• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

This isn't true is it? Brunnstrom still has to clear re-entry waivers.

I may be wrong, but I don't think he has to for 2 reasons:

-He has a 2-way deal that pays him $105k at the AHL level. Anything over that number constitutes re-entry.
-He hasn't played more than 80 combined NHL games in the past 2 seasons, or more than 40 in the past season.

#42 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

Yea, but why risk losing him unless we plan on pulling someone else up full time until her earns a spot, like Connor or someone. Otherwise I don't understand why we would only leave 1 extra forward?

Except we signed him for this exact purpose.

He won't make it to GR IMO. He had a good preseason and I think he might have gotten tired of not playing at all.

He had a good first couple of games then trailed off. Hopefully this is a prelude to Nyquist going the roster. i'd rather have Nyquist at this point than Hudler or Brunnstrom or anyone not named Helm in the bottom six.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#43 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:10 AM

The Wings have a habit of putting skilled players on the 4th line, and expecting them to pull rabbits out of their ass. I'm sure eva will agree with me there.

The 4th line is for grinders and fighters, not for a skilled player who should either play on the top 6, or not be in the lineup.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#44 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

So, waiving Brunnstrom allows Commodore to return to the roster AND keep Smith here to serve more of his suspension, then when Smith gets sent back down, it opens a roster spot to promote a Griffin (with waiver exemptions) until Mursak returns from injury, thus when the time comes, nobody needs to get waived. Makes sense to me. Waive Brunnstrom now before he has had a chance to impress other GM's around the league, so it is less apt that he will be claimed rather than let him play here and get better and risk losing him for sure when Mursak comes back. I like the move. If he gets claimed now, that's the risk, but it would be riskier to waive him in December if he has 10-15 points. +1,000,000 to Holland.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#45 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

This isn't true is it? Brunnstrom still has to clear re-entry waivers.

He does not have to clear re-entry waivers due to his two-way contract. Re-entry waivers are only for players making over a $105,000 in the AHL.

#46 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

Asked if he hopes another team picks him up, Brunnstrom was emphatic: "No, absolutely not. I want to be a Red Wing. I'd rather play in the minors than go to another team. I want to stay here."

http://www.freep.com...3/1053/sports05

#47 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

he should have played in place of one of our top six who isnt producing, at least give him a chance..

#48 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

It's a shame that people that base their NHL knowledge on what they're allowed to do in NHL12 are allowed to post here.

http://www.mlive.com...an_smith_1.html

"This enables Smith to serve two more games of his five-game suspension (Thursday and Saturday) while Mike Commodore remains on short-term injured reserve.

Somebody email Ansar Kahn and tell him hes wrong, or call Bettman and tell him that Holland snuck a 24th man on the team.

No, I don't need to count it, I'm educated. Having the ability to throw one of the 23 men down to GR allows them to recall nyquist if they want, or any other play to sit in for one or two games because they have short term injuries, or to recall McDonald if Conklin/Howard need a game off for some reason.

Maybe I should've posted that it was my opinion, but I really don't see what's incorrect...

My apologies. I forgot about the whole Brendan Smith suspension-scam. Still though, now that he's back in Grand Rapids, Commie is on the roster, and there's still one roster spot available for Gustav Nyquist.

#49 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

I'm anxious to see Nyquist, but let's not put all our hopes into this kid. New guys will start at the bottom 6, and the games aren't going to be won in the bottom six most of the time.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#50 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

We won't know if he clears until tomorrow, right?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#51 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

We won't know if he clears until tomorrow, right?

Tomorrow twelve o'clock high.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#52 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

I like his attitude that he doesn't want to get picked up by another team, that he'd rather play in GR than anywhere else, because he wants to be here. I hope he gets his wish and stays.
Posted Image

#53 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

Approaching an hour until 12 and I havn't heard anything yet, I'm hoping this is a good thing. Do they announce his pick up immediatley or wait until 12? (if he gets picked up)
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#54 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:52 AM

I like his attitude that he doesn't want to get picked up by another team, that he'd rather play in GR than anywhere else, because he wants to be here. I hope he gets his wish and stays.

Yeah, it's a great attitude to see. Usually being forced into the minors is the one thing that turns players against the Wings.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#55 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:52 AM

Usually hits twitter pretty quick if it happens.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#56 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

Woot Woot, 12 and I havn't heard of anyone picking him up. Hopefully my wooting is premature...

#57 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

I keep checking and haven't seen anything yet and usually would have heard by now. Hopefully he remains a Wing.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#58 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:12 AM

as per @TSNBobMckenzie Brunnstrom has cleared waivers
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#59 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

he should have played in place of one of our top six who isnt producing, at least give him a chance..

I would have liked to see Babcock let Cleary sit and heal that upper body injury while Barnstorm skates on the Pavels wing to see what he can do. In hindsight, it couldn't have hurt anything.

#60 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

I would have liked to see Babcock let Cleary sit and heal that upper body injury while Barnstorm skates on the Pavels wing to see what he can do. In hindsight, it couldn't have hurt anything.

I second this, I was more then just a little disappointed at the lack of a shot he recieved when he got here. I thought having him on Z's one wing and Mule on the other would have been a stellar line 2...Or like you said, with Dats on 1.