• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
P. Marlowe

Trade between Florida and Vancouver

Rate this topic

Panthers got hosed in this deal. Booth could def score 30 this year for the Canucks.

Sammy could score 30 for Florida, also.

As usual, he is being underestimated.

How much you want to bet Skille shifts to the third line, and Samuelsson plays on the second line with Kopecky?

Sammy will benefit from playing in a weaker conference, and he can have a bigger role which should help him produce a bit more. I wouldn't mind taking him back someday. He had a knack for timely goals that in the end outweighed his constant shooting into goalie's chest protectors.

Kind of a weird trade. I would have expected Florida to be going after younger players, not giving them up. Obviously, they had no confidence in Booth (I can see why) and they wanted to dump his contract. In return they get a couple vets who are an upgrade right now and could fetch them some picks at the deadline.

Bingo. It seems almost too obscure of a trade to have ever gotten off the ground until you look at it that way.

Sammy had gotten off to a slow start this season (along with the rest of the team) and they fans have actually been jeering Luongo. I think Gillis did it to shake things up in the room a bit and also to just to make some new news to get the media talkiing about something else other than Luongo. Sammy seems to have spent a lot of his time in Vancouver injured, too.

Knowing Talon and Gillis are talking enough to actually make a trade duriing the season (who does that anymore?), I wouldn't be suprised to see Luongo back in Fla if things continue to get toxic for him here (Vancouver). His family is still there (from what I understand) and Vancouver is stocked at Goal (Corey Schneider is ready to be a #1 somewhere, and apparently they have the best goalie in the minors also), and mostly because Talon is one of the few GM's not afraid of taking on a humongous contract like Luongo's. This market is eating him up and he can't take the heat, soon it will be time to get out of the kitchen.

Edited by T.Low

Man the depth of 07-08 and 08-09 teams was unbeliavable. Third line of Hudler, Filppula and Samuelsson. It helped having Z, Mule, Fil and Hudler still on small contracts.

Hmm... if the Wings could pull off a deal of Miller, Emmerton/Mursak, Ericsson, and maybe a 3rd/4th for Weiss and Samuelsson...

Current lineup (assuming Brunnstrom is waived when Mursak returns):

Z/Dats/Cleary

Huds/Mule/Flip

Abs/Helm/Bert

Homer/Emmerton/Eaves

Mursak/Miller

Lidstrom/White

Kronwall/Stuart

Kindl/Ericsson

Commodore

Post-trade lineup?

Z/Dats/Cleary

Mule/Weiss/Bert

Huds/Flip/Sammy

Abs/Helm/Eaves

Homer/Mursak

Lidstrom/White

Kronwall/Stuart

Kindl/Commodore

Smith (or Janik)

Edited by eva unit zero

Bingo. It seems almost too obscure of a trade to have ever gotten off the ground until you look at it that way.

Sammy had gotten off to a slow start this season (along with the rest of the team) and they fans have actually been jeering Luongo. I think Gillis did it to shake things up in the room a bit and also to just to make some new news to get the media talkiing about something else other than Luongo. Sammy seems to have spent a lot of his time in Vancouver injured, too.

Knowing Talon and Gillis are talking enough to actually make a trade duriing the season (who does that anymore?), I wouldn't be suprised to see Luongo back in Fla if things continue to get toxic for him here (Vancouver). His family is still there (from what I understand) and Vancouver is stocked at Goal (Corey Schneider is ready to be a #1 somewhere, and apparently they have the best goalie in the minors also), and mostly because Talon is one of the few GM's not afraid of taking on a humongous contract like Luongo's. This market is eating him up and he can't take the heat, soon it will be time to get out of the kitchen.

Luongo should go back to Florida where he can face tons of shots and play lights out in the regular season, knowing he'll never have to worry about the playoffs.

He's not a bad goaltender, but that contract makes him one for the value.

During the regular season it was a luxury. Not so sure about the playoffs though.

Over those two seasons, Z, Dats, and Franzen scored 72 ES points in the playoffs. Huds, Flip, and Sammy posted 54. Holmstrom, Cleary, and Hossa were the next three in total points over that two year span, and their total-point numbers add up to 52; H-F-S total points adds to 76.

Those three weren't a luxury. They were a necessity.

Luongo should go back to Florida where he can face tons of shots and play lights out in the regular season, knowing he'll never have to worry about the playoffs.

He's not a bad goaltender, but that contract makes him one for the value.

Luongo can't win the big game, but if he somehow got back to Florida after the upgrades they just made, I'd say there a playoff team. Honestly as of now there a borderline team, add in a guy who was up for the Vezina and who knows. But I doubt Gillis trades him, a little too gutsy for him even though if I was him i'd trade Lou just because of the toxic relationship with the fans.

Sounds like they're just trying to get rid of Reinprecht's salary. I don't think he's played a game for them so far this year. Weird seeing Sturm get traded so early in the season, after they went out and signed him in the offseason.

Not all teams understand loyalty. It's a luxury Wing's fans have grown accustomed to.

side note:

I like our line-up and I'll like it even more when Mursak is inserted into it. I guess all I'd look to trade for is a top 4 DMan and move Stuart to the 3rd pairing, but even then, Kindl and Ericsson have looked above average this season as a pairing and I don't think you break those two up. Maybe add a grittier 4th liner with some snarl. And again, Miller and Emmerton have both looked decent for their roles and Eaves is bound to come around.

I love going into the season knowing that I will get to watch one of San Jose or Van flop AGAIN. This has got to be getting embarrassing for them.

I wouldn't say Vancouver flopped. They got to game 7 in the SCF. it was unfortunate they had a choker in 7uongo in net. A team that flopped would be our Wings between their last SC and the one previous to that.

Not all teams understand loyalty. It's a luxury Wing's fans have grown accustomed to.

side note:

I like our line-up and I'll like it even more when Mursak is inserted into it. I guess all I'd look to trade for is a top 4 DMan and move Stuart to the 3rd pairing, but even then, Kindl and Ericsson have looked above average this season as a pairing and I don't think you break those two up. Maybe add a grittier 4th liner with some snarl. And again, Miller and Emmerton have both looked decent for their roles and Eaves is bound to come around.

Emmerton has been one of the better bottom-six centers in the league so far. His only issue has been faceoffs, and he usually looks much better; he was one of the best in that respect in the AHL, and although NHL centers are obviously better, his lack of success seems more due to a bad start on the draw than simply not being able to handle it. He's pretty much either cemented himself a role in the Wings' bottom six if he keeps it up, or he'll be traded in a significant deal for a team looking for a young, skilled PKer who could possibly become a decent second liner if he hits his projected offensive potential. If you include all 15 forwards currently on the roster, plus prospects, the Wings currently have at least 14 forwards (EDIT: who are 27 or younger) who could potentially be top-nine or better within three years. Many of them already are at that level. But less than half fit a bottom-six role; meaning a trade would definitely be necessary. Especially considering although nine are on the roster right now, one will have to be waived around the halfway mark. Plus Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and likely also Franzen and Cleary will still be around when the some or all of those guys are ready to break the roster.

I wouldn't say Vancouver flopped. They got to game 7 in the SCF. it was unfortunate they had a choker in 7uongo in net. A team that flopped would be our Wings between their last SC and the one previous to that.

You mean 7uon8o.

Although honestly, Thomas was just as responsible as 7uon8go was. Vancouver did really well for the first few games offensively, but Thomas just plain started shutting them down. Game three was a big time turning point. Especially after Rome's dirty hit, and Captain Goalie's inability to win the crushing blow. Vancouver was up 2-0 and he gives up 8? Not acceptable. The Canucks rode a largely "counterattack" offense. If the puck simply goes in when Boston gets a rush, that takes away a lot of counterattack chances. Thomas and the Bruins were helped a great deal by 7uongo's s***ty Game 3 performance. That swung the momentum all the way around, and in Game 4 it was another stinker, although it was only 4 goals. Vancouver couldn't recover, despite the fact they were tied in the series and 7uon8go picked up a shutout later in the series.

Edited by eva unit zero

side note:

I know a lot of people are willing to move Ericsson and/or Kindl but honestly, I think they're progressing. It may not be as fast as some would like but they're moving in the right direction. Initially I wasn't a huge fan of pairing them together but it's working out well so far and if they remain a responsible pairing throughout the year they could one day anchor the Wings' Top 4.

Also, I agree that Miller and Emmerton have looked really good so far this season. Emmerton had a tough game against the Caps - especially with the terrible giveaway on the second goal.

Completely agree. The Canucks may have 'flopped' in the finals to some degree but making the finals is still better than 28 other teams that season.

Emmerton has been one of the better bottom-six centers in the league so far. His only issue has been faceoffs, and he usually looks much better; he was one of the best in that respect in the AHL, and although NHL centers are obviously better, his lack of success seems more due to a bad start on the draw than simply not being able to handle it. He's pretty much either cemented himself a role in the Wings' bottom six if he keeps it up, or he'll be traded in a significant deal for a team looking for a young, skilled PKer who could possibly become a decent second liner if he hits his projected offensive potential. If you include all 15 forwards currently on the roster, plus prospects, the Wings currently have at least 14 forwards who could potentially be top-nine or better within three years. Many of them already are at that level. But less than half fit a bottom-six role; meaning a trade would definitely be necessary. Especially considering although nine are on the roster right now, one will have to be waived around the halfway mark. Plus Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and likely also Franzen and Cleary will still be around when the some or all of those guys are ready to break the roster.

You mean 7uon8o.

Although honestly, Thomas was just as responsible as 7uon8go was. Vancouver did really well for the first few games offensively, but Thomas just plain started shutting them down. Game three was a big time turning point. Especially after Rome's dirty hit, and Captain Goalie's inability to win the crushing blow. Vancouver was up 2-0 and he gives up 8? Not acceptable. The Canucks rode a largely "counterattack" offense. If the puck simply goes in when Boston gets a rush, that takes away a lot of counterattack chances. Thomas and the Bruins were helped a great deal by 7uongo's s***ty Game 3 performance. That swung the momentum all the way around, and in Game 4 it was another stinker, although it was only 4 goals. Vancouver couldn't recover, despite the fact they were tied in the series and 7uon8go picked up a shutout later in the series.

+1 because I think you are saying you agree with me for once lol.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

well apparently the trade hit booth hard...

David Booth obviously didn’t see this coming. The popular Panthers winger joked about his Michigan State football team in the morning and showed up to the BankAtlantic Center early to do his workout.

Then he was traded.

Booth apparently broke down in tears when informed that he was traded to Vancouver in exchange for veteran wingers Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm. Booth left a message for his teammates on the dry erase board in the locker room.

and stephen weiss a very good friend and now former teammate didnt even get to say goodbye :(

Anytime this happens as you’re going out for a game, yeah, it’s shocking,” center Stephen Weiss said. “I would have liked to have been able to see him and wish him luck, say goodbye. That’s the toughest part, not being able to do that.”

from http://www.miamiherald.com