on CI, but I certainly don't wany to give Direct TV any more money when I stil won't be able to see the games.... high-def or otherwise.
The only thing better than a cold glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill.

#32 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

I think it's just the national channels that cause blackouts. IIRC, when the Wings play the Stars (I'm in TX) I can choose from either FSD or FSSW.

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#33 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

Yep I also switched last year like two weeks into the season - think Dish settled like 2 days later.

Was a good move (at the time) when I found out that Dish had a lot fewer HD games at the time since a host of their FSN HD feeds were just 'part-time feeds'.

For me I had switched fairly early when the issues began; then about 2 , or 3 weeks later everything was resolved.

Anywho DirecTV is still a better choice IMHO...Now when we do start losing Center Ice games in HD - I'm wondering what "catch phrase" is needed to weasel my $172 back (as in free Center Ice for this season) when I call to complain :P

True, but wouldn't the FSD feeds still be subject to black-out restrictions in the Detroit area? Here's the other question... if there are 2 feeds for a game (i.e. St Paul feed and FSN feed for the Detroit - Minneapolis game) would the St Paul feed be blacked out in the Detroit viewing area or just the FSD feed? I had heard somewhere that only the VS and national networks (NBC) were subject to black-out restrictions on CI, but I certainly don't wany to give Direct TV any more money when I stil won't be able to see the games.... high-def or otherwise.

To be honest I have no clue on the blackout restrictions; living in Wisconsin I haven't had any issues with FSN Detroit.

Watching games in standard def makes ya realise how great HD really is.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#34 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

For me I had switched fairly early when the issues began; then about 2 , or 3 weeks later everything was resolved.

Anywho DirecTV is still a better choice IMHO...Now when we do start losing Center Ice games in HD - I'm wondering what "catch phrase" is needed to weasel my $172 back (as in free Center Ice for this season) when I call to complain :P

To be honest I have no clue on the blackout restrictions; living in Wisconsin I haven't had any issues with FSN Detroit.

Watching games in standard def makes ya realise how great HD really is.

:siren:

Its BS that the HD feeds have already been "pulled" before the November 1st deadline.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#35 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

:siren:

Its BS that the HD feeds have already been "pulled" before the November 1st deadline.

Have they? FSD worked on Tuesday for me. I didn't watch any hockey last night though.

I will definitely be complaining until I get something for free.

#36 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

Have they? FSD worked on Tuesday for me. I didn't watch any hockey last night though.

I will definitely be complaining until I get something for free.

I haven't gotten the past three games in HD. It says I'm not subscribed.

Are you saying you have DirecTV and are located in Texas, yet were able to get the FSD High-Def feed?
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#37 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

I haven't gotten the past three games in HD. It says I'm not subscribed.

Are you saying you have DirecTV and are located in Texas, yet were able to get the FSD High-Def feed?

That is correct. I am in Texas and watched the HD feed on FSD, channel 663. Did you subscribe to Center Ice yet? It was a free preview until October 23, but in order to watch Tuesday's game you had to of subscribed.

EDIT: I just checked right now, all four games I see on are available in HD.

Edited by rrasco, 27 October 2011 - 06:31 PM.

#38 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

I don't know if anyone has said this before, but I have DirecTV and called them about this. As soon as I started talking to the guy he told me FSD and all the other Fox channels are very popular and they are going nowhere. Worst case we may lose it for a week or two. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if it does I'll just call back and complain and get free Center Ice for a year :D

#39 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

If we lose the channels it will only be until the contract is agreed to. It's not going to be permanent it's just a matter of Directv pulling the plug on Fox until things are resolved. When it happened with Dish we were out for about a month but that was in October and that would have been fine given our schedule this month. Next month it looks like 3 games a week so I hope they get this taken care of quickly.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#40 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

That is correct. I am in Texas and watched the HD feed on FSD, channel 663. Did you subscribe to Center Ice yet? It was a free preview until October 23, but in order to watch Tuesday's game you had to of subscribed.

EDIT: I just checked right now, all four games I see on are available in HD.

i also still have all my HD games. i can watch on either the fsd channel or the CI channel with no issues.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.