• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#341 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

I really do hate it when Babcock won't play Howard on back to back nights. Especially since he just had 6 days off! It's not like he's 39 years old, he's a kid, he can handle it. I know why they didn't play Conklin last night, it's out of respect for the opponent. As much as they won't admit it, it's just an unwritten rule that you don't put your scrub goalie in net against a s***ty team "just because".

In back to back games, teams put their best goalie out on the night with the best chance to win, and that is the first night, regardless of the opponent. That way you play the best team possible to give you the best chance of getting at least one win. If you try to backup against a weaker team the first night, you run a higher chance of going 0-2.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#342 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:31 AM

Conks was obviously not good tonight, and he would be the first to admit it- - he probably will. This was one of those frustrating games to watch, we get some every year. The good thing out of this is that it will motivate the boys to tighten up and come out full force against the BJ's. But seriously, Cleary NEEDS to be taken off that line... Dats and Z by themselves would be better than with Cleary there. I think the lines for next game should be:

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Homer
Hudler- Filpulla- Franzen
Bert- Helm- Abdelkator
Cleary- Emmerton- Miller

- - another note, why is babcock not using White on the 5 on 3's with Lidstrom? That gives them more options. Other than that, the Wings are 5-1, so losing like this will do good on the long run.

Put our second-highest goal-scorer from last season, a perennial 20-goal scorer, on the fourth line. BRILLIANT idea. I hope you can sense the sarcasm. Personally, I think you're just targeting Cleary so that you can have someone to blame. He's playing good hockey. Your statement that Zetterberg and Datsyuk would be better on their own than with him on the line is perfectly absurd and is the mark of someone reacting in a ridiculous fashion to his team losing.

Edited by Crymson, 23 October 2011 - 04:33 AM.

#343 Kerjuxaxaxa

Kerjuxaxaxa

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

Let Washington enjoy their wins in regular season cuz they don't get much joy in April. On a positive side, Hudler was not embarrassment in that game along with Lids, D and Z.

#344 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

In back to back games, teams put their best goalie out on the night with the best chance to win, and that is the first night, regardless of the opponent. That way you play the best team possible to give you the best chance of getting at least one win. If you try to backup against a weaker team the first night, you run a higher chance of going 0-2.

His not saying to play Conklin on the first night, his just saying that considering there's a six days rest period Howard at this point of his career should be able to handle a back to back game. Not only did we have a six day break we have 2 days off prior to the next game which is more then enough time for Howard to rest. IMO, it was a bad call from Babs unless he wants to lose on purpose so we can fly under the radar.

#345 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

I missed the game due to work, didn't read this thread, but is the sky falling and people over-reacting to one game?

No. We had a poster predict a 20-page thread with nothing but whining and bitching, but as you can see, we aren't even to 10 pages, and there's not much whining or bitching to be seen.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#346 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:26 AM

Just watched the game on my DVR. We got drubbed. Oh well.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#347 WingTipMikey

WingTipMikey

Draftee

• 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

So, after this game, the question is what need to happen to have our special teams play not suck? If my memory serves me correct, the past few years have not been kind to us with either the man advantage or being a man down.

#348 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

No. We had a poster predict a 20-page thread with nothing but whining and bitching, but as you can see, we aren't even to 10 pages, and there's not much whining or bitching to be seen.

*Raises Hand*

I predicted it, and I am a couple pages short of my prediction though. Yet, there is a lot of overreaction and blame going around for the loss, as normal. It was one bad game. Just chock it up to that and move along.

We need more LGW forum members to have this kind of attitude. Especially during the course of an 82 game regular season, and more so being as that this was the Wings first loss after the best start in 30 years.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#349 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

Pretty awful game.

That's the thing with losses. When the team loses there is more to discuss regarding what needs to improve. In a win there is normally a couple pages of circle-jerking whoever played well and that's that. Shouldn't be shocking that there are a bunch of pages for a first loss, especially one where the Wings get brutalized.

Posted Image

#350 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

Yeah I had to turn it off early. I mean, Detroit played pretty well for the first 30 minutes or so, then the Caps just scored whenever they wanted. The Caps look like they're for real.

#351 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,049 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:36 PM

Pretty awful game.

That's the thing with losses. When the team loses there is more to discuss regarding what needs to improve. In a win there is normally a couple pages of circle-jerking whoever played well and that's that. Shouldn't be shocking that there are a bunch of pages for a first loss, especially one where the Wings get brutalized.

Pretty much. Don't know why people are surprised at this obvious fact.

Circle jerking doesn't lead to much actual hockey discussion.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#352 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

Pretty much. Don't know why people are surprised at this obvious fact.

Circle jerking doesn't lead to much actual hockey discussion.

Based on the bitching and complaining that I have seen after a loss, it doesn't lead to much actual hockey discussion either. I really chock it up to an emotional response. If you want actual hockey discussion and less of an emotional response, its not easy to find.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#353 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

Pretty awful game.

I agree, but there aren't a bunch of pages here, really. Nine isn't really a lot here, win or lose.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#354 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

Yeah I did the same thing. Watched the game this morning and I haven't seen us that bad since we got our asses beat by Nashville in 08. We just weren't there and it sucks we got killed but I mean we are 5-1! We couldn't have asked for a better start (6-0 obviously) but we are 5-1 and have a PP that can't do anything so there is room for improvement.

We got drubbed but it's early in the season. We can't win them all.

Let's go Wings!
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#355 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

I agree, but there aren't a bunch of pages here, really. Nine isn't really a lot here, win or lose.

9? I see 18. Time to check my settings.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#356 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

9? I see 18. Time to check my settings.

Some people show more posts per page
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#357 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

ill take 1 lose every 6 games any day and so would Babs. maybe were gunna tank so we can draft Nail Yakupov next year!!
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#358 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

Well, um, that wasn't fun to watch. We had an unlucky first period, and then two just plain bad ones. Was gonna say I wish Miller had played instead of Emmerton, but I'm pretty sure we would have lost anyway, so whatever. I hope Conklin's night was just a fluke. I'll forgive him this time, but pleeeaaase don't do that again.

I'm glad we're playing the Sharks the game after next, so we can get a better feel for how we're doing. So far we've been playing a bunch of teams like the Sens and BJs, which doesn't tell you much unless you lose.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#359 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

Just finished watching the game. That was not a good one, I was thinking once we made it 3-1 that would get us going but it didn't. We have to get our first loss eventually, at least it wasn't to one of the teams we should have beat.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#360 Mason

Mason

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

The fact our first loss was a prison-sexing could actually be a good thing if you're thinking positively... Now it's time for the players and coaching staff to step back and assess the issues.