• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Secret

Assistant Captain - Tomas Kopecky

Rate this topic

I won tickets to see the Sens vs Panthers game last night and it was the most boring game I have ever watched. The most exciting part was watching the little kids playing 3 on 3 during the first intermission. I couldn't believe my eye's to see Kopecky wearing the Assistant Captain's A on his jersey... LOL. I thought there would be some that would be amused by this. Btw, He is just as bad in Florida as he was on the Wings.

I won tickets to see the Sens vs Panthers game last night and it was the most boring game I have ever watched. The most exciting part was watching the little kids playing 3 on 3 during the first intermission. I couldn't believe my eye's to see Kopecky wearing the Assistant Captain's A on his jersey... LOL. I thought there would be some that would be amused by this. Btw, He is just as bad in Florida as he was on the Wings.

I seriously can't think of another hockey player who has had the good fortune that Kopecky has. Cleaning up scraps on the Hossa line in Chicago, then the ridiculous contract in Florida. Now alternate captain???

I seriously can't think of another hockey player who has had the good fortune that Kopecky has. Cleaning up scraps on the Hossa line in Chicago, then the ridiculous contract in Florida. Now alternate captain???

Even Jeff Finger is perplexed.

Only in Florida.

Anyone else notice that as soon as players leave Florida they almost all tear it up, or become the player they were before going to FLA or the player they were supposed to be before being drafted by FLA.

Examples (I am sure there are counter examples too)

N. Horton

J. Bouwmeester

O Jokinen

T. Vokoun (from washed up to very early Vezina candidate)

etc....

Florida, where a hockey player's skill and old people go to die!!

Upon seeing the A on his teammate's chest, new panther Mikeal Samuelsson told the organization to go do something thought to be anatomically impossible until the Swedish Olympic Committee did so at his behest in 2010.

Seriously, he's a two-time Stanley Cup Champion. That looks great on a resume. The rest is just details.

Congrats, Kokopuffs.

Only in Florida.

Anyone else notice that as soon as players leave Florida they almost all tear it up, or become the player they were before going to FLA or the player they were supposed to be before being drafted by FLA.

Examples (I am sure there are counter examples too)

N. Horton

J. Bouwmeester

O Jokinen

T. Vokoun (from washed up to very early Vezina candidate)

etc....

Florida, where a hockey player's skill and old people go to die!!

As a Floridian who regularly watches the team, I have to say that Vokoun was one of the most underrated goalies in the NHL while on the Panthers. He was largely the reason that the Panthers won any games at all...and I was really sad to see him go, especially at the price that Washington got him.

2010-11: .922 sv%, 10th in the league

2009-10: .925 sv%, 3rd in the league

2008-09: .926 sv %, 2nd in the league

2007-08: .919 sv%, 12th in the league

Those are great numbers for any goalie, especially for one stuck on one of the most consistently bad teams in the league for a while now. He's been good for a long time, but nobody really paid any attention to him down here.

That aside, I can't believe Kopecky got an A...but I guess I can't really say I'm surprised :rolleyes:

Guest Crymson

All you have to do to get an A on your jersey is take a beatdown from Beauchemin? :P

So long as it gets someone into the rotation who is vastly more deserving of a spot than you are, yes.

38 goals, 68 assists, and 98 points and counting in the NHL.

2 Stanley Cup championships.

What have you done lately?

Hmm, I guess when you put it that way, I don't have anything that can compare to that. So it's probably a good thing I'm not making $3+ million a year in the NHL.

And you left off a couple stats. 98 points in 347 NHL games and a career -22. Plus minus is a somewhat weak stat, but last year on the Hawks he was a -13 with the next closest player being Nick Leddy at -3, the net closest forward was Brower at -2. The top forward being Toews at +28. When your +/- is that far down the s***ter on your team, it probably does indicate something.

For the record I don't hate Kopecky. I'm just baffled by the fortunate opportunities he keeps getting based on his career to date. Maybe he'll live up to that contract. Who knows.

Guest 13GoWings40

Well you know he sat there injured while we went to the cup final twice, you can't find that kind of cup-winning experience anywhere :lol:

I

As a Floridian who regularly watches the team, I have to say that Vokoun was one of the most underrated goalies in the NHL while on the Panthers. He was largely the reason that the Panthers won any games at all...and I was really sad to see him go, especially at the price that Washington got him.

2010-11: .922 sv%, 10th in the league

2009-10: .925 sv%, 3rd in the league

2008-09: .926 sv %, 2nd in the league

Ii2007-08: .919 sv%, 12th in the league

Those are great numbers for any goalie, especially for one stuck on one of the most consistently bad teams in the league for a while now. He's been good for a long time, but nobody really paid any attention to him down here.

That aside, I can't believe Kopecky got an A...but I guess I can't really say I'm surprised :rolleyes:

This. Vokoun was just forgotton about by almost everyone, including only getting two offers, from Ken Holland and George McPhee (two guys that know what they're doing?) Vokoun's numbers in Florida were great considering being on the Panthers. If we weren't committed to Howard, I would have been overjoyed to sign him.

Bouwmeester was arguably better as a Panther than he has been as a flame.

I think the story on Horton is that he just lost the passion playing for the Panthers.

Jokinen's most dominant and best statistical years were as a Panther. If anything, he's been a disappointment everywhere else he's went. Ask Flames, Coyotes, Islander, Ranger, and Kings fans.

Edited by achildr1

Guest Crymson

This. Vokoun was just forgotton about by almost everyone, including only getting two offers, from Ken Holland and George McPhee (two guys that know what they're doing?)

Nowhere did he say that he only got two offers. He said that he only considered two teams. I think the idea that he didn't get any other offers at all strays outside the bounds of common sense.

Nowhere did he say that he only got two offers. He said that he only considered two teams. I think the idea that he didn't get any other offers at all strays outside the bounds of common sense.

He didn't. I read the quotes. He said he was shocked when no one called. His only two offers were the Red Wings and Capitals and the Capitals were offering him the starting position. I was shocked to read it, I'm a big fan of Vokoun. I'll try to find em and get em on here.

EDIT: http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-capitals/2011/7/12/2272044/tomas-vokoun-rumor-detroit-red-wings

He may have initially received an offer from Florida, but it appears that after Free agency started, that was it.

Edited by achildr1

Good on him. Sometimes you luck out and get plenty of breaks like people have described. Not like he's doing anything illegal or wrong to get these things. Happy for him.

38 goals, 68 assists, and 98 points and counting in the NHL.

2 Stanley Cup championships.

What have you done lately?

You tried last season convincing people with a Kopecky thread that he is more than he's worth. Nobody listened to you. If you think he's worth something, great, but why do you think this time around is going to be any different with you trying to convince others?

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Good on him. Sometimes you luck out and get plenty of breaks like people have described. Not like he's doing anything illegal or wrong to get these things. Happy for him.

You tried last season convincing people with a Kopecky thread that he is more than he's worth. Nobody listened to you. If you think he's worth something, great, but why do you think this time around is going to be any different with you trying to convince others?

Psst. Here's a history lesson about Tomas Kopecky. Back when he played in the AHL, on a line with Hudler and Don MacLean, I said he could develop into a top-six forward. People here laughed and made fun of me. When he played on the fourth line in Detroit, I held fast and said he could be a top-six forward, and ideally learn to use his size effectively. Hey, look, guess what? Tomas Kopecky is a top six forward in the NHL. He scored over 40 points last year. He'll probably do it again this year. He plays PP and PK. You can dislike the guy, but at least give him credit.

Even if you don't give me any. wink.gif

Psst. Here's a history lesson about Tomas Kopecky. Back when he played in the AHL, on a line with Hudler and Don MacLean, I said he could develop into a top-six forward. People here laughed and made fun of me. When he played on the fourth line in Detroit, I held fast and said he could be a top-six forward, and ideally learn to use his size effectively. Hey, look, guess what? Tomas Kopecky is a top six forward in the NHL. He scored over 40 points last year. He'll probably do it again this year. He plays PP and PK. You can dislike the guy, but at least give him credit.

Even if you don't give me any. wink.gif

*Forehead smack* Looks like I gave him credit above. Absolutely have zero against the guy.

Once again, that's nice that he has developed some and that he did.

Once again, you tried last season convincing people with a Kopecky thread that he is more than he's worth. Nobody listened to you. If you think he's worth something, great, but why do you think this time around is going to be any different with you trying to convince others?

People are already going to have their thoughts of Kopecky, fair or not, regardless of you telling them otherwise or stroking your own ego. So you could actually answer my question instead of feeding your own ego.