• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
edicius

Kronwall signed to seven-year deal

Rate this topic

How does Kenny sign Kronner for so cheap yet Ericsson gets so overpaid. I don't understand. :blink:

It's as I've said before; size has value. If White and Ericsson have the exact same season in all aspects, Ericsson is worth much more because he's bigger, even if his size advantage isn't actually utilized.

If Kronwall were 6-5 instead of 5-10, he probably has a cap hit of $6m for 7 years. Even if he played the exact same game with the exact same hits.

That aside, this deal is an absolute steal. Kronwall is worth $6m minimum based on other deals. One of the 15 best defensemen in the league.

How does Kenny sign Kronner for so cheap yet Ericsson gets so overpaid. I don't understand. :blink:

This, seriously. I honestly have no idea what convinced anyone in the front office that Ericsson was worth half that contract. Even more mind bending is the fact that Kronwall probably gets the same contract on the open market, plus at least 1.5 more annually. A Datsyukian deke to the open market by Holland.

Edited by achildr1

Great signing!

Maybe the conversation went something like this...

Before Kronwall had even sat down, a stammering Holland broke into an endless array of apologies, "I'm really sorry Nik, I don't know what I was thinking when we gave Ericsson a higher cap hit than you this season...maybe I drank too much that day...But I'm truly sorry, we all know how much you mean to this team and...I apologize that...

Kronwall interrupted reassuringly, "Look, Kenny...that's OK. E's got a ton of potential."

"Oh yeah, for sure," muttered Holland, a tad wryly.

"Let's just get this deal done. A fair one for both sides. I'll let my agent know not to give you a hard time because of the Eri...well, other deals made this past summer."

"Thanks, Nik. We'll keep you in Detroit for a long time. Play hard against Washington today. It's gonna be a tight game."

"Definitely, Kenny. See ya".

A few days later, after some back-and-forth negotiating with J.P. Barry, Kronwall's agent, Holland sends a formal offer. Much to Holland's excitement, Kronwall's camp accepts. However, they send it back with a small stipulation: "Jonathan Ericsson must reimburse all of N. Kronwall's mortgage payments until June 1, 2014."

Holland grumbled, "Uh, oh...I can't wait to hear from Bettman about this."

I'm not jumping up and down about the contract, but I'm not thinking overpaid either. There are various reasons to think this:

- a lot of people are saying he would get $6M on the open market, but would he? Would he get that over a 7 year deal?

- he's not going to age gracefully like Lidstrom, I feel safe in saying that. He plays a lot more recless, so I'm not sure how he'll hold up over the 7 years.

- the contract takes him to 39 I think, not 38, so the long contract should reduce the otherwise larger expected cap hit

- the fact that he gets a limited NTC should also be factored into the cap hit

I believe the real wildcard with this is where the cap will go in the future. If the cap keeps going up, long term deals will look really good, obviously, but if the cap stays the same, I do think there is some risk in this deal because I do worry about his durability a bit.

Spent a long time over the offseason debating which player to have for my new jersey. Eventually decided to go with Kronner, so I'm super happy to see that I'll be able to wear the jersey for a long time to come.

Unfortunately, I got it before he was announced as being one of the alternate captains, so no A.

I can live with this signing...who am I kidding, I have no say in it, so I have no choice! :lol: Anyhow, this is a far better deal than Ericsson's, at least Kronwall has proven his worth and since he isn't gonna get any better (hopefully not quick decline either) $4.75 is a steal. I say offer Stuart $5M and then go hard after Suter this off season! With a top 4 of Suter/Stuart/Kronwall/White, Lidstrom can finally retire and the impact won't be so bad...

If Commodore plays his role completely and Smith one year older, I am liking this lineup:

Suter - White

Kronwall - Stuart

Commodore - Ericsson

Smith

I can live with this signing...who am I kidding, I have no say in it, so I have no choice! :lol: Anyhow, this is a far better deal than Ericsson's, at least Kronwall has proven his worth and since he isn't gonna get any better (hopefully not quick decline either) $4.75 is a steal. I say offer Stuart $5M and then go hard after Suter this off season! With a top 4 of Suter/Stuart/Kronwall/White, Lidstrom can finally retire and the impact won't be so bad...

If Commodore plays his role completely and Smith one year older, I am liking this lineup:

Suter - White

Kronwall - Stuart

Commodore - Ericsson

Smith

what happens with Kindl?

what happens with Kindl?

Evidently a guy buried in the AHL last year and yet to play a game this season is more valuable than a young prospect that has shown decent upside so far.

As far as Kronwall, I love this deal. Gives the Red Wings some flexibility to still pursue someone like Suter next summer too. Kronner was always one of those players you envisioned playing only with the Red Wings.

Well done, Kenny Holland.

Edited by GoWings1905

Just wow. I can't even get that low of a hit in a video game. Kenny must have some compromising photos.

:g:

I wonder if this exact signing will work in NHL 12 in my "Be A GM Mode"?

I got your back already.

Isn't 51 over 40?

In some circles.