• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Thoughts on tonight's game/Season outlook

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

I wonder how you play hockey video games?

Do you pause the game every other shift to change lines?

And Commodore looked better than Kronwall and Stuart tonight. Also, line combos don't matter if half the team has no desire and is full of lazy floaters. There won't be any sudden magic and spark.

Stuart looked extra bad tonight, but if you thought commie looked better than kronner you either didn't watch a very large portion of the game, or you just don't know what you're talking about.

sorry.

Back then we had Hasek and Osgood.

Now we have Howard "The Duck" and Ty Conklin.

And still the fewest goals against in the division.

Not the goaltenders' fault the Wings can't score, although Osgood did score a goal once. . .

Edited by mjlegend

The last time the Wings lost six games in a row was the year they won the Stanley Cup.

82 games equals a long season, which is exactly what teams need to work through funks that inevitably happen to everyone.

But this isn't that team. That team went into a funk in the middle of the year and had tons of injuries. This is just bizarre. How do you win 5 straight to start the season, then lose the next 6? Something broke somewhere along the line and it needs to get fixed. Maybe it was the Washington blowout or losing to Columbus, but something happened at the beginning of this losing streak to knock them off their game. Somebody needs to step up and right the ship.

Luckily it is a long season and there's plenty of games left. It is a little scary because the playoff race is so tight, thanks in part to the loser point. Last season Vancouver was well out front with 117 points (enjoy that Presidents trophy guys! hee hee), but the 2nd place team and the 10th place team were only separated by 11 points. Even worse, the 4th place team and the 9th place team were only separated by 4 points.

Lose a couple games and you can go from 4th place in the Western Conference to missing the playoffs.

And I'm pretty sure that losing streak from the Cup year was when a significant number of players were injured. Lidstrom, Kronwall, Cleary.

Like I said, there's a lot of games left to play, but it's not just the losing, it's that they've looked so bad so much of the time.

That losing streak to which you referred did indeed include a number of major losses. Hasek and Cleary were both out and our defense looked like this:

Lilja/Cheli

Lebda/Meech

Quincey/Stafford

And then Cheli broke his leg during that game. Fortunately, Raffy (I think) came back the next game. We didn't have Stuie at the time, and Raf, Lids, and Kronner were all out.

For some odd reason, we were losing back then for a little bit, but they really did put forth the effort. It was almost like watching kids take on their dads. You knew the dads were going to win, but the little guys showed so much heart that you couldn't help but cheer for them.

Now we have a healthy roster and no reason the puck shouldn't go in the net. I think that once the pucks start going in, they will keep going in. It's almost like there's some sort of seal to be broken before the flood starts.

Edited by 55fan

That losing streak to which you referred did indeed include a number of major losses. Hasek and Cleary were both out and our defense looked like this:

Lilja/Cheli

Lebda/Meech

Quincey/Stafford

And then Cheli broke his leg during that game. Fortunately, Raffy (I think) came back the next game. We didn't have Stuie at the time, and Raf, Lids, and Kronner were all out.

For some odd reason, we were losing back then for a little bit, but they really did put forth the effort. It was almost like watching kids take on their dads. You knew the dads were going to win, but the little guys showed so much heart that you couldn't help but cheer for them.

Now we have a healthy roster and no reason the puck shouldn't go in the net. I think that once the pucks start going in, they will keep going in. It's almost like there's some sort of seal to be broken before the flood starts.

Good god. I had forgotten it was that bad. How did they lose only 7?

And I agree, even during that streak, because of the injuries they were the scrappy underdogs. It was one of those stretches where it felt like the Grand Rapids team was taking on the NHL.

I feel like I'm the only person on this board who sees effort from the Wings. the problem is that they're just not getting any real chances. They showed some passion against the Wild but then it died off after the back to back penalties, now it's like they're trudging along hoping for a sunny day. I think the coaches need to figure out a new offensive plan and put it to use, keep it simple and see what happens.

However... I have this odd feeling we'll take the Ducks down... 5+ goals by the Wings.

Guest blueadams

I feel like I'm the only person on this board who sees effort from the Wings. the problem is that they're just not getting any real chances. They showed some passion against the Wild but then it died off after the back to back penalties, now it's like they're trudging along hoping for a sunny day. I think the coaches need to figure out a new offensive plan and put it to use, keep it simple and see what happens.

However... I have this odd feeling we'll take the Ducks down... 5+ goals by the Wings.

bertuzzi: out

all of our problems: solved