• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#61 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

Need to remember that he's only getting older and he isn't going to age like Lidstrom has.

I wonder what the chances are of Z retiring before Lidstrom. Hear me out. We all know Lidstrom could play another 5 years if he wanted to, and I certainly don't think this year will be his last. Z is making 6 million a year for the next few decades, how long will he be worth that much? Say a couple years from now he simply isn't pulling his weight in the top 6 and he is demoted to third line center or something. I'm sure he'd be an incredible one, but for $6 million a season? Obviously when he signed his contract he wasn't remotely planning on playing it out. So if he isn't playing in the top 6, would he simply retire? I think the chance that Z retired before Lidstrom is pretty low (maybe around 20%), but I definitely think we could see Z retiring in the next 3 years, unfortunately.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#62 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

Now's the time to trade Lids and Dats, Kenny, they're both getting older! Quick! Before I have to pop another Xanax or Ritalin!

Didn't we trade them to Tampa for picks, pucks, and Eric Hipple?

#63 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

I wonder what the chances are of Z retiring before Lidstrom. Hear me out. We all know Lidstrom could play another 5 years if he wanted to, and I certainly don't think this year will be his last. Z is making 6 million a year for the next few decades, how long will he be worth that much? Say a couple years from now he simply isn't pulling his weight in the top 6 and he is demoted to third line center or something. I'm sure he'd be an incredible one, but for $6 million a season? Obviously when he signed his contract he wasn't remotely planning on playing it out. So if he isn't playing in the top 6, would he simply retire? I think the chance that Z retired before Lidstrom is pretty low (maybe around 20%), but I definitely think we could see Z retiring in the next 3 years, unfortunately.

Chances of him retiring before Lidstrom are lower than that I'd say. While Lids "could" play another 5 years, I highly doubt that would happen, I think this may be his last, but if not, definately next year.

I don't think Z will play out his entire contract, but I also don't think he retires in the next 3 years. It's possible, but I wouldn't put the possibilty as high as 20%.

#64 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

DON'T WAIT UNTIL THE TEN GAME MARK OR UNTIL HE'S HEALTHY!!

Is Z hurt/not healthy?

Edited by Learn2LuvIt, 27 October 2011 - 10:16 AM.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#65 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:39 PM

I think this is about par for the course for Zetterberg. Of course we can expect him to step up his play in the playoffs, but he simply is not motivated enough with his 10-year $6 mil per contract.

Zetterberg is not getting any younger, has chronic back issues, and now has a nice juicy contract. Wake me up when it's time for playoffs and let's hope he is healthy then.

#66 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 679 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

Didn't we trade them to Tampa for picks, pucks, and Eric Hipple?

+1 for the Eric Hipple reference... although I was always more of a Gary Danielson guy.

As for Z, people just need to relax. He may not be the 40+ goal scorer he was (once), but he's still a 75+ pts producer, can play two forward positions well, is an incredible shutdown forward, is one of the heart and soul guys on the team (and our likely next captain), and has carried the entire team on his back for stretches when injuries occur as recently as last season.

And his wife is really hot and I'd hate to see less of her around here were he traded.

There, I've said my peace. We keep Z.
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#67 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

I think this is about par for the course for Zetterberg. Of course we can expect him to step up his play in the playoffs, but he simply is not motivated enough with his 10-year $6 mil per contract.

Zetterberg is not getting any younger, has chronic back issues, and now has a nice juicy contract. Wake me up when it's time for playoffs and let's hope he is healthy then.

Ah yes, the ol' "he's phoning it in" chestnut. Hilarity.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#68 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

Did he suddenly just lose motivation in seven games? Once again, I will state Z finished top ten in the league in scoring last season and carried this team with Pavel out. Someone struggles for seven games and he doesn't care about the game anymore? I am confident you could ask every member of his teammates/coaching staff and not one would have a bad thing to say about Z's work ethic.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#69 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

I too find these posts ridiculous! Guys, we are 7 games into the season! To top that, we are 5-2, which is a pretty fair start to the season. Keep in mind, we have had 2 LONG layoffs, which makes it difficult for some players to get into a rhythm of things, so now that the schedule is picking up, and the top line is being called out by Babs to do better. I am excited for when the top line gets going (Hopefully Dats and Z with Homer cuz Cleary stinks on that line)and everyone on here will be talking about how great zetterberg is. Chill out guys and watch, because Pavs and Z never fail us in the grand scheme of things, and turning against them 7 games into the season is not what Red Wings fans should be about.

#70 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

I too find these posts ridiculous! Guys, we are 7 games into the season! To top that, we are 5-2, which is a pretty fair start to the season. Keep in mind, we have had 2 LONG layoffs, which makes it difficult for some players to get into a rhythm of things, so now that the schedule is picking up, and the top line is being called out by Babs to do better. I am excited for when the top line gets going (Hopefully Dats and Z with Homer cuz Cleary stinks on that line)and everyone on here will be talking about how great zetterberg is. Chill out guys and watch, because Pavs and Z never fail us in the grand scheme of things, and turning against them 7 games into the season is not what Red Wings fans should be about.

i agree with you that most of it is cause the wings only play on weekends and have to derp around all week waiting to play a game, but the reason i started this topic was to simply ask everyone what was up with Z, not to call out my favourite player and say he's no good anymore. i'm 100% Z homer, whereas his s*** don't stink to me... the problem is, as i said in the OP, i can't "watch" anything but the 1:30 of highlights, which doesn't tell me much more than who scored, and who the game's suspension candidate is. i will assume like the rest that Z will finish a point per game, but i was just wondering why he wasn't scoring and if maybe his back was acting up again and he's playing injured....again. that's all. Z's the s***. and yes, if cleary can't skate without falling, which happens for a portion of every season with him, take him off the top line and throw holmstrom on there cause you know exactly what he's gonna bring to the table every night.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#71 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

Did he suddenly just lose motivation in seven games? Once again, I will state Z finished top ten in the league in scoring last season and carried this team with Pavel out. Someone struggles for seven games and he doesn't care about the game anymore? I am confident you could ask every member of his teammates/coaching staff and not one would have a bad thing to say about Z's work ethic.

Babcock tells stories about needing to ask Z and Pavel to stop working out so often.

#72 redwingmachine

redwingmachine

3rd Line Checker

• Gold Booster
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

He has other things on his mind these days... :ph34r:

Posted Image

#73 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

Posted Image

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#74 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

Posted Image

What's your point? Everyone knew he was having a bad start statistically, that's not really in question. You could also project Phil Kessel to an 82 goal season right now.

His numbers will improve. I'm not sure if we'll ever see the 90+ point Zetterberg again, but he'll still return to looking like an elite player.

#75 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

What's your point?

People like him never make points. They're just here to needlessly annoy.

#76 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

Posted Image

Wouldn't he be on pace for a -36? :ninja:

Yeah. I don't think it will happen as predicted. No way will he play 81 games.

#77 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

Posted Image

when is zetterberg going to step up? this is getting ridiculous.

LOL

#78 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

Posted Image

when is zetterberg going to step up? this is getting ridiculous.

Matt Cullen is project for a 41 goal season, and +21. These projections 11 games in aren't too accurate.

#79 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hank is suffering from the same affliction that has taken over the rest of the team. He's no different, and no worse.

People like him never make points. They're just here to needlessly annoy.

His main job is to make us pine for mindfly. When he's not doing that, he's testing out his stand-up comedy routines on us. As you can clearly see, they're bombing.

Edited by Electrophile, 04 November 2011 - 12:10 PM.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#80 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

His main job is to make us pine for mindfly. When he's not doing that, he's testing out his stand-up comedy routines on us. As you can clearly see, they're bombing.

more of my posts are directly related to the red wings or hockey than yours. what does that tell you?

LOL