• Please log in to reply
555 replies to this topic

#521 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

In the end, you can't let the game come down to that. The Wings had to put a puck past Harding and they couldn't do it. You aren't going to win many games scoring one goal.

This. This has nothing to do with the refs or penalties. The fact is the wings came out flat after the first period and only scored one goal. Our defense and goaltending is legit, but we can't put any offense together and something is wrong with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Datsyuk whiffed on a shot today, when has that ever happened?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#522 GongShow94

GongShow94

Prospect

• 43 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

I didnt get to watch the game cause for some reason my FSDET was messing up on me... Just kinda wondering how nyquist looked?

This is one of the darker moments for sure as a life long wings fan... This team has so much promise and they just cant seem to glue everything together... 72 games left though

LETS TURN IT AROUND AND GET BACK TO OUR WINNING WAYS!!!! Plenty of hockey to play boys!!

#523 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

Yes, but you don't give him a 1 year deal just to have inspiration speeches when we have losing streaks. You couldn't keep him around forever.

Yup, I agree there as well. It was more of a hypothetical that whether there are unknown issues in the room or not, maybe there is a leadership void at a time like this. It's easy to say the problem is five goals in five games, but the Red Wings look so uninspired right now. Obviously losing isn't fun for them, but this recurring theme of poor efforts and garbage rhetoric after losses is quite worrisome. I get that everyone in there knows what needs to be done to succeed, but none (or very few of them) seem willing to do it on a nighly basis. Something is off besides not putting the puck in the net.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#524 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

I'm very concerned about Datsyuk...and Zetterberg for that matter. Datsyuk is not his normal self, he's turning the puck over, he had two really good scoring opportunities today, one he whiffed the shot, the other was wide of the net. So sad to see, hopefully he returns to his super human form that was SO fun to watch.

This isn't an OMG panic post, just really hope this is some early season fluke and he returns to form, he is a blast to watch when he is on his game.

#525 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

What concerns me is that they just don't seem to get it. They seem frustrated, but they don't seem to think there's anything they can do to win except cut down on penalties and wait it out.

I don't think I've heard one player call the team out for ridiculous turnovers or lack of hustle. And the bad passes, has Babcock even addressed that? All I've heard have been "we just have to wait it out" to "we need to practice shooting more in practice." When you make it to the NHL level, does practicing shooting really matter? Shouldn't you know how to do that by now if you're a highly paid top line scorer?

What concerns me is that they just don't seem to get it. They seem frustrated, but they don't seem to think there's anything they can do to win except cut down on penalties and wait it out.

I don't think I've heard one player call the team out for ridiculous turnovers or lack of hustle. And the bad passes, has Babcock even addressed that? All I've heard have been "we just have to wait it out" to "we need to practice shooting more in practice." When you make it to the NHL level, does practicing shooting really matter? Shouldn't you know how to do that by now if you're a highly paid top line scorer?

As for Datsyuk, I see what you mean, he looks a bit different out there, but he's still putting up points, unlike Zetterberg. Everyone just needs to step it up. I actually think the lack of panic may be hurting the team, they appear not to be willing to recognize their faults go deeper than just coming out with more jump in the beginning of a game.

By the way, I missed the game, but no one has mentioned Nyquist at all on the radio or here. How did he do?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#526 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:38 AM

I'm very concerned about Datsyuk...and Zetterberg for that matter. Datsyuk is not his normal self, he's turning the puck over, he had two really good scoring opportunities today, one he whiffed the shot, the other was wide of the net. So sad to see, hopefully he returns to his super human form that was SO fun to watch.

This isn't an OMG panic post, just really hope this is some early season fluke and he returns to form, he is a blast to watch when he is on his game.

I'm a little worried his wrist still has not healed, as he said over the summer it was still bothering him.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#527 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

Re-watching that third period - The Wild were unbelievably outplayed on every single shift that period. They literally had zero quality scoring chances compared to about ten by the Wings and the toeing goal was on a shot from the point with three deflections, two off Wings players.

Frustrating but at least they were playing well, superbly, in fact.

Re-watching that third period - The Wild were unbelievably outplayed on every single shift that period. They literally had zero quality scoring chances compared to about ten by the Wings and the toeing goal was on a shot from the point with three deflections, two off Wings players.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#528 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:02 AM

amongst all the suck on this team Nick Lidstrom remains an absolute boss

Amen to that.

A 41 year old defenseman had more quality scoring chances than most of thef****** forwards.

See how he goes to the net, finds the open spaces, isn't afraid to go the hard areas of the ice AS A FRIGGIN DEFENSEMAN?!

Lidstrom called for the puck on his goal, by the way.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 02 November 2011 - 01:21 AM.

#529 LadyInRed

LadyInRed

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:24 AM

I wish everyone on this team had the same fighting spirit as Jimmy Howard. Did you see his reactions after the game, he was ready to explode, I wouldn't want to be near him in the locker room. Half the players on this team look like the game means nothing to them, they should look to Jimmy's reactions and see what passion is.

Fantastic game from Howard tonight, too bad we're giving him no offense to work with.

Completely agree with you on that. As strange as it sounds, Howards aggression especially near the end of the game gives me hope, while the rest of the team gives off that "well what can ya do" vibe.

Also on a side note:

again im sorry i dont need to compliment often. but in fact ive been tryin to tell you for sometime but i just couldnt find the right time. maybe this wasnt the best time to or maybe it was. but in saying that..if there is something that i say that is very bad and deserves insult then i give you full permission to insult me in any way.
heres something to start: i live in canada, i love the toronto blue jays, im a sap when it comes to movies, and i like to walk around naked in my house. there you go. :)

oh..and go wings. win on thursday

Is it just me or does this post seem like its been written by a man who has some weird fetish of being verbally abused by women :lol: ...:huh:

#530 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

I'm not going to lie, when we started the season 5-0 I thought there was no chance in hell we would sniff a .500 record all season, boy was I wrong.

I didn't get to watch the game but when I saw the Nyquist-Franzen-bertuzzi line I cringed. I don't know how they played buy I don't ever see that line working well maybe when Nyquist has experienced but to have a rookie finding his way with two guys not known to hustle??? Really?

We need to start sitting guys down, bertuzzi, cleary, and Hudler. I understand why Franzen is at center, but I hate it. I don't know what to do with these lines until a player or two steps up, so I won't even bother. When Zetterberg (whose supposed to be our next captain) isn't leading the team and throwing them on his back, who needs to. Your grit and depth forwards which currently consist of Hudler, Cleary,
Holmstrom, Bertuzzi. They don't have any explosive traits to them at all... Cleary in flashes but that's about it. You need your guys who are going to throw the big hits, grind the hell out of the other team, and yes take runs at guys (clean runs) but FFS let em know there in a damn hockey game not a public skate. This team needs to grow a spine and get a chip in their shoulder. Especially our bottom 6. Top 6 should be finesse, bottom 6 grind em down. Like Malts, Drapes, and Mac did back in the day. The offense came to them because they forced the other team to make mistakes.

Okay I'm done ranting, just frustrated. I was on a huge high after 5 games, 5 games later in worrying. I know it's early but I bet you NO ONE thought we would b right here after the start we had.

/end rant

#531 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:24 AM

Maybe the Wings deserved some of those calls; but I can I honestly say that was one of the worst games ever called. Babs and Holland (not that they really can) should be calling out for the refs heads in this game.

#532 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:54 AM

#533 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:34 AM

I was planning to watch the whole game, but I went to bed after 1st period, so after all I didn't miss so much. <_<
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#534 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:56 AM

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#535 DRW Dominance

DRW Dominance

Yzerman=God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:04 AM

yep, 1 goal ain't gonna win too many games. bottom lin.

i'm almost wondering now if D & Z haven't been separated because Babcock knows that D isn't 100%. Z is there to solidify the line more.

Datsyuk definitely is not the same player right now.
naked is a state of mind

#536 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:37 AM

I love Holmstrom, but he's no longer effective. He skates as fast as Larry Murphy (present day Larry Murphy, not even NHL prime Larry Murphy) and he's got bricks for hands.

Pull out Homer and put in some young blood. Besides, when he scores anyway it gets called back.

#537 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

Welcome Gus.

Posted Image

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#538 evil204

evil204

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

I love Holmstrom, but he's no longer effective. He skates as fast as Larry Murphy (present day Larry Murphy, not even NHL prime Larry Murphy) and he's got bricks for hands.

Pull out Homer and put in some young blood. Besides, when he scores anyway it gets called back.

You know, I was thinking this too earlier in the season, but I would say he's given us the most consistent effort out of all our forwards. At least he's working hard every single shift.

#539 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Is it just me or does this post seem like its been written by a man who has some weird fetish of being verbally abused by women :lol: ...:huh:

well you got the man part right.. ;)
but as for the abusing part..no...im just saying that Beths insults are just like Tina Turners album released in 1989...that song ..what was it..oh yeah.. "simply the best" :D :D and that it would be an absolute honour to be insulted by someone who has the knowledge, someone who will tell it like it is and not give a hoot aboot it.

oh...and wings rule :)

#540 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

He jumped, so it's really irrelevant.

looking at the slow-mo hd of it it looked like he was still on the ice on contact, therefore the jumping part is irrelevant
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter