• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
edicius

Kronwall signed to seven-year deal

Rate this topic

I feel like given the huge contracts defensemen have been getting lately this is a good deal for us. Obviously he'll slow down towards the end of the term and won't be worth that cap hit in today's numbers anymore, but seven years is a long time and if the cap keeps going up the relative value of the contract will go down. So I'm really happy about this one.

Spent a long time over the offseason debating which player to have for my new jersey. Eventually decided to go with Kronner, so I'm super happy to see that I'll be able to wear the jersey for a long time to come.

Unfortunately, I got it before he was announced as being one of the alternate captains, so no A.

I got mine before the A as well. We can just use that to point out that we're not bandwagon Kronner fans and have supported him since he was a lowly unlettered fellow. :P

Thanks 55fan!

Don't thank me. I'm old enough to be his mother, live a thousand miles away, and have never met him (not that the last part would prevent us from dating).

I adore him, but I'm glad he has someone in his life who truly loves him. My bf would be glad too if he only knew. :devil:

what happens with Kindl?

Kindl is collateral damage. He is traded. How many goals have the Wings given up the last four? If that doesnt change, then change will be needed....

Evidently a guy buried in the AHL last year and yet to play a game this season is more valuable than a young prospect that has shown decent upside so far.

As far as Kronwall, I love this deal. Gives the Red Wings some flexibility to still pursue someone like Suter next summer too. Kronner was always one of those players you envisioned playing only with the Red Wings.

Well done, Kenny Holland.

Apparently Kindl's upside has show alot the last four games. IF that trend continues throughout the year, Kindl becomes very expendable, changes will need to be made. Now if you read, I said if Commie does his job and earns a re-sign, but if he doesnt then Kindl can stay. If Commie makes an impact, I choose him over Kindl.

Great signing by the Wings!! I'm so glad we are keeping Kronwall, he is a great D-Man and will be a huge foundation player on Defense for the Wings when Liddy goes. Glad to see the Wings kept it under $5 Mill, not that he isn't worth it but it will give us plenty of room for next off-season and getting some quality players from Free Agency. Nice work Kenny and the Wings!!

Why do so many people think this deal is a "steal"? I didn't think that at all when I saw and I did a little more digging to see how it compares to the others. A lot of people have been saying they thought he'd get $5-6M, but I look at it as a guy that is signed through to the age of 39, he has had some injuries and he plays a style that tends to lead to injuries. I agree that he probably would have gotten more on the open market, but he wasn't signed in the open market. Here is a list of all of the dmen in the league that make $5M+ (a lot of the guys making that money were signed in the open market)

Player, age at end of contract, average points over last 4 years.

Visnovsky, 38, 46

Chara, 41, 47

Bouwmeester, 30, 33 - overpaid, was way overhyped, good player, but not to the level of hype

Seabrook, 31, 34

Keith, 36, 48

Wisniewski, 33, 41

Lidstrom, 42, 60

Campbell, 36, 42 - everyone knows his deal was stupid

Doughty, 29, 42

Markov, 35, 51

Weber, 26, 41

Gonchar, 39, 40 - Ottawa was desperate for a powerplay quarterback

Timonen, 38, 41

Yandle, 29, 43

Rozival, 33, 28

Martin, 34, 25 - looks overpaid, but signed on open market when not a lot of good dmen were available

Boyle, 37, 48 - everyone knows his deal was stupid

Phaneuf, 29, 42

Green, 26, 57

Byfuglien, 30, 39

By comparison, Kronwall's contract ends at the age of 39 and he's averaged 36 pts. I know a lot of people will argue that some of the best defensemen don't score a lot of points, which is true, but when it comes to getting paid a lot of money, you tend to need that part of the game as well.

So, based on that list, the only guys making more than $5M and signed to the age of 39 are Chara, Lidstrom and Gonchar. A lot of the players on the list were signed on the open market as well. Kronwall's salary should be a little lower because he wasn't a UFA and he signed a long-term deal to the age of 39...he had to take a bit of a discount to get that type of security.

So, I think it is a pretty fair deal, still some risk, but I don't see it as this great steal like a lot of others.

Kindl is collateral damage. He is traded. How many goals have the Wings given up the last four? If that doesnt change, then change will be needed....

Apparently Kindl's upside has show alot the last four games. IF that trend continues throughout the year, Kindl becomes very expendable, changes will need to be made. Now if you read, I said if Commie does his job and earns a re-sign, but if he doesnt then Kindl can stay. If Commie makes an impact, I choose him over Kindl.

Question.

You want to bring in Smith because he's younger than Kindl, right? So why do you want to dump Kindl when he's been outplaying the more expensive Ericsson, despite being three years younger? Smith is much smaller than Kindl, not as good defensively as Kindl was at that age (and there's a much larger gap now) and really only has speed as an advantage. Smith over Ericsson maybe. Smith over Kindl? Not next year, unless something significantly changes from now until then.

Why do so many people think this deal is a "steal"? I didn't think that at all when I saw and I did a little more digging to see how it compares to the others. A lot of people have been saying they thought he'd get $5-6M, but I look at it as a guy that is signed through to the age of 39, he has had some injuries and he plays a style that tends to lead to injuries. I agree that he probably would have gotten more on the open market, but he wasn't signed in the open market. Here is a list of all of the dmen in the league that make $5M+ (a lot of the guys making that money were signed in the open market)

Player, age at end of contract, average points over last 4 years.

Visnovsky, 38, 46

Chara, 41, 47

Bouwmeester, 30, 33 - overpaid, was way overhyped, good player, but not to the level of hype

Seabrook, 31, 34

Keith, 36, 48

Wisniewski, 33, 41

Lidstrom, 42, 60

Campbell, 36, 42 - everyone knows his deal was stupid

Doughty, 29, 42

Markov, 35, 51

Weber, 26, 41

Gonchar, 39, 40 - Ottawa was desperate for a powerplay quarterback

Timonen, 38, 41

Yandle, 29, 43

Rozival, 33, 28

Martin, 34, 25 - looks overpaid, but signed on open market when not a lot of good dmen were available

Boyle, 37, 48 - everyone knows his deal was stupid

Phaneuf, 29, 42

Green, 26, 57

Byfuglien, 30, 39

By comparison, Kronwall's contract ends at the age of 39 and he's averaged 36 pts. I know a lot of people will argue that some of the best defensemen don't score a lot of points, which is true, but when it comes to getting paid a lot of money, you tend to need that part of the game as well.

So, based on that list, the only guys making more than $5M and signed to the age of 39 are Chara, Lidstrom and Gonchar. A lot of the players on the list were signed on the open market as well. Kronwall's salary should be a little lower because he wasn't a UFA and he signed a long-term deal to the age of 39...he had to take a bit of a discount to get that type of security.

So, I think it is a pretty fair deal, still some risk, but I don't see it as this great steal like a lot of others.

You can't just disregard other defensemen around the league and say "only Chara, Lidstrom, and Gonchar count." because that's not the case. Also, all of those defensemen played top-unit PP time. Kronwall plays second unit. when the Wings had Hossa, the second unit was as good as many #1 units. Kronwall scored 51 points. Look at ES scoring for defensemen the past few years; Kronwall is among the leaders most years. And better defensively than most.

Why do so many people think this deal is a "steal"? I didn't think that at all when I saw and I did a little more digging to see how it compares to the others. A lot of people have been saying they thought he'd get $5-6M, but I look at it as a guy that is signed through to the age of 39, he has had some injuries and he plays a style that tends to lead to injuries.

He will be 38 at the end of the contract. And you should also take into consideration the length of the contract and todays value compared to the value to the others on that list when they signed there contracts. Also, those are people that make more than 5 million, where as Kronwall makes less then 5, its a difference there. I agree that its not a big of a steal that some make it out to be, but it's still a very good contract (especially when you look at the length of the contract, sure its risky but not nearly as risky as z:s or franzens contracts for example).

You can't just disregard other defensemen around the league and say "only Chara, Lidstrom, and Gonchar count." because that's not the case. Also, all of those defensemen played top-unit PP time. Kronwall plays second unit. when the Wings had Hossa, the second unit was as good as many #1 units. Kronwall scored 51 points. Look at ES scoring for defensemen the past few years; Kronwall is among the leaders most years. And better defensively than most.

All of that is WAY TOO SUBJECTIVE. Also, some of your arguments are as to why Kronwall might be a better player than some others. As I already stated, being a better player doesn't necessarily mean you'll get paid more. If you are a defensemen that can score a ton, you may be a worse player than someone else, but you'll probably get big money just because you can score (right or wrong). In terms of Kronwall being better defensively than most....pretty subjective no?

Question.

You want to bring in Smith because he's younger than Kindl, right? So why do you want to dump Kindl when he's been outplaying the more expensive Ericsson, despite being three years younger? Smith is much smaller than Kindl, not as good defensively as Kindl was at that age (and there's a much larger gap now) and really only has speed as an advantage. Smith over Ericsson maybe. Smith over Kindl? Not next year, unless something significantly changes from now until then.

I would totally agree, if Kindl were actually outplaying Ericsson. They've been a better pairing than I expected so far this season, but Ericsson has played well and been solid. He's still ahead of Kindl in his development, though Kindl is much more of a bargain and has more potential. Kindl even said himself that Ericsson is telling him what to do out there.

I'm interested to see how much toughnesss Commodore brings, but the best situation for the Wings is probably that Ericsson and Kindl keep stepping up their physical play and hold their spots in the lineup, so we've got two relatively young, big, physical defenseman. Or if Kindl continues to develop and can take Ericsson's spot, then there's the trade option with Smith waiting in the wings.

I haven't seen a ton of Smith but it seems like he has more offensive upside than both E and Kindl, though at the NHL level it's greatly diminished and comes with big liabilities because of his decision making.

He will be 38 at the end of the contract. And you should also take into consideration the length of the contract and todays value compared to the value to the others on that list when they signed there contracts. Also, those are people that make more than 5 million, where as Kronwall makes less then 5, its a difference there. I agree that its not a big of a steal that some make it out to be, but it's still a very good contract (especially when you look at the length of the contract, sure its risky but not nearly as risky as z:s or franzens contracts for example).

You're right, not sure why I thought he was already 31. I know you'd need to take more into account, I was just doing some quick research to see what the rest of the dmen in the league are getting paid.

The reason I thought $4.75M was not a big steal (I do think it's fair, so I don't want to come off as saying he's overpaid) is because there aren't that many dmen getting paid much more than that. I saw a lot of comments from people thinking it was going to be $5-6M or comments like anything under $6M would be awesome. I really didn't understand comments like that because there are only 8 guys making $6M or more and 4 or 5 of those were stupid contracts that shouldn't have happened.

Edited by toby91_ca

Question.

Oh, believe me, I would love to dump Ericsson first, but he has that NTC, so I would have an easier job trading Kindl. But I am assuming that Ericsson would have to approve any trade, if something comes my way that he would approve, then he would go before Kindl. Now all of this doesnt matter if Commie doesnt bounce back.

You're right, not sure why I thought he was already 31. I know you'd need to take more into account, I was just doing some quick research to see what the rest of the dmen in the league are getting paid.

The reason I thought $4.75M was not a big steal (I do think it's fair, so I don't want to come off as saying he's overpaid) is because there aren't that many dmen getting paid much more than that. I saw a lot of comments from people thinking it was going to be $5-6M or comments like anything under $6M would be awesome. I really didn't understand comments like that because there are only 8 guys making $6M or more and 4 or 5 of those were stupid contracts that shouldn't have happened.

Yeah, i agree that it's a fair contract, just wanted to point out that there should be more taken into account :). Good solid deal all around i would say, especially because it shores up the defensive unit for a few more years. Stability and continuity should not be underrated!

depending on the new cba, the wings can now re-sign stuart, a top 6 forward, give helm and abdelkader a raise, and keep lidstrom or replace him with an elite defenseman. based on that i say this is a great deal.

heres potential ufa defensemen http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2012&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2 id say kronwall is top 5 on that list and could've gotten 1-1.5 mil/year more on the open market.

Question.

All this Hudler stuff has messed your head up, you are completely delusional on the bolded part.