25 replies to this topic

#1 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

TSN.ca

New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella was not happy with recent comments made by San Jose Sharks captain Joe Thornton, who called the Rangers "probably the softest team we played against."

(...)

"Yeah it caught me off-guard when it was brought up after the game," Tortorella said, according to the Daily News. "It surprised me, and I've never heard a player say that. Joe's a heck of a player, but here's a player popping off about our team, and Joe hasn't won a G------ thing in this league."

"He could go down as a player, being one of the better players in our league never to win anything. So what he should do is just shut up. It was uncalled for, it was classless, and I've never had it happen like that before."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxzB8fgXeUE

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#2 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

TSN.ca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxzB8fgXeUE

Yeah, Torts :thumbup: Now that's a coach. I hope Thornton never gets his name on the Cup. I'm not sure why he's talking, the Rags beat the Sharks last night. On top of that, i didn't really see Thornton itching to fight anyone, so I'm not sure where he gets the "soft" part from. Had he really been looking to unglue his gloves from his hands, he had no excuse for not finding anyone with guys like Prust, Dubinsky, Deveaux, Boyle, and Sauer in the Rangers lineup. I hope he gets traded to the Eastern Conference somehow. Classless piece of s***.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#3 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

Yeah, Torts :thumbup: Now that's a coach. I hope Thornton never gets his name on the Cup. I'm not sure why he's talking, the Rags beat the Sharks last night. On top of that, i didn't really see Thornton itching to fight anyone, so I'm not sure where he gets the "soft" part from. Had he really been looking to unglue his gloves from his hands, he had no excuse for not finding anyone with guys like Prust, Dubinsky, Deveaux, Boyle, and Sauer in the Rangers lineup. I hope he gets traded to the Eastern Conference somehow. Classless piece of s***.

He's not as classless as he is a giant ******.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#4 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

sure he didn't mean the wings?
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#5 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

This is partially why Thornton wore out his welcome in Boston. He should probably shut the hell up until he actually wins a cup and can consistently show up for the playoffs in clutch times when his team needs him.

Edited by Shoreline, 01 November 2011 - 07:00 PM.

#6 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

I hate everything about San Jose.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#7 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

Torts is pretty much just as classless though.

#8 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

Torts is pretty much just as classless though.

thats the bigger point here IMO. while we all know joe is a ******, lets be honest here, he is 1000 more relevant in hockey than john freaking tortorella! joe thornton is one of the best players of his generation regardless of his lack of playoff success. tortorella is a coach. i could give a s*** what he has to say. he had one good year as a coach. in his other 8 years as coach, his teams have won 1 playoff series. its not as if his teams are exactly playoff beasts. i am sure joe has more playoff wins as a player than torts does as a coach. (too lazy to verify though)

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#9 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

thats the bigger point here IMO. while we all know joe is a ******, lets be honest is one of the best players of his generation regardless of his lack of playoff success. tortorella is a coach. i could give a s*** what he has to say. he had one good year as a coach. in his other 8 years as coach, his teams have won 1 playoff series. its not as if his teams are exactly playoff beasts. i am sure joe has more playoff wins as a player than torts does as a coach. (too lazy to verify though)

KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#10 Kindl Surprise

Kindl Surprise

Rookie

• Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

Hahaha I love Torts

#11 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:25 PM

thats the bigger point here IMO. while we all know joe is a ******, lets be honest here, he is 1000 more relevant in hockey than john freaking tortorella! joe thornton is one of the best players of his generation regardless of his lack of playoff success. tortorella is a coach. i could give a s*** what he has to say. he had one good year as a coach. in his other 8 years as coach, his teams have won 1 playoff series. its not as if his teams are exactly playoff beasts. i am sure joe has more playoff wins as a player than torts does as a coach. (too lazy to verify though)

All that spinning though can't award loudmouth Joe the Cup, and that's the one thing Torts has which Joe doesn't. So no matter what, Torts has bragging rights. You guys are right though about both being bigmouths -- certainly not in defense of Torts at all.

#12 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

At the end of the day Tortorella has his name on the Stanley Cup and Joe does not. The only thing I have seen Joe win is an Olympic Gold that Canada would have won regardless if he was there or not.

Edited by superstarsingh, 01 November 2011 - 09:27 PM.

#13 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

here, he is 1000 more relevant in hockey than john freaking tortorella! Wow..didn't someone post all the trophies Joe has won. Oh there are sooo many.it's just my opinion but I would take Torts b4 a lot of the idiots in this league

#14 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

Does Thornton really have the right to call anyone soft?

#15 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

Does Joe have the right to call anyone soft?

#16 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

Does Joe have the right to call anyone soft?

o.O

#17 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

I hate everything about San Jose.

They are to the last few years what the Avs were to the 1990s. Every decade needs a villain.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#18 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

last i checked kids dream of raising the cup as a player not a coach. sure torts has his name on the cup, but so does harry boyd who was a scout for the islanders in the 80s... does that make him also more credible in the hockey world than a guy with 1000 points?

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#19 SiLkK19

SiLkK19

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:32 AM

Tin man Joe is a peice of s***. No heart.

#20 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:52 AM

Maybe Torts needs another Stanley Cup ring so he won't be able to hear Joe.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James