Yay, more stuff in Pittsburgh.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#22 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:06 AM

Gary Bettman is stepping down as commissioner, and announcing that he and Sidney Crosby are getting married and moving upstate to run a small bed-and-breakfast in the Adirondacks. The league will henceforth be run by the Puck-O-Tron 3000. Think R2D2, but way smarter about hockey. Which would be a step above Bettman anyway.

:lol:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#23 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

Is Pit that great a town that everyone wants to keep going back? I myself have never been so I don't get it. Maybe I should visit and then get back to you on if it is the greatest thing ever...or just an old rundown steel town.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,082 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

Is Pit that great a town that everyone wants to keep going back? I myself have never been so I don't get it. Maybe I should visit and then get back to you on if it is the greatest thing ever...or just an old rundown steel town.

Pittsburgh's population in 1950 was in the 600,000 range.

Nowadays, it's barely 300,000.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#25 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

Pittsburgh's population in 1950 was in the 600,000 range.

Nowadays, it's barely 300,000.

Which you can blame on the end of the steel industry in this country. When the mills shut down, people left. Gary, Indiana used to be another bustling metropolis, but it befell the same fate.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#26 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

Which you can blame on the end of the steel industry in this country. When the mills shut down, people left. Gary, Indiana used to be another bustling metropolis, but it befell the same fate.

Dead on. You can also throw the other "Rust Belt" cities in that group as well (Cleveland, Youngstown, and Erie).

Edited by Learn2LuvIt, 27 October 2011 - 02:09 PM.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#27 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

Downtown Pittsburgh has been rejuvenated over the last few years. I was out there last April for the PMEA All-State Chorus with my student who made it for the second time and it is quite nice. The new convention center and adjoining hotel complex was top notch, and everything in walking distance was pretty nice. My Zetterberg jersey drew some nasty looks but when I was in Primanti's with my student the owner was impressed that a Wings fan knew about the dark days of Dick Tarnstrom leading the Pens in scoring. The area is starting to upswing a bit.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#28 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

Apart from the whole steel industry issue, the decline in population could aslo be due to people moving to the burbs. If you use Detroit as an example, the population in 1950 was almost 1.9 million, now it's about 700k, however, the population of the entire metro area has actually grown.

Anyway, the reason for holding the draft in Pittsburgh has everything to do with the new arena....nothing else really. They'll likely get an allstar game there sometime soon as well.