• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

#141 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:54 PM

Of course not. The fact that he's sexier than socks on a rooster pales in comparison to the fact that he hits people and makes them bleed, which is the important part.

The 'stache is just part of his charm.

He's also, from what I've read, a very intelligent and giving person. Plus we both harvest our heads for Locks of Love. :thumbup:

I get to watch a fair number of Ducks games (hey, I'm a hockey fan in So Cal, I'll take what I can get) and honestly from what I've seen he does seem like a really intelligent, nice guy. He went to college at Princeton, I think. Sounds like he figured out his way into the NHL is to drop the gloves so he's making the most of it. As much as I hate the Ducks, he's a good character guy I just can't bring myself to hate.

socks on a rooster?

#142 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

Nevermind.

Edited by P. Marlowe, 29 October 2011 - 06:59 PM.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#143 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

I might be changing my tune on a trade if we lose tonight. lol.

#144 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

I might be changing my tune on a trade if we lose tonight. lol.

You already declared that the Wings will not win the Cup this season. Why are you still here if you've already given up?

#145 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:26 PM

Exuse me but last time I checked we just lost 4 in a row. I'm still a Wings fan until I die. What's your thoughts Mr. nothings wrong right now? Just wondering.

Also question for ya. You think with the squad we have we can win the Cup? Cause honestly I don't. Doesn't mean I can't post my thoughts. Cheers.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 29 October 2011 - 10:32 PM.

#146 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

You already declared that the Wings will not win the Cup this season. Why are you still here if you've already given up?

You act like everyone here is severely overreacting and wants to tear this team apart. While a select few might make hasty and irrational comments to that effect, most of us don't.

The team hasn't played well lately. End of story. As fans, can we not criticize that?

If we have doubts that our team might not be good enough to win the Cup--are we no longer fans? If anything it's because we care and are able to see the flaws in our favorite team.

A slight overreaction on the pessimistic side is still much better than this cockeyed, self-righteous optimism of yours.

#147 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

Nah, I wouldn't date anyone I met on a message board. Too creepy.

Not even me? I'm one of the best dates out there (when pro-rated to 82 games) Posted Image
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#148 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:20 AM

I didn't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been said.

I have to agree about needing a trade. Other than Rafalski being replaced by White and some supporting cast coming and going, this team has been riding the same pony for going on three seasons. The Central division is getting better, and in watching these past couple of games, it seems like the opposition knows exactly what to expect from us. I predict the same thing will happen this season that happened in the last two: a whole bunch of injuries all year, no deals at the deadline, followed by an early playoff exit orchestrated by a team that is younger and more physical, which will be followed by excuses about players playing hurt or Howard being tired blah blah. One thing I don't like about this team is all the players that getting paid big bucks for their potential contributions rather than actual contributions. "Cough Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Ericsson Cough". By no means am I saying we need to dismantle the whole team, I think we need to make deals like we did in 96/97 when we got Shanahan and Murphy. We were in the same boat then, we were a good team, just couldn't go all the way and the Shanahan deal is what carried us over the hump.

Edited by DSM, 30 October 2011 - 12:22 AM.

#149 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:44 AM

i can't believe the response to the original post here has been so unanimously negative. it's a little overboard, sure. but he does make some points.

i personally cannot believe how much respect babcock - the same babcock that benched mike modano in the playoffs last season - continues to give to that worthless plug bertuzzi. especially with a ready-to-go talent like nyquist in grand rapids.

certainly there are some things the team needs to address. but there's too much panic right now. far too much.

#150 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:01 AM

I have been thinking a lot about a trade that could provide a youthful spark for the wings, but also possess some offensive upside as well. Then it hit me. Alexander Semin. Now i know i am probably a little biased here because I am a pretty big fan of Semin... I think he is very talented, but I think the Wings could benefit greatly if we could swing some sort of trade. Semin is very much like Franzen on our team... both of them have the ability to score goals, however, they also have the annoying ability to disappear at times. So how about some sort of trade involving Franzen and Semin (obviously it wouldn't just be straight up) but I think this would be beneficial to both teams.

- The Wings would gain a younger Semin, whom I think has one of the best shots in the league. Keep in mind Semin plays only 2nd line minutes in Washington with no one really good on his line, and still puts up 30 goals a season. Get him in Detroit and stick him with Pavs, that could be a dynamic duo. Not to mention, it would give us a much needed right handed shot for the power play.

- The Caps would gain something they desperately seek... experience. Franzen knows what it is like to win, he knows what it is like to play in key situations in the playoffs and, like Semin, has the ability to score goals. Franzen, unlike Semin, scores goals in different ways, which is something the Caps could look to benefit from.

I think this would be a great move for the both teams, and it would make the Wings into a more dangerous team and provide us with a legitimate "sniper" for the first time since Hossa.

#151 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

^^ I couldn't agree more about Hossa. As much as I disliked the guy, we haven't had a pure goal scorer since. We have scorers that don't always get it done that are either inconsistent (Franzen), aged (Holmstrom, Bertuzzi), oft injured (Franzen, Cleary), or haven't lived up to the hype (Hudler, Filppula).

Edited by DSM, 30 October 2011 - 01:12 AM.

#152 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,341 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:12 AM

I get to watch a fair number of Ducks games (hey, I'm a hockey fan in So Cal, I'll take what I can get) and honestly from what I've seen he does seem like a really intelligent, nice guy. He went to college at Princeton, I think. Sounds like he figured out his way into the NHL is to drop the gloves so he's making the most of it. As much as I hate the Ducks, he's a good character guy I just can't bring myself to hate.

socks on a rooster?

:blink: .....I always was under the impression you lived in Michigan.

Next I'll find out that GMR is chained up "gimp style" in Lilja's basement.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#153 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:18 AM

I didn't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been said.

I have to agree about needing a trade. Other than Rafalski being replaced by White and some supporting cast coming and going, this team has been riding the same pony for going on three seasons. The Central division is getting better, and in watching these past couple of games, it seems like the opposition knows exactly what to expect from us. I predict the same thing will happen this season that happened in the last two: a whole bunch of injuries all year, no deals at the deadline, followed by an early playoff exit orchestrated by a team that is younger and more physical, which will be followed by excuses about players playing hurt or Howard being tired blah blah. One thing I don't like about this team is all the players that getting paid big bucks for their potential contributions rather than actual contributions. "Cough Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Ericsson Cough". By no means am I saying we need to dismantle the whole team, I think we need to make deals like we did in 96/97 when we got Shanahan and Murphy. We were in the same boat then, we were a good team, just couldn't go all the way and the Shanahan deal is what carried us over the hump.

Er, Fil has been one of the hardest working players on the team, and is tied for the most points... You also didn't include Bert or Cleary in your list... Have you even watched this season?

#154 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:35 AM

Er, Fil has been one of the hardest working players on the team, and is tied for the most points... You also didn't include Bert or Cleary in your list... Have you even watched this season?

Sorry, I should have put an "etc." in there...

#155 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:09 AM

:blink: .....I always was under the impression you lived in Michigan.

Next I'll find out that GMR is chained up "gimp style" in Lilja's basement.

:lol:

I did for the first about the first 25 years of my life. then headed to west to avoid Michigan winters.

#156 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:03 AM

LOL. Typical. We're eight games into the season, and now Cleary sucks? Never mind that he was one of the team's best players last season. Never mind that he's a consistent all-around player. He hasn't been playing well over the last three weeks? HE SUCKS! TRADE HIM!

I never have and never will say that Cleary sucks. In fact he is one of my favorite Wings. I stated that he has not looked good for awhile. Cleary works hard there is no doubting that but he is could be replaced by somebody that could contribute on the score board as well. Perhaps you think that in order to make a trade you don't have to give anyone up? Or if you are so against a trade why are you reading a trade thread? :huh:

#157 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

You act like everyone here is severely overreacting and wants to tear this team apart. While a select few might make hasty and irrational comments to that effect, most of us don't.

The team hasn't played well lately. End of story. As fans, can we not criticize that?

If we have doubts that our team might not be good enough to win the Cup--are we no longer fans? If anything it's because we care and are able to see the flaws in our favorite team.

A slight overreaction on the pessimistic side is still much better than this cockeyed, self-righteous optimism of yours.

This. While I don't like the overreactions to the heat of the moment, when the dust settles, the obnoxious overreactions are usually few and most people discuss pros/cons and whatnot once they have winded down emotionally. While I don't like doomers or the overreactions again, the self-righteous twits are equally aggravating, if not more when it isn't the heat of the moment after a game and they are just baiting (even though they might not be intending to) and telling people off when it isn't warranted.

See above and take notes. Your schtick is absolutely aggravating, tiring and old. And this is coming from a guy who almost always sees the glass half-full and doesn't go on flip outs or panic attacks immediatly after a game. And this isn't just me saying this, you've been told this constantly in the past by others.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 30 October 2011 - 09:00 AM.

#158 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:17 AM

There is something wrong with this team. Just because some people freak out and want the team blown up over four losses doesn't mean that everything is hunky-dory and doesn't need to be changed or fixed.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#159 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

Figure a way to get Moen here. Big gritty PK shut down forward.

Uh....:blink:

That's not a knock on your suggestion, quite the opposite. I just remember all the opposition I had on here in the season following Detroit's loss in game 7 of the SCF in 2009 (ya, the one when Hudler was coming back to return us to the promised land) I was on the soapbox begging and begging to sign Travis Moen and Manny Malhotra, yet I got slammed by a number of folks, and got slammed even more when those signed for $1.5M per year in Montreal and San Jose respectively and Holland opted for signing Bertuzzi and Jason Williams for $1.5M each. I was ok with Bertuzzi, but hated, HATED the return of Hudler and the Williams signing. I voiced my opinion of Holland at the time and I think I amassed a -101 that off season. What made matters worse is Malhotra contacted the Wings wanting to sign here, but the team wasn't interested. In the matter of point production, these two really didn't outscore Holland's options or Hudler, but I still think this team would've been a better team and much harder to play against with Moen/Malhotra rather than Williams/Hudler. I do remember that offseason I was suggesting trading Hudler's rights at the draft to try to move up. Could you imagine this lineup with Moen, Malhotra and Bertuzzi instead of Williams, Hudler, Bertuzzi?

...I still think they would've been the better choices, I don't think we lose to San Jose neither time, and quite possibly had a return to the Cup glory, but we'll never know...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 1.00 PPG

#160 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

LOL. Typical. We're eight games into the season, and now Cleary sucks? Never mind that he was one of the team's best players last season. Never mind that he's a consistent all-around player. He hasn't been playing well over the last three weeks? HE SUCKS! TRADE HIM!

I too am not saying anyone "sucks" but like I said in the GDT from yesterday, we have seen these players peak, almost all of them. Cleary is always one of the "teams" best players, but he is never one of the "leagues" best players. Cleary (amongst others) has peaked and will not get any better than we have already seen. Abdelkader and Helm are what they are, and I don't see them getting any better, not that they are bad, but they are what they are. I said given the exception of Emmerton, this whole team has played their best season already and will continue on a downward slope or remain similar. Our team is what it is and is not getting any better, if not, slowly declining. Meanwhile most if not all other teams are making moves, bringing up young-in's and ARE getting better and better while Detroit sits stagnant. I do think Holland has tried to change the makeup of his a team a bit with signing Commodore and White along with Emmerton and Mursak (before injury) having a roster spot, but until something is done in the top 6, which I mean getting a legit top line sniper somehow, this team will remain stuck in this rut that we have grown used to since the 2008 win. I think Holland made mistakes by giving Franzen such a long contract, signing Ericsson, keeping Hudler (although nobody wanted him) and I think it will be a mistake if doesn't seriously, SERIOUSLY pursue one of Weber, Burns or Suter AND if not acquired at or before the deadline a LEGIT super scorer to put on Datsyuk's line and possibly another one for Zetterberg. Whether or not he will be able to do so, we'll see, but this is what the team needs.

I am not calling for heads, but if this team is gonna get better, there has to be change. This team is good enough to make the playoffs, but they are gonna get any better than what we've seen.

edit: I had to edit because I didn't know Burns signed a life long deal and Weber is still a RFA after this season...how is that?

Edited by LeftWinger, 30 October 2011 - 10:58 AM.

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 1.00 PPG