• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

11/1 GDT: Wild 2 at Red Wings 1 (OT)

Rate this topic

It was the 2nd period when the game started getting choppy with penalties which broke up the flow the game. Why do you think Nyquist didn't get much ice time? Because Wings were always on the PK.

...And you expect a lot out of team to score goals and win games while killing penalties. Perhaps a bit unreasonable to expect that... unless, of course, you are playing NHL12 on xBox on easy mode, then I guess it's feasible.

Yes, I expect a lot of the Wings. I expect them to not play with their heads up their asses. What I also expect is that when they're not shorthanded, they score some goals from time to time. I expect their defense in front of the net to be stronger. Jimmy was great tonight, this loss isn't on him. I expect the players to not be sloppy and lethargic looking all the time.

Is it wrong to expect the Red Wings to manage more than one goal a game, irrespective of whether they had one penalty called against them or twenty? We weren't on the PK all damn night.

your welcome. i just see you post on here very often and i will honestly say you are one of the best posters in here. your funny, your insults are just so goddamn hilarious i just sometimes spill my beer after reading them. i dont mean to compliment you too much but after this loss i feel the need to :blush:

oh..and go wings

Well, I appreciate it all the same. A little ego boost never hurt anyone. :)

Well, at least Lidstrom said what he felt about the non-call. Won't change the outcome, but refs blew the play, period.

No, but it means something if someone like Nick is speaking out about it. If it's egregious enough to get his attention, it means something in the milk ain't clean.

I honestly wonder wtf Franzen was thinking when he tried to squeeze in between the Wild player and goalie on that last penalty. They were making calls against your team all night and you want to try to pull that crap.

Hopefully after this game people stat to realize that Bert is one of the players the Wings must/need to get ride of. He adds nothing meaningful to this team and is exhibit A when needing to point out our lack of consistency, lack of defensive responsibility, horrible turnovers, and just straight out heartless play.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

Well, I appreciate it all the same. A little ego boost never hurt anyone. :)

again im sorry i dont need to compliment often. but in fact ive been tryin to tell you for sometime but i just couldnt find the right time. maybe this wasnt the best time to or maybe it was. but in saying that..if there is something that i say that is very bad and deserves insult then i give you full permission to insult me in any way.

heres something to start: i live in canada, i love the toronto blue jays, im a sap when it comes to movies, and i like to walk around naked in my house. there you go. :)

oh..and go wings. win on thursday

Positives:

- Lidstrom

- Jimmy

- I like the new 1st PP set up with Zetterberg on the point.

- Ericsson played pretty well

That’s all I got.

I thought we moved better without the puck on the PP. Too often four guys seem to stand there and stare at the guy with the puck.

Didn't look like an elbow just shoulder.

If anything, it would have been an interference call against Koivu for not playing the puck. Kronwall had every intention to play the puck. Koivu took him out of the play. The referee down low was looking in front of the net. I don't know where the ref up high was looking, but maybe he saw it differently.

In the end, you can't let the game come down to that. The Wings had to put a puck past Harding and they couldn't do it. You aren't going to win many games scoring one goal.

In the end, you can't let the game come down to that. The Wings had to put a puck past Harding and they couldn't do it. You aren't going to win many games scoring one goal.

I certainly agree with the latter statement, but not the former. The score could have been anything -- 1-1, 3-3 -- the game hung in the balance and the referee made the mistake that hurt the Wings. For all of everything else they could have done to that point, they were still in the game, and it was still his missed call that ended it.

Of course I understand that refs blow plays just like players do -- just like Franzen did to bring about the PK -- but I'm not letting Franzen off the hook for that stupid play, so I don't see why I should forgive the refs either.

:ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

.500 thats an F minus where I come from. As of now its watching Jimmy is like watching Barry S on the Lions back in the day, does awesome on a consistent basis and the rest of team end up being a let down..

We suck so so horribly bad right now :(

Guest Shoreline

Lidstrom said he thinks the shoulder to kronwall is a penalty during post game interview, and that its been called on bert multiple times this season so far...say what you want but I agree with nick

Most of us do.

I'm beginning to look at this Wings team as being akin to the 1975 Tigers. The Tigers that year were loaded with all-stars. They had Bill Freehan, Willie Horton, Mickey Lolich, and John Hiller. Add to that core such luminaries as Nate Colbert, Jerry Manuel, Chuck Scrivener, and Bob Molinaro. The Tigers finished something like 57-102 that year, and for several years the Tigers trotted out a whole bunch of players like the later four I just mentioned, and things didn't get better for a long time.

Similarly, the Wings have Pavel, Nick, and sometimes Z. But I think the rest of the squad is just not that good. Not as bad as those Tigers I mentioned, but still nothing special. They were interviewing one of the "young Wings" after the game, and I had no idea who it was - they're all beginning to look alike and sound alike. Do you think Darren McCarty would be quiet in the locker room after this? I doubt it. But we just seem to have a bunch of small, humble, expressionless skill players who don't seem to have enough skill. They just go out there, go through the motions, and get pushed around. Can you imagine Gerard Gallant playing like this?

They are good enough to make the playoffs, but that's about it.

I don't generally agree or even care to listen to JR, but he brought up an interesting point on Versus tonight. Maybe the Red Wings miss a guy like Draper more than we know or expected. While it's still a veteran team, Drapes was always the vocal leader in the room. I'm not making excuses for scoring five goals in five games, but to build on speculation that the team has possibly begun tuning out Babcock, and not having Draper around maybe intensifies any tension that has built.

Clearly this was a tough night. I guess I don't understand why the Red Wings best players can't score goals at all right now. On paper this looks likes one of the deepest forward units in the league. Nyquist hardly got to play thanks to dumb and dumber in stripes, but you are still asking a rookie to spark the top six. It may be time to dangle Filppula (one of our few NHL assets) or Franzen (not sure there is a market for him) for a legitimate sniper/power forward.

Bertuzzi needs to sit. He doesn't bring anything to this team besides boneheaded penalties. I still feel like the Red Wings have the potential to be very good, but boy this is frustrating to watch. I am sick of hearing them say "We just gotta do it." No kidding, guys.

Edited by GoWings1905

I wish everyone on this team had the same fighting spirit as Jimmy Howard. Did you see his reactions after the game, he was ready to explode, I wouldn't want to be near him in the locker room. Half the players on this team look like the game means nothing to them, they should look to Jimmy's reactions and see what passion is.

Fantastic game from Howard tonight, too bad we're giving him no offense to work with.

I don't generally agree or even care to listen to JR, but he brought up an interesting point on Versus tonight. Maybe the Red Wings miss a guy like Draper more than we know or expected. While it's still a veteran team, Drapes was always the vocal leader in the room. I'm not making excuses for scoring five goals in five games, but to build on speculation that maybe the team has begun tuning out Babcock, and not having Draper around maybe intensifies any tension that has built.

Clearly this was a tough night. I guess I don't understand why the Red Wings best players can't score goals at all right now. On paper this looks likes one of the deepest forward units in the league. Nyquist hardly got to play thanks to dumb and dumber in stripes, but you are still asking a rookie to spark the top six. It may be time to dangle Filppula (one of our few NHL assets) or Franzen (not sure there is a market for him) for a legitimate sniper/power forward.

Bertuzzi needs to sit. He doesn't bring anything to this team besides boneheaded penalties. I still feel like the Red Wings have the potential to be very good, but boy this is frustrating to watch. I am sick of hearing them say "We just gotta do it." No kidding, guys.

Say what??? Draper had to be moved on, and the Wings didn't know Mursak was going to injure his ankle, because Jan was there to effectively replace him on that 4th line.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

I wish everyone on this team had the same fighting spirit as Jimmy Howard. Did you see his reactions after the game, he was ready to explode, I wouldn't want to be near him in the locker room. Half the players on this team look like the game means nothing to them, they should look to Jimmy's reactions and see what passion is.

Fantastic game from Howard tonight, too bad we're giving him no offense to work with.

Say what??? Draper had to be moved on, and the Wings didn't know Mursak was going to injure his ankle, because Jan was there to effectively replace him on that 4th line.

I don't disagree with you. Doesn't mean the Wings don't miss Draper for other reasons mentioned.

I don't disagree with you. Doesn't mean the Wings don't miss Draper for other reasons mentioned.

Yes, but you don't give him a 1 year deal just to have inspiration speeches when we have losing streaks. You couldn't keep him around forever.

This. This has nothing to do with the refs or penalties. The fact is the wings came out flat after the first period and only scored one goal. Our defense and goaltending is legit, but we can't put any offense together and something is wrong with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Datsyuk whiffed on a shot today, when has that ever happened?

I didnt get to watch the game cause for some reason my FSDET was messing up on me... Just kinda wondering how nyquist looked?

This is one of the darker moments for sure as a life long wings fan... This team has so much promise and they just cant seem to glue everything together... 72 games left though

LETS TURN IT AROUND AND GET BACK TO OUR WINNING WAYS!!!! Plenty of hockey to play boys!!

Yes, but you don't give him a 1 year deal just to have inspiration speeches when we have losing streaks. You couldn't keep him around forever.

Yup, I agree there as well. It was more of a hypothetical that whether there are unknown issues in the room or not, maybe there is a leadership void at a time like this. It's easy to say the problem is five goals in five games, but the Red Wings look so uninspired right now. Obviously losing isn't fun for them, but this recurring theme of poor efforts and garbage rhetoric after losses is quite worrisome. I get that everyone in there knows what needs to be done to succeed, but none (or very few of them) seem willing to do it on a nighly basis. Something is off besides not putting the puck in the net.

I'm very concerned about Datsyuk...and Zetterberg for that matter. Datsyuk is not his normal self, he's turning the puck over, he had two really good scoring opportunities today, one he whiffed the shot, the other was wide of the net. So sad to see, hopefully he returns to his super human form that was SO fun to watch.

This isn't an OMG panic post, just really hope this is some early season fluke and he returns to form, he is a blast to watch when he is on his game.

What concerns me is that they just don't seem to get it. They seem frustrated, but they don't seem to think there's anything they can do to win except cut down on penalties and wait it out.

I don't think I've heard one player call the team out for ridiculous turnovers or lack of hustle. And the bad passes, has Babcock even addressed that? All I've heard have been "we just have to wait it out" to "we need to practice shooting more in practice." When you make it to the NHL level, does practicing shooting really matter? Shouldn't you know how to do that by now if you're a highly paid top line scorer?

What concerns me is that they just don't seem to get it. They seem frustrated, but they don't seem to think there's anything they can do to win except cut down on penalties and wait it out.

I don't think I've heard one player call the team out for ridiculous turnovers or lack of hustle. And the bad passes, has Babcock even addressed that? All I've heard have been "we just have to wait it out" to "we need to practice shooting more in practice." When you make it to the NHL level, does practicing shooting really matter? Shouldn't you know how to do that by now if you're a highly paid top line scorer?

As for Datsyuk, I see what you mean, he looks a bit different out there, but he's still putting up points, unlike Zetterberg. Everyone just needs to step it up. I actually think the lack of panic may be hurting the team, they appear not to be willing to recognize their faults go deeper than just coming out with more jump in the beginning of a game.

By the way, I missed the game, but no one has mentioned Nyquist at all on the radio or here. How did he do?