333 replies to this topic

#41 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:07 PM

Put up or shut up. Simple as that.

Figured you'd have more to say than that. Oh well, silence is golden in whatever country you're in. I'm guessing Shoreline won't be saying much either since I threw his 2008 logic out of the window. On to the next one.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#42 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

Figured you'd have more to say than that. Oh well, silence is golden in whatever country you're in. I'm guessing Shoreline won't be saying much either since I threw his 2008 logic out of the window. On to the next one.

What else is there to say?

I showed how nobody is condoning the Wings' play the past two games and simply saying to lay off the panic button, and you respond by saying that laying off the panic button IS condoning the Wings' play. And then when I ask you to back up that logic, you accuse me of having nothing of substance to say.

You are aware how asinine that is, right?

Posted Image

Edited by Doc Holliday, 26 October 2011 - 05:14 PM.

Posted Image

#43 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

That post I made was 3 and a half hours ago, quit "living in the past". :cool:

Simple fact is the past two games they have played lethargic, undisciplined hockey.

^ Here is dallas "living in the past". 2 games doesn't make a season, it wouldn't even if the season ended in 7 games -- the Wings would still make the playoffs in good fashion.

In actuality, I skipped over your post because I was not quoted and I automatically skip posts that seem tl;dr and not interesting (bold text doesn't inherently make it so). I'm not sure what you mean by "throwing" my logic out the window, but if you'd like I can further make you eat your own four words you toss around like you were trying to oust Barack Obama for needless hypocritical slogans.

#44 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

Ouch. That hurt. It's sad you don't realize they are nearly one in the same.

It's sad that your attempt to condescend someone utilized shoddy English. It makes you look very silly.

Lol, -4, am I not kissing the Red Wings ass enough for you guys? I remember when this forum used to be good and someone could have a strong opinion. Now that's living in the past.

Are you unaware that people will disagree with you on a discussion board? You act as if it is somehow unfair. What were you expecting? Unanimous agreement?

Edited by Crymson, 26 October 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#45 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

Bertuzzi and Holmstrom for Stamkos.

Get her done, Kenny.

#46 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

Ouch. That hurt. It's sad you don't realize they are nearly one in the same.

Line combinations = roster. Pretty simple concept. Again, I'm not stating there is a problem. But if Babcock is hinting at it then maybe there is some truth to it. He's obviously trying to juggle the ROSTER to find some combination to spark the team becuase we all know they aren't playing the best hockey as of late, he's said so himself. Just because "it's been the most said statement by him" doesn't make it any less true. However I'm more inclined to think it could have been the month in between games they had. But if that spark, down the road, is waiving Brunnstrom and Emmerton and putting in Murask and Tatar, both of whom have more upside than the former, then so be it. Tatar is nothing but passion and hustle. Look at his first goal, kid wants to be a Red Wing. That's not saying the rest of the players don't. I have to try and be as clear as possible here.

I remember when nobody was safe from Bowman. Even Stevie was in Bowmans dog house. It's unfortunate everyone has gone soft.

I always find it humorous when people make references to the past, especially in sports and when it's five years ago. See, the thing about the past is, well, it's the past. It has little to no relevance to the team in the PRESENT. I *think* there is a saying about not living in the past, I'm not entirely positive though. Yes, it's virtually the same team in terms of the 'core' but you're talking about a Zetterberg, Datysuk, Lidstrom, Rafalaski, etc etc five years younger. There's a little difference there.

But I forgot they won the cup that year so surely they are destined to this year! But wait, I can live in the past as well. Didn't San Jose knock us out the past two years? Not quite sure I want that to repeat itself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, -4, am I not kissing the Red Wings ass enough for you guys? I remember when this forum used to be good and someone could have a strong opinion. Now that's living in the past.

Ha ha ha ha. I remember when it started. Those were good times. Freedom of Speech was Freedom of Speech back then. Now it's about popularity. They even keep a plus/minus stat on everybody so you can have a good rep or a bad rep. I'm a minus 51 right now. I feel like Ericsson! Damn. ha

I think you are over-reacting a little bit, however. The team isn't under .500 halfway through the season or anything. 5 and 2 after 7 games isn't horrible. The loss to Columbus was pretty lame, but outside of that, we've done pretty well. The Caps loss was going to happen no matter what. 2nd half of back to back on the road against the league's best team = we're going down. They should have just conceded that game when the season started and saved the trip to the east coast.

#47 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

Ha ha ha ha. I remember when it started. Those were good times. Freedom of Speech was Freedom of Speech back then. Now it's about popularity. They even keep a plus/minus stat on everybody so you can have a good rep or a bad rep. I'm a minus 51 right now. I feel like Ericsson! Damn. ha

It seems you feel persecuted when others disagree with you. If this is the case, then perhaps discussion boards are not for you. Go start a dictatorship somewhere if you want a gang of yes-men.

#48 evil204

evil204

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

The thing is...we played uninspired hockey in the 5 victories too, imo. We showed up for a period here and there, and won games against bad teams (except Vancouver, which was playing its 3rd road game in 4 nights). The lethargic play just didn't get exposed until we faced an opponent that has as much talent as we do, if not more.

#49 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

The thing is...we played uninspired hockey in the 5 victories too, imo. We showed up for a period here and there, and won games against bad teams (except Vancouver, which was playing its 3rd road game in 4 nights). The lethargic play just didn't get exposed until we faced an opponent that has as much talent as we do, if not more.

I don't believe "uninspired" play for a period here and there allows for 5 goals in total for the first 4 games.

The typical remnants of the type of uninspired hockey you speak of, that does in fact sometimes plague the Red Wings, is the team winning a 1 goal game when they were up far more than that, or off to a typical slow start, getting behind, and coming back to win by a goal or two, or coming one goal short. The first 5 games were decisive victories played with a stifling defence and playing for a full 60+ minute game. The last two games were very uncharacteristic of the Red Wings, but that s*** happens to teams during the regular season as they're not robots. Maybe you confused the lethargic Wings with the lethargic crowds in the lower bowl at the Joe? I'm not sure but you certainly aren't shooting anywhere near on target with your assertion of how the Wings played the first 5 games.

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

What a joke. A better way for you to put it would be to say that you expect domination. Complete and utter domination, such that you'll never need to fear that the other team will win.

#51 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

Meanwhile, the Pens continue to dominate without Crosby and Malkin. <_<
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#52 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

Me too. Those were the days before the thought police started patrolling.*

The only players acceptable to rip on are Ericsson and sometimes Hudler. Osgood used to be fair game too but sadly he retired.

I understand that no one wants a forum of mindfly's around here, but there's still constructive talk to be had when the team doesn't play well, even if it's critical. A forum full of "Holland is great! Babcock is great! The Wings are great! I'm sure it'll get better!" doesn't interest me much.

I don't think a trade is necessarily a solution, but Babs was obviously pissed by the players lack of effort last night. We're not imagining it. The first couple seasons Babcock had guys working hard and doing all the little things right. Maybe the novelty of his message is wearing off. I certainly wouldn't want to get rid of a coach as great as Babs and am not suggesting that, but complacency has been a repeating theme with this team the last couple seasons. Franzen just about openly says he gets bored with the regular season.

EDIT: and yes I know the team is 5-2. I'm not saying the Wings are doomed. It's obviously early in the season and on paper they're off to a great start. But doesn't "lack of effort" and phrases like it from the coach and players sound really familiar from last season? More than thinking it's a fatal flaw, it's a worry from me that things haven't changed.

*I'm not referring to the moderators

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 26 October 2011 - 07:16 PM.

#53 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Can we pursue Iginla at the trade deadline?

There's always rumblings in Calgary that he may be traded at the deadline.

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

Nobody is saying "Playing without effort is okay." People are simply saying "Whoa, don't freak out over the roster yet. It's been two games over an 82 game season. Let's see how they do for a bit before hitting the panic button."

It's sad that people can't understand the difference.

At the same time, people seem to think questioning lack of effort means the OP is saying "being 5 and 2 sucks!"

His original post was mostly about lack of effort. Yet most of the responses were essentially "we're 5-2. Shut the F up!" and basically ignoring what I think is a relevant point regardless of their record. Made even more relevant based on Babcock's reaction to last night's game.

It seems like most people reacted to the post title (which was probably poorly chosen) and not the content of his actual post.

#55 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

I do believe two seasons ago the Wings started out 0-2 by losing two straight games in Sweden to St. Louis(?) and that season turned out okie dokie considering... I am a bit frustrated over the last two games too, but even I am not calling for heads or trades. I simply want to see Babcock find the right line combo's very soon and for EVERYONE to give their 110%. Fans play huge amount of dollars to come see the stars play and when it seems like the stars are disinterested in playing, the fans feel slighted a bit.

For the user that said in 2008 we had Downey, isn't our powerplay our enforcer? :ninja: Seriously though, I think more than that, we need THREE scoring lines instead of two. I think Abdelkader - Helm - Eaves should be the fourth line and have three legit scoring threats on the other three lines, if that means losing Miller/Hudler/Brunnstrom and or Emmerton, I am not sure, but I think that Babcock should try to assemble three scoring lines with snipers on all three...but with the lineup we have I do realize that is probably not possible, but I hope it can because I really like the guys on our roster (except one) and would hate to lose any of them (except one.)

For now, keep experimenting until the right mix is found and if December comes and they still haven't found it, then maybe start to deal wheels in motion....

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.50 PPG

#56 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

Meanwhile, the Pens continue to dominate without Crosby and Malkin. <_<

they have also lost 2 games...and have played 11 games. That means our winning percentage is better, plus we have given up less goals even with 10 in the last two games. It is Washington that is the best team in the league right now, they are flying on all cylinders...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.50 PPG

#57 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

I have been avoiding this thread because of all the years to post this its now? We have been one of the oldest teams for a few years running and as soon as we shed years off our median age so where smack dap in the heard you demand to be younger? Im not even going to comment on Zetterberg is a "superstar" comment, just ridiculous.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#58 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

#59 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

We're 5-2?!?!?!!?! TRADE EVERYONE! FIRE KENNY!
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#60 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

I do think moves need to be made at some point this season.

In my opinion, we can't win the Cup with this roster. We've tried two seasons in a row, and couldn't get past the 2nd round. Sometimes, you have to try something different, and not keep banging your head against a brick wall in aimless futility.

And I'm not saying this because we've lost two games in a row. I said before the season that some kind of changes would have to be made at the deadline. We'll have to wait till then.

We're still a good team and will likely win the division, but there's no reason to expect a Cup run with this roster. We've learned as much in recent years.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 26 October 2011 - 09:43 PM.