• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

Wow! That came out of nowhere! $4.75 mil per year too! That is insane good for a player of his caliber. He could have gotten way more on the open market. Glad to have him back for good.

#42 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

Wow, that is awesome. Proud of Kenny and Kronner. Good deal all around.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#43 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

Awesome. It'll be interesting too see how much it is. He's capable of unbeliavable things but still he's scored over 40 points just once in his career. This contract starts when Kronwall is 31 years old.

He had 51 points in 08-09.

The cap hit is nice but I take it as they are still looking for that one guy to anchor the defenseman once Lidstrom retires. Pretty much a franchise level defenseman and with the cap they are saving I wouldn't doubt if it they find someone.

About this contract I have mixed emotions still. It's an awesome cap hit but Kronwall has only had two seasons in which he played in over 75 games. I guess that might have been why he agreed to this contract. I guess we shall see in 3 or 4 years if his health can hold up over the years.

#44 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

$4.75 is ridiculous! Kenny is a God and Kronwall gave up money.

Nothing but great news for the Red Wings on this one!
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#45 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

He had 51 points in 08-09.

The cap hit is nice but I take it as they are still looking for that one guy to anchor the defenseman once Lidstrom retires. Pretty much a franchise level defenseman and with the cap they are saving I wouldn't doubt if it they find someone.

About this contract I have mixed emotions still. It's an awesome cap hit but Kronwall has only had two seasons in which he played in over 75 games. I guess that might have been why he agreed to this contract. I guess we shall see in 3 or 4 years if his health can hold up over the years.

Agreed. Great signing in terms of cap hit and adding stability to the Wings blueline for the next several years. The only real gamble is Kronwall's health. Hopefully his injury prone years are behind him. All in all, great signing.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 31 October 2011 - 11:43 AM.

#46 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

Just wow. I can't even get that low of a hit in a video game. Kenny must have some compromising photos.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#47 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

How does Kenny sign Kronner for so cheap yet Ericsson gets so overpaid. I don't understand. :blink:

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#48 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

Great deal for Kronner and the Wings. Obviously, I'm excited about this.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#49 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

Surprised he didn't ask for more money, considering how much they paid Butt-Head in the offseason.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#50 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

This thread has turned my day into a 4 hour binge of kronwalling videos
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#51 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

Absolutely stellar!

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#52 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:44 PM

Maybe Kronwall's injury-proneness lowered his cap hit a little? I don't know. Just spitballin' trying to figure out why it's not as big as we thought.

#53 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

don't like the long contracts but great to see nik jr in the future plans at a great cap hit.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#54 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

How does Kenny sign Kronner for so cheap yet Ericsson gets so overpaid. I don't understand. :blink:

It's as I've said before; size has value. If White and Ericsson have the exact same season in all aspects, Ericsson is worth much more because he's bigger, even if his size advantage isn't actually utilized.

If Kronwall were 6-5 instead of 5-10, he probably has a cap hit of $6m for 7 years. Even if he played the exact same game with the exact same hits.

That aside, this deal is an absolute steal. Kronwall is worth $6m minimum based on other deals. One of the 15 best defensemen in the league.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#55 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

This, seriously. I honestly have no idea what convinced anyone in the front office that Ericsson was worth half that contract. Even more mind bending is the fact that Kronwall probably gets the same contract on the open market, plus at least 1.5 more annually. A Datsyukian deke to the open market by Holland.

Edited by achildr1, 31 October 2011 - 01:32 PM.

#56 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

Another great job Ken Holland!
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#57 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

I like the price
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#58 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

My favorite Kronwall hit. (The first one).

#59 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:50 PM

Excellent news. I figured Kronner would be around for a while, and the deal is excellent for the team. Continuing the time honored tradition of taking a reduced salary to play for the best team in hockey.

#60 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

Great signing!

Maybe the conversation went something like this...

Before Kronwall had even sat down, a stammering Holland broke into an endless array of apologies, "I'm really sorry Nik, I don't know what I was thinking when we gave Ericsson a higher cap hit than you this season...maybe I drank too much that day...But I'm truly sorry, we all know how much you mean to this team and...I apologize that...

Kronwall interrupted reassuringly, "Look, Kenny...that's OK. E's got a ton of potential."

"Oh yeah, for sure," muttered Holland, a tad wryly.

"Let's just get this deal done. A fair one for both sides. I'll let my agent know not to give you a hard time because of the Eri...well, other deals made this past summer."

"Thanks, Nik. We'll keep you in Detroit for a long time. Play hard against Washington today. It's gonna be a tight game."

"Definitely, Kenny. See ya".

A few days later, after some back-and-forth negotiating with J.P. Barry, Kronwall's agent, Holland sends a formal offer. Much to Holland's excitement, Kronwall's camp accepts. However, they send it back with a small stipulation: "Jonathan Ericsson must reimburse all of N. Kronwall's mortgage payments until June 1, 2014."

Holland grumbled, "Uh, oh...I can't wait to hear from Bettman about this."