• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave

First 10 Games

Rate this topic

Holy crap, 18 ties. Think if those ties were split based on their W/L ratio. They would have had 11 more wins, putting them ahead of Dallas, and the 2nd seed in the playoffs. History might have been a little different.

Not obviously the OP's point, but still.

Edited by lookalive07

This page says that Vernon won the Conn Smythe without playing a game.

By the way, the so called "Dead Wings" era is often counted to have begun on the 1966-67 season. Wings started that season 5-4-1 too and during the next 17 seasons they made playoffs only twice. We might still be effed.

Edited by P. Marlowe

Maybe a good sign?

1) Started the season 5-0. Last time they did that was 97-98 (Won Cup)

2) 10 games in were 5-4-1. Last time they did that was as you said, 96-97 (Won Cup)

Maybe... just maybe its a sign of good things to come (We got to have something to look forward to)! Seriously though, in about a month from now, we will see teams like the Wings back on top, and the Leafs and Sens and Dallas will be back to their spots. The Wings are in a funk, and it might turn out to be good for them because they have worked so much on their defense lately and its been better, once their offense gets going we will be fine.

Another note, Pavs still has 8 points I believe. While he isn't playing as good as he can, we should remember he typically has slow starts. He usually picks up his game in November... I remember Mick talke about this all the time the year we won the Cup because Pavs didn't have an extremely strong start, but he finished wiht 97 points. So I think he is going to come out on his game starting tomorrow.

What's even more profound is that they went 2-4 their first 6 games...but then again, this team has no Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, Larionov, Konstantinov, Vernon, Osgood, Lapointe, Lidstrom all in their prime... Needless to say this version of the Detroit Red Wings pales in comparison to 1996-97's. All I can do is cross my fingers, tighten my seatbelt and hold on tight hoping they turn this little funk around...

The record isn't the point The point is how they've been playing lackluster halfhearted hockey. Last year they started out with a great record with everyone scoring at will then it seemed like they took their foot off the accelerator to save something for the playoffs and then never got their Mojo back. Sat around for three frikin playoff games while San Jose mopped up the ice with them.

All the skill and talent and systems any team could ever want...

Wasn't it 2007 that they started out dominating with like three guys in the top five for points, assists, plus minus, saves, wins, everything.

Gimme the Wings that came out in the first ten minutes against Minni last night and I'll show you a bonafide Cup Contender. Gimme the Wings of the 2nd and 3rd period of the same game and I'll show the end of a great era in Hockeytown.

Guest Shoreline

This page says that Vernon won the Conn Smythe without playing a game.

By the way, the so called "Dead Wings" era is often counted to have begun on the 1966-67 season. Wings started that season 5-4-1 too and during the next 17 seasons they made playoffs only twice. We might still be effed.

Admittedly what you say is true but all too commonly when the cup seasons are referenced it isn't an inference of "hey everyone, the Wings are on an atrocious losing streak, they're skating on cement blocks, playing like s***, but here's a record from a cup winning season see it's a-ok".

What's inferred is more like "sure just about all of us have high expectations and are gravely disappointed but here's some positive motivation as fans". We're just fans so it doesn't make sense to get pissed off as if you're the coach with their job on the line, or be one of those emo bipolar fans who can't handle a little adversity and want to take your ball home before there's any remotely reasonable cause yet to give up on this team or want to blow it up.

Guest Crymson

What's even more profound is that they went 2-4 their first 6 games...but then again, this team has no Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov, Larionov, Konstantinov, Vernon, Osgood, Lapointe, Lidstrom all in their prime... Needless to say this version of the Detroit Red Wings pales in comparison to 1996-97's. All I can do is cross my fingers, tighten my seatbelt and hold on tight hoping they turn this little funk around...

They won their first three games without Shanahan and lost games 6-10 with him.

Gimme the Wings that came out in the first ten minutes against Minni last night and I'll show you a bonafide Cup Contender.

So you acknowledge that this current roster can get it done if they apply themselves. Good.

Guest Crymson

Way different teams. That 97 team would kick the crap out of this current team.

It could kick the crap out of the '01-'02 and '07-'08 teams also. What's your point? It seems like you and others are looking for reasons to doubt rather than looking for reasons to be hopeful. I don't understand that mindset.

It could kick the crap out of the '01-'02 and '07-'08 teams also. What's your point? It seems like you and others are looking for reasons to doubt rather than looking for reasons to be hopeful. I don't understand that mindset.

IMO that's a real hard topic ...

97 vs 02 is very close IMO. I really wouldn't know who would actually win, all tho I could tell you one thing ... if there's one thing that would clearly make a difference ---> Hasek

Edited by KrazyGangsta

Guest Crymson

Given the propensity of many people on these forums to concentrate on the current softness of the team, I interpreted "kick the crap out of" as being a statement referring to the physical toughness of the team.

Given the propensity of many people on these forums to concentrate on the current softness of the team, I interpreted "kick the crap out of" as being a statement referring to the physical toughness of the team.

Not just toughness but pretty much every aspect of the game. Skill, hart, determination, focus, defensive play, etc.

Referencing to a teams that was 14 years ago doesn't make sense. Now if he referenced let's say the 08 team then I would think about it for a minute.

Gimme the Wings that came out in the first ten minutes against Minni last night and I'll show you a bonafide Cup Contender. Gimme the Wings of the 2nd and 3rd period of the same game and I'll show the end of a great era in Hockeytown.

I acknowledge that these are two very different rosters. That's the unsettling part: You never know which team is going to show up from one half period to the next, over the last several years.

I want more passion, more grit, more foaming at the mouth, less process, less calculation, less cerebral because you cannot turn it on and off like they seem to think they can. Keep it simpler, keep it hungrier.

Babcock says he wants new ideas; well here's a new idea, how bout playing your ******* ass off.

Edited by T.Low

While it's nice that there were times that Red Wings teams of ye olden times had similar or in some cases, worse records than this team currently does, it means nothing. These players are for the most part, not the same players that were on those teams. I don't care that the 96-97 Wings started the season 5-4-1. That team could eat this team for breakfast and then s*** them out later in the day.

It's one thing to say "We're playing poorly now, but we will get better" and another to say "The 1905 Boone's Farm Biscuit Bottoms started the season 0-105 and still won the championship" as if that's a sign we'll do the same.

See, now you have an argument.

IMO though this team has got worse instead of better the past couple of years.

How is that a relevant arguement? That was the stretch where over half our payroll was in bandages and we had to call the kids to drive from shore to shore. This time we are healthy in body, but lacking in heart and courage.

Guest Crymson

While it's nice that there were times that Red Wings teams of ye olden times had similar or in some cases, worse records than this team currently does, it means nothing. These players are for the most part, not the same players that were on those teams. I don't care that the 96-97 Wings started the season 5-4-1. That team could eat this team for breakfast and then s*** them out later in the day.

It's one thing to say "We're playing poorly now, but we will get better" and another to say "The 1905 Boone's Farm Biscuit Bottoms started the season 0-105 and still won the championship" as if that's a sign we'll do the same.

But I've never heard of the Boone's Farm Biscuit Bottoms.

See, now you have an argument.

IMO though this team has got worse instead of better the past couple of years.

I don't know if "worse" is the way I would put it. I'd say they've become stale. All the other teams in the NHL have, for the most part, undergone pretty significant changes. The Wings have the same core, with the same coach, using the same system.

A lot of other teams are playing a puck possession style that Detroit made famous, and, at least at this point in time, they are playing it better than Detroit.