• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

10/22 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Capitals 7

Rate this topic

You're going to have those games in every season. As long as they don't happen too often (like they did toward the end of last season), we'll be fine. If we lost like that against Columbus or Phoenix, then I might be worried. But Washington? They're 7-0 for a reason.

Actually it worries me that the Wings didn't get more fired up for this game. I can actually accept a loss like this better against a "bad" team like Columbus when the players might not be 100% focused. Against Washington everyone should be on their toes.

I gotta say though that they didn't look terrible in the 1st and it just seemed like with every goal that Conklin let past him their energy dipped more and more. They got some of it back with the 3-1 goal but then Conklin took it away again with the 4th goal.

It sucks to blame just one guy but really this loss was 90% Conklin. The other 10% is Babcock because I can't figure out why he didn't play Conklin yesterday and Howard today. Makes zero sense and didn't turn out well.

Lest we forget the 12000-1 beatdowns the Wings have suffered at the hands of the BJs and Preds over the last few seasons. :P

Exactly! Didn't Columbus pummel us something like 9-1 a couple seasons ago?

Remember the St. Louis game last season where we all started rooting for the Blues to hit double-digit goals? That was awesome fun.

Ha, yes! That game was awesome. As a fandom, we just need to learn how to enjoy losses like that more. :D

:siren: :siren: :siren:RED HOT WINGS !!!! RED HOT WINGS !!! RED HOT WINGS !!!!! :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Why waste a neg on a 1 poster when you can save them for stinkyfishtaco...Didn't see the game tonight and the score just freaking floored me! Wont lie I was a little relieved when I saw Howard didn't play, but feel horrible for Conks. Can't win them all, here's to an 81 for 82 season . :thumbup:

I really do hate it when Babcock won't play Howard on back to back nights. Especially since he just had 6 days off! It's not like he's 39 years old, he's a kid, he can handle it. I know why they didn't play Conklin last night, it's out of respect for the opponent. As much as they won't admit it, it's just an unwritten rule that you don't put your scrub goalie in net against a s***ty team "just because".

In back to back games, teams put their best goalie out on the night with the best chance to win, and that is the first night, regardless of the opponent. That way you play the best team possible to give you the best chance of getting at least one win. If you try to backup against a weaker team the first night, you run a higher chance of going 0-2.

Guest Crymson

Conks was obviously not good tonight, and he would be the first to admit it- - he probably will. This was one of those frustrating games to watch, we get some every year. The good thing out of this is that it will motivate the boys to tighten up and come out full force against the BJ's. But seriously, Cleary NEEDS to be taken off that line... Dats and Z by themselves would be better than with Cleary there. I think the lines for next game should be:

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Homer

Hudler- Filpulla- Franzen

Bert- Helm- Abdelkator

Cleary- Emmerton- Miller

- - another note, why is babcock not using White on the 5 on 3's with Lidstrom? That gives them more options. Other than that, the Wings are 5-1, so losing like this will do good on the long run.

Put our second-highest goal-scorer from last season, a perennial 20-goal scorer, on the fourth line. BRILLIANT idea. I hope you can sense the sarcasm. Personally, I think you're just targeting Cleary so that you can have someone to blame. He's playing good hockey. Your statement that Zetterberg and Datsyuk would be better on their own than with him on the line is perfectly absurd and is the mark of someone reacting in a ridiculous fashion to his team losing.

Edited by Crymson

In back to back games, teams put their best goalie out on the night with the best chance to win, and that is the first night, regardless of the opponent. That way you play the best team possible to give you the best chance of getting at least one win. If you try to backup against a weaker team the first night, you run a higher chance of going 0-2.

His not saying to play Conklin on the first night, his just saying that considering there's a six days rest period Howard at this point of his career should be able to handle a back to back game. Not only did we have a six day break we have 2 days off prior to the next game which is more then enough time for Howard to rest. IMO, it was a bad call from Babs unless he wants to lose on purpose so we can fly under the radar.

I missed the game due to work, didn't read this thread, but is the sky falling and people over-reacting to one game?

No. We had a poster predict a 20-page thread with nothing but whining and bitching, but as you can see, we aren't even to 10 pages, and there's not much whining or bitching to be seen.

So, after this game, the question is what need to happen to have our special teams play not suck? If my memory serves me correct, the past few years have not been kind to us with either the man advantage or being a man down.

No. We had a poster predict a 20-page thread with nothing but whining and bitching, but as you can see, we aren't even to 10 pages, and there's not much whining or bitching to be seen.

*Raises Hand*

I predicted it, and I am a couple pages short of my prediction though. Yet, there is a lot of overreaction and blame going around for the loss, as normal. It was one bad game. Just chock it up to that and move along.

Just watched the game on my DVR. We got drubbed. Oh well.

We need more LGW forum members to have this kind of attitude. Especially during the course of an 82 game regular season, and more so being as that this was the Wings first loss after the best start in 30 years.

Pretty awful game.

That's the thing with losses. When the team loses there is more to discuss regarding what needs to improve. In a win there is normally a couple pages of circle-jerking whoever played well and that's that. Shouldn't be shocking that there are a bunch of pages for a first loss, especially one where the Wings get brutalized.

Yeah I had to turn it off early. I mean, Detroit played pretty well for the first 30 minutes or so, then the Caps just scored whenever they wanted. The Caps look like they're for real.