• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Brunnstrom on waivers

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

I don't understand the impressions some have that Brunnstrom was likely to be a successful scorer with the Wings. Brunnstrom was highly-touted in the SEL and was highly sought-after, but did not pan out as expected in the NHL. Highly-rated players who do not bear up to expectations are very common in every professional sport. The fact that Brunnstrom is one of these thus far makes me believe that he will clear waivers.

If Brunnstrom showed in practice and preseason that he was potentially of more use to the team than other players, he would have received more of a shot. He didn't. Babcock and Holland know far more than we do. If they made this call, I'm confident that it's the right one. They are highly competent and very experienced, and I do not think that they would discard a potential success story.

His skill set is top six talent. He isn't a 3rd or 4th line energy guy and that isn't how he should be used.

There are many scorers who are not top-six talent, in that they cannot produce sufficiently to justify them receiving top-six time with an NHL team. These scorers either learn to make themselves valuable on the third or fourth lines in other ways or they end up out of a roster spot. The AHL is rife with such players. Brunnstrom is likely one of them.

I still don't understand how it would be ridiculous of him to say to the Wings:

"Hey, I'm not playing a lot here with the big club. It would be beneficial to us both if I was sent down so I don't lose my timing, stamina, and legs while waiting for my opportunity. While down in the minors I can prove to you I do work hard in games and will continue to improve my all around game to fit in better in the NHL. So can you please send me down so I can play?"

Oh, I thought you meant that he should demand playing time in the NHL. Your point makes far more sense now that I understand it.

There is no point of having Bruno just sitting on the sideline doing nothing. It doesn't do the Wings any good and it doesn't do him any good.

Agreed.

Edited by Crymson

Meh. Towards the end of the PS, and in his only game against Washington, I didn't like what I saw. He was soft, he was falling down a lot, and he wasn't contributing anything.

I really hope he clears purely because GR need help big time, but if he does get claimed (which I doubt), while it'll be disappointing, nothing worth getting upset over.

Meh. Towards the end of the PS, and in his only game against Washington, I didn't like what I saw. He was soft, he was falling down a lot, and he wasn't contributing anything.

I really hope he clears purely because GR need help big time, but if he does get claimed (which I doubt), while it'll be disappointing, nothing worth getting upset over.

theyll need him down there Aus to replace Nyquist who will be coming the other way, and he will stay.

Guest blueadams

i think it's pretty obvious that they waived him to call up gustav nyquist...and play him every night.

just my 0.02

Not a surprising move at all... Now that Commodore is off of IR, the Red Wings don't have an open roster spot. Back in 07/08, Holland did the same thing with Aaron Downey/Matt Ellis. Whenever everyone was healthy Holland would throw Downey on waivers because if he cleared it meant that for 30 days he could be sent to GR in case we needed to recall a player for a short term injury or other cause (IE Recalling MacDonald to backup Conklin for the Jackets game so Howard could be at the birth of his first child...). Obviously he chose to waive Brunnstrum because he hasn't fit into the line-up much and has a low risk of being taken due to his previous failures at the NHL level and because he WILL NOT have to be subjected to re-entry waivers since he didn't play much at the NHL level last year. Plus they want Brunnstrom to get some playing time, which he can get in GR. It's a risk, but an inevitable one. Barring a trade or another injury one of either Brunnstrom or Emmerton would have to be waived when Mursak comes off IR anyway, and due to his good play, potential and age, Emmerton would most likely be claimed.

Guest blueadams

Not a surprising move at all... Now that Commodore is off of IR, the Red Wings don't have an open roster spot. Back in 07/08, Holland did the same thing with Aaron Downey/Matt Ellis. Whenever everyone was healthy Holland would throw Downey on waivers because if he cleared it meant that for 30 days he could be sent to GR in case we needed to recall a player for a short term injury or other cause (IE Recalling MacDonald to backup Conklin for the Jackets game so Howard could be at the birth of his first child...). Obviously he chose to waive Brunnstrum because he hasn't fit into the line-up much and has a low risk of being taken due to his previous failures at the NHL level and because he WILL NOT have to be subjected to re-entry waivers since he didn't play much at the NHL level last year. Plus they want Brunnstrom to get some playing time, which he can get in GR. It's a risk, but an inevitable one. Barring a trade or another injury one of either Brunnstrom or Emmerton would have to be waived when Mursak comes off IR anyway, and due to his good play, potential and age, Emmerton would most likely be claimed.

it's a shame that such a long post had to be so factually incorrect.

commie's already on the roster. he was hurt, but he was never on IR. this move creates a roster spot for gustav nyquist (most likely).

there's a 23 man roster limit.

right now we've got 22 men on the roster.

count it if you want.

This isn't true is it? Brunnstrom still has to clear re-entry waivers.

it's a shame that such a long post had to be so factually incorrect.

commie's already on the roster. he was hurt, but he was never on IR. this move creates a roster spot for gustav nyquist (most likely).

there's a 23 man roster limit.

right now we've got 22 men on the roster.

count it if you want.

It's a shame that people that base their NHL knowledge on what they're allowed to do in NHL12 are allowed to post here.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/10/red_wings_recall_brendan_smith_1.html

"This enables Smith to serve two more games of his five-game suspension (Thursday and Saturday) while Mike Commodore remains on short-term injured reserve.

Somebody email Ansar Kahn and tell him hes wrong, or call Bettman and tell him that Holland snuck a 24th man on the team.

No, I don't need to count it, I'm educated. Having the ability to throw one of the 23 men down to GR allows them to recall nyquist if they want, or any other play to sit in for one or two games because they have short term injuries, or to recall McDonald if Conklin/Howard need a game off for some reason.

Maybe I should've posted that it was my opinion, but I really don't see what's incorrect...

This isn't true is it? Brunnstrom still has to clear re-entry waivers.

I may be wrong, but I don't think he has to for 2 reasons:

-He has a 2-way deal that pays him $105k at the AHL level. Anything over that number constitutes re-entry.

-He hasn't played more than 80 combined NHL games in the past 2 seasons, or more than 40 in the past season.

Yea, but why risk losing him unless we plan on pulling someone else up full time until her earns a spot, like Connor or someone. Otherwise I don't understand why we would only leave 1 extra forward?

Except we signed him for this exact purpose.

He won't make it to GR IMO. He had a good preseason and I think he might have gotten tired of not playing at all.

He had a good first couple of games then trailed off. Hopefully this is a prelude to Nyquist going the roster. i'd rather have Nyquist at this point than Hudler or Brunnstrom or anyone not named Helm in the bottom six.

The Wings have a habit of putting skilled players on the 4th line, and expecting them to pull rabbits out of their ass. I'm sure eva will agree with me there.

The 4th line is for grinders and fighters, not for a skilled player who should either play on the top 6, or not be in the lineup.

So, waiving Brunnstrom allows Commodore to return to the roster AND keep Smith here to serve more of his suspension, then when Smith gets sent back down, it opens a roster spot to promote a Griffin (with waiver exemptions) until Mursak returns from injury, thus when the time comes, nobody needs to get waived. Makes sense to me. Waive Brunnstrom now before he has had a chance to impress other GM's around the league, so it is less apt that he will be claimed rather than let him play here and get better and risk losing him for sure when Mursak comes back. I like the move. If he gets claimed now, that's the risk, but it would be riskier to waive him in December if he has 10-15 points. +1,000,000 to Holland.

Asked if he hopes another team picks him up, Brunnstrom was emphatic: "No, absolutely not. I want to be a Red Wing. I'd rather play in the minors than go to another team. I want to stay here."

http://www.freep.com/article/20111030/SPORTS05/110300543/1053/sports05

Guest blueadams

It's a shame that people that base their NHL knowledge on what they're allowed to do in NHL12 are allowed to post here.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/10/red_wings_recall_brendan_smith_1.html

"This enables Smith to serve two more games of his five-game suspension (Thursday and Saturday) while Mike Commodore remains on short-term injured reserve.

Somebody email Ansar Kahn and tell him hes wrong, or call Bettman and tell him that Holland snuck a 24th man on the team.

No, I don't need to count it, I'm educated. Having the ability to throw one of the 23 men down to GR allows them to recall nyquist if they want, or any other play to sit in for one or two games because they have short term injuries, or to recall McDonald if Conklin/Howard need a game off for some reason.

Maybe I should've posted that it was my opinion, but I really don't see what's incorrect...

My apologies. I forgot about the whole Brendan Smith suspension-scam. Still though, now that he's back in Grand Rapids, Commie is on the roster, and there's still one roster spot available for Gustav Nyquist.