• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

He needed help getting off the ice after the elbow from Koivu (the one that ultimately led to the game losing goal) and it has me a bit concerned... losing him to a concussion for any period of time right now, is the absolute last thing we need...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#2 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:41 AM

Wouldn't we have heard something by now if he was concussed?

And just quietly, he's actually been playing this season like he has a bit of the ol' concussion...

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#3 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

It wasn't an elbow.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#4 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

It wasn't an elbow.

Is there video? I missed the game last night.

Not that it matters whether it was an elbow or not in terms of whether we should worry about him.

#5 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

And just quietly, he's actually been playing this season like he has a bit of the ol' concussion...

It wasn't an elbow.

stole my responses. good work.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#6 swedishconnection

swedishconnection

Conn Smythe - as predicted since 2006

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

It wasn't an elbow.

Okay so technically it was the elbow pad. Otherwise I am not sure what you were watching. You dont fall over and need help up after a chest to back hit.

That dazed look in his eye wasnt from his hurt pride. It was from the knock he took on the chin.
Mickey is one of the only colour commentators I've heard that gets angry when his team gets a powerplay as a result of a crap call from an official.

-Hockeytown0001

#7 redwingmachine

redwingmachine

3rd Line Checker

• Gold Booster
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

From NHL.com with video. :ranting:

Link

#8 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

here it is right at the start of the video
its the best i can find

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24, 02 November 2011 - 09:37 AM.

#9 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:16 AM

That angle sucks, there was a much better one. I remember thinking it was an elbow, then on the reverse angle you can see it wasn't really. I think something hit his head though and it sure looks like Koivu gets the elbow up, just not sure if there was contact with the elbow or not.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#10 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

Here is a better angle. I don't think it's suspension worthy, but there is no doubt Koivu knew what he was doing. He played the man before the puck, the same thing Bert got called on a few games ago that they let slide on more than one occasion in this game. Immediately prior to the Miller penalty was one, there was another one I remember that was identical to Bert's the other game too. Koivu wasn't protecting the puck, he crouches down and jumps up into the hit with his back, leaving his feet. How many times do you see a player leave his feet while protecting the puck they haven't begun to play yet?

Edited by rrasco, 02 November 2011 - 10:31 AM.

#11 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

He needed help getting off the ice after the elbowshoulder/back hit from Koivu (the one that ultimately led to the game losing goal) and it has me a bit concerned... losing him to a concussion for any period of time right now, is the absolute last thing we need...

Fixed

That angle sucks, there was a much better one. I remember thinking it was an elbow, then on the reverse angle you can see it wasn't really. I think something hit his head though and it sure looks like Koivu gets the elbow up, just not sure if there was contact with the elbow or not.

It wasn't his elbow that got Kronwall. What got him was the back of his shoulder, what made it look like his elbow got him was the follow up. Look at TSN's highlights of the game.

#12 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

It wasn't his elbow that got Kronwall. What got him was the back of his shoulder, what made it look like his elbow got him was the follow up. Look at TSN's highlights of the game.

Agreed. No elbow. A reckless play in my opinion b/c Koivu left his feet and knew exactly what he was doing, but who gives a s*** what I think.

#13 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

Fixed

Agreed.

The jump made it look worse but honestly this is the same kind of hit Datsyuk used to do. He's sense someone coming to hit him, so he'd put on the brakes an initiate contact, often catching them by surprised. Kronwall definitely got surprised.

And what the hell was Zetterberg doing there? I can't remember, was he at the end of shift or something? because that's awful defense, especially from him.

#14 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,965 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

Crosby has a concussion and the Pens are doing just fine.

We'll just have to tough it out without him, if there is an injury. Call up Smith or dress Commodore.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#15 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

I don't think Smith can play yet, I believe he still has two games to serve.

#16 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

Agreed.

The jump made it look worse but honestly this is the same kind of hit Datsyuk used to do. He's sense someone coming to hit him, so he'd put on the brakes an initiate contact, often catching them by surprised. Kronwall definitely got surprised.

And what the hell was Zetterberg doing there? I can't remember, was he at the end of shift or something? because that's awful defense, especially from him.

Z was in no mans land. He was going to get burned no matter what he did. He could of stayed between Koivu and Setoguchi and taken away that passing lane but even them it looked like the defensmen was moving up. Koivu would've just past to him instead of Setoguchi.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 02 November 2011 - 11:02 AM.

#17 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

I didn't think it was an elbow. I also don't have a problem with a player sensing another player behind him and initiating contact before he is hit. What I didn't like about the play was:

1. I thought Koivu initiated contact early
2. Shoulder or not the principle point of contact was Kronwall's head; and,
3. if you look at the ref by the net he is yelling at the players in front of the net instead of watching the puck (which for the low referee is his job).
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#18 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

Z was in no mans land. He was going to get burned no matter what he did. He could of stayed between Koivu and Setoguchi and taken away that passing lane but even them it looked like the defensmen was moving up. Koivu would've just past to him instead of Setoguchi.

Yeah, it was mainly the move where he put his stick on the ice and knelt down. That looked like the move of a guy who's out of gas, because Koivu was in way too good of a scoring position for that to ever be a good idea.

#19 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

I didn't think it was an elbow. I also don't have a problem with a player sensing another player behind him and initiating contact before he is hit. What I didn't like about the play was:

1. I thought Koivu initiated contact early
2. Shoulder or not the principle point of contact was Kronwall's head; and,
3. if you look at the ref by the net he is yelling at the players in front of the net instead of watching the puck (which for the low referee is his job).

I see no problem whatsoever with what Koivu did. In response to your problems:

1. Contact wasn't early, in fact, Kronwall got a light tap on Koivu with his stick (too light to call it a slash)
2. I'm not sure how you can use the principle point of contact argument here when he wasn't even looking in that direction
3. Maybe you right here, the ref was definately preoccupied with what was going on in front of the net, but even if he was following the puck, I think it would be highly unlikely that he would have called a penalty. The back ref probably saw it and didn't have a problem with it. Not sure who is responsible for what, I don't ref, but I would have though that the back ref would follow the puck and the ref down low would focus on the net area.

#20 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

I see no problem whatsoever with what Koivu did. In response to your problems:

1. Contact wasn't early, in fact, Kronwall got a light tap on Koivu with his stick (too light to call it a slash)
2. I'm not sure how you can use the principle point of contact argument here when he wasn't even looking in that direction
3. Maybe you right here, the ref was definately preoccupied with what was going on in front of the net, but even if he was following the puck, I think it would be highly unlikely that he would have called a penalty. The back ref probably saw it and didn't have a problem with it. Not sure who is responsible for what, I don't ref, but I would have though that the back ref would follow the puck and the ref down low would focus on the net area.

While I don't think the hit to the head is suspendable and shouldn't be, the rules don't specifically say the player has to be looking at their target or have any intent to make contact with the head at all. To be suspension worthy, it simply has to be a reckless play where the principal point of contact is the head. The onus is on the hitter, looking or not. Which in that case, could be considered more reckless since Koivu has no idea where the point of contact is going to be. Not to mention he went high on the hit by leaving his feet. He knew that much, that's for sure.