RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#22 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

So, I guess I will be the one to ask it, what would people think if the Wings picked up Avery on re-entry waivers? It would be a really cheap pick up and it could spark some guys if he played well so I don't think I would be very upset by it, especially after sending Brunnstrom down.

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#23 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

So, I guess I will be the one to ask it, what would people think if the Wings picked up Avery on re-entry waivers? It would be a really cheap pick up and it could spark some guys if he played well so I don't think I would be very upset by it, especially after sending Brunnstrom down.

I'd be a fan of it, as long as he kept his mouth shut. He's shown time and time again that he can be an extremely effective player when he wants to play hockey.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#24 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:48 PM

http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage
http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage

Good stuff from his rookie days here :thumbup:

He might be a dummy off the ice, but I love Sean Avery and he was a good player for us while he was here. Plus, any guy who hates the Avs because he plays for Detroit (or however that quote went) is OK by me! Hope he gets back with the Rangers and does well. (and keeps his mouth shut :hehe:)

#NOMOREKINDL

#25 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

He might be a dummy off the ice, but I love Sean Avery and he was a good player for us while he was here. Plus, any guy who hates the Avs because he plays for Detroit (or however that quote went) is OK by me! Hope he gets back with the Rangers and does well. (and keeps his mouth shut :hehe:)

I loved that quote by him back when he was with Detroit. I hope he finds his way back into the Rangers lineup, or someone picks him up. He's only 31, I think he's still got something to offer. Continuing the memories of him as a Wing:

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#26 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

I don't quite get what Rangers fans are going for here, only thing I can think of is just expressing their displeasure that he doesn't play on the team anymore. When Tort flat out said we have better players and sent him away i'd assume those bridges were burned with those comments and there is zero chance of him playing in a Rangers uniform again. Do they think that Tort is just gonna apologize, say he didn't mean it and bring him back?

As for Avery back on the Wings, i'd pass. I'm not denying that he has some skill and can contribute but the headache doesn't outweigh the production imo. If we go that direction i'd rather have a player like Chris Neil.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#27 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:37 AM

I don't quite get what Rangers fans are going for here, only thing I can think of is just expressing their displeasure that he doesn't play on the team anymore. When Tort flat out said we have better players and sent him away i'd assume those bridges were burned with those comments and there is zero chance of him playing in a Rangers uniform again. Do they think that Tort is just gonna apologize, say he didn't mean it and bring him back?

As for Avery back on the Wings, i'd pass. I'm not denying that he has some skill and can contribute but the headache doesn't outweigh the production imo. If we go that direction i'd rather have a player like Chris Neil.

I think Avery would be a pleasant surprise for us, assuming he keeps his mouth shut. As for Neil specifically, I think he'll will be in Ottawa his entire career. The fans love him, he seems to feel at home there. He's a good locker-room presence, but I know what you mean. Travis Moen is another guy I'd like here.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#28 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

I think Avery would be a pleasant surprise for us, assuming he keeps his mouth shut. As for Neil specifically, I think he'll will be in Ottawa his entire career. The fans love him, he seems to feel at home there. He's a good locker-room presence, but I know what you mean. Travis Moen is another guy I'd like here.

You think too highly of Avery.

Posted Image

#29 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

My biggest question that I ponder alot is would he have turned out the way he is now if the Wings would have kept him? I mean I know he didn't really fit with what our team was about at the time but I just wonder how things would have turned out if things were different and he was still on the Wings Roster. My first guess is that yes he wouldn't be like this and that Detroit would keep him a lot more tamed than he has become. Just courious!!

#30 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

I liked him when he was here. He's a dick now, but when he was here he was more of a grinder/agitator than a goon.

That's because the Wings organization wouldn't have stood for him being a dick. The management and culture of a team does a lot to shape a player.

#31 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

After watching the Rangers' third period snooze they took v. Ottawa on Saturday afternoon, not only will they welcome Avery back but the planning for the ceremony for the retiring of his jersey has probably begun.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#32 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

That's because the Wings organization wouldn't have stood for him being a dick. The management and culture of a team does a lot to shape a player.

Agreed.

#33 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

He's on re-entry waivers. :D

link

#34 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

My biggest question that I ponder alot is would he have turned out the way he is now if the Wings would have kept him? I mean I know he didn't really fit with what our team was about at the time but I just wonder how things would have turned out if things were different and he was still on the Wings Roster. My first guess is that yes he wouldn't be like this and that Detroit would keep him a lot more tamed than he has become. Just courious!!

Holland traded Avery because the latter did not have respect for the sport. The reason he is not on the team is precisely because of his awful attitude.

#35 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

Holland traded Avery because the latter did not have respect for the sport. The reason he is not on the team is precisely because of his awful attitude.

Spot on. Also, if memory serves me correctly, I believe this decision went as high up as Mr. Ilitch as he soon after made comments in the paper about "certain" players not fitting in with the identity of the Red Wings.
It's funny, on the first floor of Duggans Pub (Woodward and 12) there is an old picture taken there of Avery, Cheli, Federov, Dandenault, and McCarty (I think that is all of them in the picture?). Anyway, besides all of them looking hammered, Avery looks sooo freakin young. Curly haired and looks like he's about 15. I always think what could have been if he would have been a different type of guy...so much potential.
ENJOY THE RIDE

#36 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

Avery's first scrap since returning from the AHL:

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#37 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

Avery's first scrap since returning from the AHL:

Saw this live, I thought for sure Konopka was gonna destroy him, surprised at how even the fight was.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#38 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:17 PM

Saw this live, I thought for sure Konopka was gonna destroy him, surprised at how even the fight was.

Yeah, but I still gave the nod to Konopka. League leader in penalty minutes, so far.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#39 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

Boo-Yaaa!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#40 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

Boo-Yaaa!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QbfTbXRGgI

esteef

When he decides to play hockey, he's effective. The fans absolutely adore him.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien