• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Z Winged Dangler

What's up with Zetterberg?

Rate this topic

I'm in Italy right now, so I have only been able to watch some highlights and haven't been able to watch any games at all... So my question is, what's with Z's horrifically slow start? 6 games, 2 pts with a goal and an assist and is +1. This is not Z like production. I'm not bashing him, obviously he's my favourite player, so can someone enlighten me as to what i'm missing. Or is it like last year where 5 of the top 10 saves of the year were goalies robbing Zetterberg? The Wings are 5-1, so the team is obviously playing good, but Z's production will be something to worry about if he doesn't start getting points soon. Flip and Mule will not keep the pace they're on for 82 games. Neither will Z, but what do you guys think?

No, if it was anything injury related, the Wings would have him sit because they would not be risking injuries like the last 2 years where they have been dealing with so many injuries. With that said, Pavs and Hank both seem to be slightly off so far. I thought, even though we lost 7-1, Pavs and Hank had a lot more energy and generated a ton of scoring chances last night. My only problem is Cleary playing with them; He slows them down, gives the puck away all the time by trying to make a dumb play and constantly falls down. IMO Homer should be placed on the top line because he simply wins battles along the boards and then gives the puck to one of Pavs or Hank, and then goes to the net front area. Basically, Homer keeps things simple so Pavs and Hank can work their magic.

Besides that, I think the other reason they look a little off at times is because we have basically had these massive breaks in the schedule so they have not been able to get into a rythem yet. I do not worry one bit; Pavs and Hank will get going now that the schedule is picking up.

He hasn't been the same goal scorer the last couple of seasons.

Like I said in yesterday's game, he still takes a boatload of shots, but too many of them are low percentage shots from bad angles.

I think as long as he's healthy, we'll be fine. I don't expect him to ever score 48 goals again. He's still a great player, but slightly past his prime in terms of numbers and stats.

I think the whole ZDC line is not playing that well. They seem to turn the puck over a lot. Datsyuk seems to want to dangle the puck too much instead of making the simple play and more often then not he is turning it over. Cleary looks like he is trying to use skates with no edge and spends a lot of time on his ass. Zetta seems lost. The thing is I don't think that they should be split up because when they finally find their groove they are one of the best two way lines in hockey. Lets hope they can turn the corner soon.

Sorry but Hank was pretty darn good last year. He got 80 points, and he did a heck of a job leading the Wings when Pavs got injured last year. Also, in the playoffs against the Sharks, lets not forget that Pavs, Hank and Nick were the only consistent players every game- - if it were not for them, there would never have been the chance of making history. Hank will get his game going, and Pavs traditionally starts the season at an average rate and then picks things up near the end of October. Fact is we are 5-1, have tremendous depth, and this is going to be a real fun season to watch imo. IMO, this is the first time since 2007-08 that we are winning games like we did that year. We are way tighter Defensively, outshooting opponents, getting good offense. Lets wait a while before we call Hank out.

He's just getting older. I'm struggling with it myself because he's my favorite and I'm used to seeing him play a certain way and that guy doesn't appear as often anymore. At the same time, like he said in that one Swedish interview, he's simply not 22 anymore (or whatever early 20 number he stated) and so he's got to find a different way to be effective while pacing himself for a looooooooong season. I'm still going to watch him closely and I'm sure he'll find a way to get those points.

Was at Friday's game, row 6 lower bowl. He seemed to be favoring his left leg at times.. And grimacing. His endurance is definitely not where it usually is and his stride was not normal also. Something seems to be up.

I didn't see last nights game but I thought so far that Z has looked real good. Like other people are saying ZDC isn't working, put Hudler there and you'll see a sweet ass line. I was thinking during all previous games so far how good Z has looked to me so I question my own sanity when I read all these posts. I thought him and Dats have looked stellar together so far, great passing, great on the back check (obviously), and creating great scoring chances. I truly dont feel it's anything major just a case of being a couple weeks in and finding that mojo again, the only thing I think he needs to get back is his accuracy has slipped a tad...I hope to see a solid year from the euro twins yet again!

He's off to a slow start. That's where I'm gonna leave it. I bet he'll have 2 3-point nights in a row and everyone will be saying "there we go".

i really hope so. now that i think of it, that's usually what happens for Z as he usually starts the season off slow. i think it was the 07-08 season he started off terribly and then tore s*** right up for 25 games. i was just hoping you guys could tell me what's up and i'm hurting to go home and watch hockey. thanks boys.

Was at Friday's game, row 6 lower bowl. He seemed to be favoring his left leg at times.. And grimacing. His endurance is definitely not where it usually is and his stride was not normal also. Something seems to be up.

I didn't specifically notice his leg, but he hasn't been playing quite the same as he normally does; he's been more cautious when he has the puck and quicker to give it up. Things like this have made me think for the past couple of games that Cleary isn't the only top-line winger injured right now.

I didn't see last nights game but I thought so far that Z has looked real good. Like other people are saying ZDC isn't working, put Hudler there and you'll see a sweet ass line. I was thinking during all previous games so far how good Z has looked to me so I question my own sanity when I read all these posts. I thought him and Dats have looked stellar together so far, great passing, great on the back check (obviously), and creating great scoring chances. I truly dont feel it's anything major just a case of being a couple weeks in and finding that mojo again, the only thing I think he needs to get back is his accuracy has slipped a tad...I hope to see a solid year from the euro twins yet again!

Except breaking up the 2nd line right now would be suicide. The second line is arguably the only line holding us in some of the games. That line has 1/3 of the points of the entire team right now.

Guest blueadams

I honestly don't like him with Pav anymore.

I'd like to see...

Filppula-Datsyuk-Cleary

Hudler-Zetterberg-Franzen

Zetterberg always seems like he's trying to get stronger, but that seems to come with some sacrifice in terms of speed and agility. I remember this happening a few years back, I think, too. He sort of hits his stride midway though the season, I bet.

We should use or depth to rest these guys up.

Guest blueadams

Except breaking up the 2nd line right now would be suicide. The second line is arguably the only line holding us in some of the games. That line has 1/3 of the points of the entire team right now.

shouldn't any second line have about 1/3 of your team's points??

His production has been low but he hasn't looked bad at all to me, certainly not injured-bad. His shots aren't going in but that's been a problem for him the last few years, we can only hope that changes.

I think it was against Washington or maybe against Columbus when he took the puck into the zone, made his awesome outside-in move on the D and almost got a great scoring chance but chose to hold on to the puck instead and go around the net. He's doing good things for the most part and I'm sure pucks will start to go in for him and Pav at a rapid pace soon.

Zetterberg is a notoriously slow starter. No worries, folks.

Really?

ALL STATS AFTER 7 GAMES:

02/03 - 5pts (Rookie year)

03/04 - 6pts

05/06 - 9pts

06/07 - 3pts (ended the year with only 68 pts, worst since lockout, but more due to injury as he was above ppg)

07/08 - 13pts

08/09 - 8pts

09/10 - 7pts

10/11 - 10pts

11/12 - 2pts

When I look at those stats, this year appears to be an anomoly, rather than the rule. He doesn't appear to be a notorious slow starter at all.

That said, I'm not too worried, but I also think some people need to have realistic expectations. You can't expect the guy to score 40+ goals and 90+ or 100pts. Just because he's scored 40 goals and 90pts once in his career, doesn't mean he'll ever do it again. I think a ppg is closer to the ceiling than the floor for this guy and I think a lot of people may be putting a ppg as the floor and if he doesn't get there, then he's had an off year. Yes, 2pts in 7 games is nowhere near a ppg, but 7 games is far too small of a sample size. He could very well have terrible numbers by the end of the year, but I'm not ready to worry about that yet.

Need to remember that he's only getting older and he isn't going to age like Lidstrom has.