• Please log in to reply
499 replies to this topic

#461 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

There is clearly something very wrong with the Red Wings, but the more I see of this losing streak, the more I believe other teams have figured the Wings out.

The Red Wings are at their best with the puck (a lot) and their ability to get their skilled players in open space to create scoring chances. It seems fairly obvious opponents realize this and are forcing the Red Wings into coughing the puck up by clogging the neutral zone or forcing low percentage shots from the perimeter. It blew my mind tonight how the Red Wings can't/won't dump the puck in and chase it when the Flames sat back with the lead. The only player on the team that is willing to forecheck hard and go after the puck in deep is Helm. Everyone else wants to make fancy passes and skate through five guys at the blueline.

The Wild and Flames were hardly making any attempt to put the pressure on the Red Wings. Take advantage of a couple mistakes and poor calls and let the Wings self-destruct with their inability to do the things that can end a scoring drought. There's too much talent on the Red Wings roster to just say all of them can't score goals now, a mere couple months after a regular season where they were second in the league in offense. They certainly need a legit sniper (or three), but at this time they need to make adjustments and work harder to score some goals.

I don't know what else can be said. They can keep doing what they have done expecting better or decide enough is enough and rally as a team quickly before it gets ugly where the playoffs are in serious jeopardy. There is no quick fix in the minors or via trade this early in the season. Work harder Saturday and turn this thing around.

Losing Rafalski's outstanding passing abilities certainly isn't helping in this department. Again, Ian White was a good pickup any day of the week, but let's be clear about one thing: we absolutely have not replaced Brian Rafalski yet. Not even close.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#462 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

Trade for Rick Nash. Hudler and Flip for him. He needs a change of scenery anyways.

Filppula for Dorsett and a pick.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#463 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

I will be there so they better pull their heads out of their asses or I might just jump down in the bench and light it up for them :ph34r:

:ph34r:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#464 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

......Jagr continues to rack up points.....just sayin...

He and Souray are proving to be good gambles.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#465 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Stevie told me to tell you to "chillax" Posted Image

And make sure it's the picture on the right, not the left!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#466 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

F*CK MIKE ILITCH FOR NOT SELLING PAPA JOHN'S QUALITY PIZZA FOR $5!

#467 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

The Wings have not only become predictable, allowing virtually every team in the league to neutralize us (even in games we win) to a degree, but the players are too cozy with each other. A message needs to be sent. The team doesn't have to be blown up, but being sub-500 ever is unacceptable for this team and this talent.

A new player would also mix up the threat level a bit and throw other teams off. The problem is, there's no one to trade and no one to trade for. Teams aren't selling right now.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#468 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

And make sure it's the picture on the right, not the left!

<--- we could really use these 2 guys right about now.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#469 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

I wish we could get Nash. I was thinking he'd be a good fit and might be what we need, but there's no way we get him from a division rival when we have so little to offer.

What about poaching a superstar from the KHL? Is that an avenue worth pursuing?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#470 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,045 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

So whats the consensus? Do people think a trade will be made, or we'll stay the course and try to right the ship with what we have. Personally I'd just like to see something to spark the team. Make them realize complacency won't be tolerated. But I know we'll just sit out Hudler or Miller and try it again on Saturday.

#NOMOREKINDL

#471 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

I really think we need some kind of mixup. The team looks lost out there. I'm still not worried about playoffs or anything but I wouldn't wait too long to maybe start looking at other options via the trade. If being on the trading block doesn't motivate you, then I don't want you on the team anyways. They will turn it around.

#472 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

So whats the consensus? Do people think a trade will be made, or we'll stay the course and try to right the ship with what we have. Personally I'd just like to see something to spark the team. Make them realize complacency won't be tolerated. But I know we'll just sit out Hudler or Miller and try it again on Saturday.

Obviously, I think it appears some new blood is needed. However, the Red Wings have little or nothing to trade to get that. Filppula is the only NHL asset; we don't even want Franzen so I doubt some other team will.

Hossa scored his 6th goal tonight. That looks like a poorer decision more every day.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#473 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

A trade will be made at some point this season. Even when playing good the team is still lacking something and Holland knows it. But a trade right now is unlikely. No one is selling.

#474 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

Time for a players only meeting and right this ship now. Call one Lids.

#475 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

Losing Rafalski's outstanding passing abilities certainly isn't helping in this department. Again, Ian White was a good pickup any day of the week, but let's be clear about one thing: we absolutely have not replaced Brian Rafalski yet. Not even close.

You wanna be really depressed, imagine what happens if we lose Lidstrom after this year.

#476 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

Franzen is so frustrating....he's either on or off. There is no inbetween for this guy. And unfortunately, he is usually off more often that not. If he isn't going to hustle his ass off and charge the net then all he has going for him is that heavy shot. As we saw tonight, its useless when he constantly misses the net and shoots from 40 feet out. Zetterberg.....what happened to this guy we all know it he has clearly lossed more than a step. It makes me a sad, sad panda knowing the face of our franchise will struggle to hit 25 goals this year....I think its nearly time to consider unloading this guy to a bottom team looking to rebuild and in need of a veteran.

Filipulas still a 40 point guy, Berts still as inconsistent as ever, and who really cares about Hudler. He's relatively cheap and we can always sit him anyways. Not like he will be re signed anyways. Helm seems to have regressed and lost what little scoring touch he had. Abdelkader is usually invisible. Why do we keep this guy here anyways? He doesn't fight, hardly hits (he might be the biggest hitter on this team but thats not saying much).

Soooo we should probally look at trading Zetterberg/Franzen or both

#477 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

Obviously, I think it appears some new blood is needed. However, the Red Wings have little or nothing to trade to get that. Filppula is the only NHL asset; we don't even want Franzen so I doubt some other team will.

Hossa scored his 6th goal tonight. That looks like a poorer decision more every day.

Hindsight is a *****

#478 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

Yeah it is pretty funny how we took Franzen over Hossa :yowza: :yowza: :yowza: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

#479 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

Hindsight is a *****

True, but I always believed Hossa was the right choice long-term for the Red Wings. The bitterness of the 2009 playoffs doesn't change he's a far better player than Franzen.

Edited by GoWings1905, 03 November 2011 - 10:55 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#480 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

It is time we rally. Rally behind OUR TEAM.

Joe's been awfully quiet. Team's been slackin.

WE NEED TO START MANUFACTURING OUR OWN LUCK. WE CANNOT RELY ON THE REFEREES TO CALL ALL THE PENALTIES THAT ACTUALLY HAPPEN.

If you are going to JLA anytime soon, GET LOUD. BEAT THE GLASS. DO SOMETHING!

And if you're jumping off the bandwagon, I'm driving, and I will NOT BE SLOWING DOWN FROM THE 70 MPH SPEED LIMIT.

ONWARD WINGS WE SHALL GO, AND WE SHALL BE VICTOOOOOOORRRRRRRRIOUS!

I really enjoyed this....I asked the score just before I left work and when someone pulled out their iphone and by rubber necking I saw Calgary4 Detroit 1, well I damned near s*** my pants, I cannotf****** believe this is happening to them, too good of a team to be more less blown out every other night....Last from me until I see the game...
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.