• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Ian White appreciation thread

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

I am simply enamored with how great this guy has been. Not to knock Rafalski while he's in retirement - he had an amazing prime, we're all very well aware of just how amazing his prime was - but IMO, White's been a huge upgrade thus far this season. A little bit better than I was expecting defensively. Unbelievably better than I was expecting offensively. Really great shot. Really great instincts. Really moves well without the puck and gets himself into great position. The best of him is really being brought out in our system. Really working well with Nick out there.

I mean...think about all the defensemen we wanted Holland to sign this off-season. Would any of them have even come close to what White's been thus far? My only regret is that we didn't sign him to a longer deal. Looks like a long-term addition to the core as far as mine eyes can see. Kronwall, White, Ericsson, probably Smith...maybe Stuart, maybe Kindl. The post-Nick future isn't looking quite so apocolyptic anymore. Especially if we sign you know who this off-season.

Taking money into consideration...the best free agent signing of the entire 2011 off-season thus far?

p.s. - if you don't know who, Shea Weber

I was very impressed with him the first few games, I think the last two he looked a bit more shaky though. Making some poor decision with the puck sometimes, for example some bad passes on the PP that Rafalski wouldn't have done.

Overall I'm happy with him but we gotta remember a lot of guys have looked great playing next to Lids.

I think he is looking great also... Kind of reminds me a bit of Dan Boyle the way he moves. I noticed him when we played against him in last years play offs and I'm very happy with him so far as well. Keep up the great work Whitey!

The Wings are getting what they paid for. That's for sure.

After Rafalski got injured in the 2009 playoffs, that contract was a huge waste.

I think it's going to take White 20-30 games to adapt to his new team, and he'll be a solid d-man for us. He's made a few mistakes early on, but I think he'll settle down as the season progresses. And if they keep him paired with Lidstrom, he's going to look good no matter what.

White is a solid player, I didnt see much of him after he left the t-dot but there he was there most consistent dman. If you look at his last couple years his salary is about right, but if you look again at the end of this season it'll look like a steal. Great job by Kenny on this one.

Edited by 13dangledangle

Ian White is very similar to Brad Stuart, a very very solid D-man, will lay a hit or two, sneaky shot.

He won't produce like Lids or Kronwall, but will be a very important cog to the success of this team.

Guest blueadams

Ian White is very similar to Brad Stuart, a very very solid D-man, will lay a hit or two, sneaky shot.

He won't produce like Lids or Kronwall, but will be a very important cog to the success of this team.

i think he's much much better offensively than stuart. his instincts are right up there with the best of em. and that quick sneaky shot he gets off is miles ahead of anything stuart's ever had.

defensively, not as big obviously...but stuart doesn't exactly throw that weight around anymore either. he seems less mistake prone in his own zone with the puck than stuie. seems to keep track of his man better as well. i think he's clearly our third best all-around defenseman.

i think he's much much better offensively than stuart. his instincts are right up there with the best of em. and that quick sneaky shot he gets off is miles ahead of anything stuart's ever had.

defensively, not as big obviously...but stuart doesn't exactly throw that weight around anymore either. he seems less mistake prone in his own zone with the puck than stuie. seems to keep track of his man better as well. i think he's clearly our third best all-around defenseman.

I'll give you that. In fact I also gave you +1 (I know you probably could care less). I am one of the people on here who really values the game Stuart brings. I liked the way White played when the Wings faced the Sharks.

Either way I was really trying to complement White, as I see more of him I guess I will see more of his qualities that you pointed out. But I really have only seen him since he was a Shark and only when they faced the Wings, so my opinion is based off of a small sample size.

Short story:

I agree and I am really happy with this signing and hope they extend him long term (4-6 years @ ~3 would be a steal).

Ian White is generally very solid and you won't often complain about his play.

Just be prepared, he will have moments that will cause you to curse at him.

The Leafs often tried to push him into a top-2 role and it just didn't work out. He's at his best when he's playing around 20-22 minutes a night.