• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

Kind of a weird trade. I would have expected Florida to be going after younger players, not giving them up. Obviously, they had no confidence in Booth (I can see why) and they wanted to dump his contract. In return they get a couple vets who are an upgrade right now and could fetch them some picks at the deadline.

#22 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

I was trying to figure out why they had Sammy listed for Fla last night. Makes sense now.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#23 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

Kind of a weird trade. I would have expected Florida to be going after younger players, not giving them up. Obviously, they had no confidence in Booth (I can see why) and they wanted to dump his contract. In return they get a couple vets who are an upgrade right now and could fetch them some picks at the deadline.

And both have contracts that end this season.

Like you said this was pretty much a salary dump.

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:59 AM

Sammy must be crushed. I'm sure he loved playing in Vancouver, a top team in the NHL and with the Sedins and Edler, etc.

What's the possibility of him making a giant fuss, not reporting to the team and the Panthers waiving him?

Didn't Sammy play for Florida once?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#25 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

Probably. IIRC, he was somewhat of a journeyman in both the SEL and NHL.

#26 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

Aye. He played there with Lilja. That's why they were such good buddies here.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#27 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

Panthers got hosed in this deal. Booth could def score 30 this year for the Canucks.

Sammy could score 30 for Florida, also.

As usual, he is being underestimated.

How much you want to bet Skille shifts to the third line, and Samuelsson plays on the second line with Kopecky?
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#28 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

Sammy will benefit from playing in a weaker conference, and he can have a bigger role which should help him produce a bit more. I wouldn't mind taking him back someday. He had a knack for timely goals that in the end outweighed his constant shooting into goalie's chest protectors.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#29 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

Man the depth of 07-08 and 08-09 teams was unbeliavable. Third line of Hudler, Filppula and Samuelsson. It helped having Z, Mule, Fil and Hudler still on small contracts.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#30 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

Man the depth of 07-08 and 08-09 teams was unbeliavable. Third line of Hudler, Filppula and Samuelsson.

During the regular season it was a luxury. Not so sure about the playoffs though.

#31 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

Bingo. It seems almost too obscure of a trade to have ever gotten off the ground until you look at it that way.

Sammy had gotten off to a slow start this season (along with the rest of the team) and they fans have actually been jeering Luongo. I think Gillis did it to shake things up in the room a bit and also to just to make some new news to get the media talkiing about something else other than Luongo. Sammy seems to have spent a lot of his time in Vancouver injured, too.

Knowing Talon and Gillis are talking enough to actually make a trade duriing the season (who does that anymore?), I wouldn't be suprised to see Luongo back in Fla if things continue to get toxic for him here (Vancouver). His family is still there (from what I understand) and Vancouver is stocked at Goal (Corey Schneider is ready to be a #1 somewhere, and apparently they have the best goalie in the minors also), and mostly because Talon is one of the few GM's not afraid of taking on a humongous contract like Luongo's. This market is eating him up and he can't take the heat, soon it will be time to get out of the kitchen.

Edited by T.Low, 23 October 2011 - 07:48 PM.

#32 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

Man the depth of 07-08 and 08-09 teams was unbeliavable. Third line of Hudler, Filppula and Samuelsson. It helped having Z, Mule, Fil and Hudler still on small contracts.

Hmm... if the Wings could pull off a deal of Miller, Emmerton/Mursak, Ericsson, and maybe a 3rd/4th for Weiss and Samuelsson...

Current lineup (assuming Brunnstrom is waived when Mursak returns):
Z/Dats/Cleary
Huds/Mule/Flip
Abs/Helm/Bert
Homer/Emmerton/Eaves
Mursak/Miller

Lidstrom/White
Kronwall/Stuart
Kindl/Ericsson
Commodore

Post-trade lineup?

Z/Dats/Cleary
Mule/Weiss/Bert
Huds/Flip/Sammy
Abs/Helm/Eaves
Homer/Mursak

Lidstrom/White
Kronwall/Stuart
Kindl/Commodore
Smith (or Janik)

Edited by eva unit zero, 23 October 2011 - 08:26 PM.

#33 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

Bingo. It seems almost too obscure of a trade to have ever gotten off the ground until you look at it that way.

Sammy had gotten off to a slow start this season (along with the rest of the team) and they fans have actually been jeering Luongo. I think Gillis did it to shake things up in the room a bit and also to just to make some new news to get the media talkiing about something else other than Luongo. Sammy seems to have spent a lot of his time in Vancouver injured, too.

Knowing Talon and Gillis are talking enough to actually make a trade duriing the season (who does that anymore?), I wouldn't be suprised to see Luongo back in Fla if things continue to get toxic for him here (Vancouver). His family is still there (from what I understand) and Vancouver is stocked at Goal (Corey Schneider is ready to be a #1 somewhere, and apparently they have the best goalie in the minors also), and mostly because Talon is one of the few GM's not afraid of taking on a humongous contract like Luongo's. This market is eating him up and he can't take the heat, soon it will be time to get out of the kitchen.

Luongo should go back to Florida where he can face tons of shots and play lights out in the regular season, knowing he'll never have to worry about the playoffs.

He's not a bad goaltender, but that contract makes him one for the value.

#34 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

During the regular season it was a luxury. Not so sure about the playoffs though.

Over those two seasons, Z, Dats, and Franzen scored 72 ES points in the playoffs. Huds, Flip, and Sammy posted 54. Holmstrom, Cleary, and Hossa were the next three in total points over that two year span, and their total-point numbers add up to 52; H-F-S total points adds to 76.

Those three weren't a luxury. They were a necessity.

#35 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

So Vancouver traded away half their playoff performers in Samuelsson?

I don't even.

Posted Image

#36 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

Lolz.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#37 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

Luongo should go back to Florida where he can face tons of shots and play lights out in the regular season, knowing he'll never have to worry about the playoffs.

He's not a bad goaltender, but that contract makes him one for the value.

Luongo can't win the big game, but if he somehow got back to Florida after the upgrades they just made, I'd say there a playoff team. Honestly as of now there a borderline team, add in a guy who was up for the Vezina and who knows. But I doubt Gillis trades him, a little too gutsy for him even though if I was him i'd trade Lou just because of the toxic relationship with the fans.

#NOMOREKINDL

#38 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

Sounds like they're just trying to get rid of Reinprecht's salary. I don't think he's played a game for them so far this year. Weird seeing Sturm get traded so early in the season, after they went out and signed him in the offseason.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#39 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:43 AM

I love going into the season knowing that I will get to watch one of San Jose or Van flop AGAIN. This has got to be getting embarrassing for them.
what

#40 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:21 AM

Sounds like they're just trying to get rid of Reinprecht's salary. I don't think he's played a game for them so far this year. Weird seeing Sturm get traded so early in the season, after they went out and signed him in the offseason.

Not all teams understand loyalty. It's a luxury Wing's fans have grown accustomed to.

side note:
I like our line-up and I'll like it even more when Mursak is inserted into it. I guess all I'd look to trade for is a top 4 DMan and move Stuart to the 3rd pairing, but even then, Kindl and Ericsson have looked above average this season as a pairing and I don't think you break those two up. Maybe add a grittier 4th liner with some snarl. And again, Miller and Emmerton have both looked decent for their roles and Eaves is bound to come around.

I love going into the season knowing that I will get to watch one of San Jose or Van flop AGAIN. This has got to be getting embarrassing for them.

I wouldn't say Vancouver flopped. They got to game 7 in the SCF. it was unfortunate they had a choker in 7uongo in net. A team that flopped would be our Wings between their last SC and the one previous to that.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".