• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

#321 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

Legit argument, but Detroit was 1 goal away from being tied with the best scoring team in the league last season. To me, scoring depth is more important than top heavy teams. Problem DRWs had was everyone (not named Lidstrom) went cold at the same time. Its hockey, it happens.

Agreed.

What those teams have in high end scoring, they lack in offensive or defensive depth. Wings had a ton of guys last season with 10 or more goals, and its really nice to know that any line can score. Its nice having 40 or 50 goal guys but not at the expense of depth.
Posted Image

#322 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

Agreed.

What those teams have in high end scoring, they lack in offensive or defensive depth. Wings had a ton of guys last season with 10 or more goals, and its really nice to know that any line can score. Its nice having 40 or 50 goal guys but not at the expense of depth.

I agree with this, depth is good, but I think Detroit needs to acquire one if not two LEGIT 40-50 goal threats. Maybe they won't score 50, but they need to be a threat to score every night. Franzen is just no longer that threat. Sad to say, neither is Zetterberg. I sure wish they were, but realty says that they are not...

Edited by LeftWinger, 07 November 2011 - 05:16 PM.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#323 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

I agree with this, depth is good, but I think Detroit needs to acquire one if not two LEGIT 40-50 goal threats. Maybe they won't score 50, but they need to be a threat to score every night. Franzen is just no longer that threat. Sad to say, neither is Zetterberg. I sure wish they were, but realty says that they are not...

What team wouldn’t want this? Fact is, Detroit doesn’t have the cap space for two 40 goal scorers or the tradable assets to acquire them. It’s debatable whether they have the players trade for one 40 goal scorer.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#324 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:41 AM

In my mode of thinking that one is a goalie and one is a winger, yes it is apple to oranges. In your way of thinking, no it isn't. Both trains of thought are neither right or wrong. Once again though I refer to impact. Not saying that Hudler cannot have a positive effect, but Thomas has made more of an impact than Hudler no matter how much you hype your boy up.

I never said Hudler made as much of an impact as Thomas. You're putting words in my mouth.

My point was that Hudler absolutely has the skill and ability to score 70-80 points in the right circumstances and has displayed this before at the NHL level. Picking Hudler to score 80 points at some point in the future is much shorter odds than, in 2005, picking Tim Thomas to win two of the next six Vezina trophies.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#325 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:54 AM

I want three Norris-caliber defenders. Hell, I want those three defenders to be the three Norris candidates every season. I'd also like a first line that will put up over 120 goals per season and a second line that can put up at least 100 goals per season, and I'd like a third line composed of Selke candidates.

But I'm not going to get that, because it's outside the bounds of what's realistically possible. And if I were to complain about it, my complaints would have no basis, because expectations of that sort would be very unreasonable.

Edited by Crymson, 08 November 2011 - 04:56 AM.

#326 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

I want three Norris-caliber defenders. Hell, I want those three defenders to be the three Norris candidates every season. I'd also like a first line that will put up over 120 goals per season and a second line that can put up at least 100 goals per season, and I'd like a third line composed of Selke candidates.

But I'm not going to get that, because it's outside the bounds of what's realistically possible. And if I were to complain about it, my complaints would have no basis, because expectations of that sort would be very unreasonable.

This. We make up for (or at least in theory) the lack of top 3 or top 6 offense by having a much better than average scoring potential on the bottom 2 lines. Expecting 2 50 goal scorers on top of the depth we have is completely unrealistic.

#327 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

averaging 1.75 goals per game, right now that is not only lacking a significant scoring threat on any line, but it also show that at the moment our "depth" in pretty shallow. As a matter of fact I would say they aren't even playing deep enough to be in the kiddie pool.

I do agree though that we don't have the right assets to acquire one, let alone two legit threats, so it is going to have to come from within. I only hope that goals for average goes up soon.

#328 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

averaging 1.75 goals per game, right now that is not only lacking a significant scoring threat on any line, but it also show that at the moment our "depth" in pretty shallow. As a matter of fact I would say they aren't even playing deep enough to be in the kiddie pool.

Sample size too small.

This. We make up for (or at least in theory) the lack of top 3 or top 6 offense by having a much better than average scoring potential on the bottom 2 lines. Expecting 2 50 goal scorers on top of the depth we have is completely unrealistic.

This isn't what I meant, nor what he meant. LeftWinger said that we need to acquire two scorers capable of scoring 40-50 goals. I noted that this was an unrealistic expectation, this being because of the rarity of such scorers and because of the realities of the salary cap world.

#329 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Meh. I still think they all scream for ice cream and not a trade.

#330 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

Well let's hope Franzen becomes that 40-50 goal scorer and proves me (and a few others) wrong. He was on a great pace last year until he petered out after that Ottawa game. So even tough he has picked it up the last couple, we have to see if he can maintain it all season and the playoffs... Nice to see he turned it around for now. We just some others to step it up too! Lids and Franz cannot not be our only goal scorers. (although if Lids keeps this up, he will be a shoe in for #8)

#331 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:08 AM

why hello there.

kindl has built up some value, package him with someone from the top 6 and a pick for a legit sniper/power forward.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#332 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:09 AM

Good to see this thread back.

Still screaming.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#333 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:12 AM

Good to see this thread back.

Still screaming.

I though this bump was needed.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#334 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

Franzen - Datsyuk - Mursak
Filppula - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Hudler - Helm - Abdelkader
Cleary - Emmerton - Eaves

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 18 November 2011 - 01:20 AM.

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.