• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

11/5 GDT: Ducks 0 at Red Wings 5

Rate this topic

The Orange County Register - Ducks' Selanne says ‘too much' to officials

(...)

"What happened was he said too much, I guess to the referee on the initial unsportsmanlike and then he gave 10 when he said something," Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said. "And I guess after they scored the goal, he went by the penalty box and said something else and he threw him out."

Selanne appeared to snap after Perry appeared to be held up by the Red Wings' Danny Cleary as he skated up ice to try to create an odd-man rush with Ryan Getzlaf.

(...)

The Ducks were trailing, 3-0, in the second period when Luca Sbisa ripped a slapshot that beat a screened Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard. However, the apparent goal was immediately waved off as Corey Perry was called for incidental contact with Howard at the crease area.

Replays showed Perry and Howard appeared to be fully outside the crease, but Howard was given the benefit of the doubt. It was another bad break for a Ducks team that can ill afford one.

"We can analyze the mistakes that the officials made and there were some mistakes," Carlyle said. "I don't know if the Corey Perry interferes with the goaltender. It's pretty tough. And then they come back and they score a goal.

"(Fabian) Brunnstrom's stick in our goalie's blocker and he can't get his stick down. Those are the things that go against you in games like this. That's just the way it is."

Perry said that he didn't get an explanation from either of the referees, Francois St. Laurent or Don VanMassenhoven.

"He just called it," Perry said. "Whatever he called it, not intentional interference or whatever it is. I thought I was outside the crease. I looked down and I didn't see anything. It's just one of those things.

"I guess he (Howard) came out and hit me and fell backward. I'm allowed my ice. It can go both ways."

It is only going one way for the Ducks at this time and a lackluster effort didn't help.

"They were sharp and they were on us for the whole first period," center Saku Koivu said. "And then a lot of times you don't have the legs, your mind is not there. They deserve those two points and there is no question about that."

I think Perry has a point here. The goalie interference rule is not black and white enough.

The Orange County Register - Ducks hit wall in Detroit at end of road trip

"We were flat," Ducks coach Randy Carlyle said. "I don't know. I thought we had decent energy this morning. I thought we felt we were energized. We just didn't have a starting point for our hockey club.

"We couldn't make a tape-to-tape pass. By far our worst game of the year."

(...)

"It's an excuse," Perry said. "We can say that but we've got to be ready to play no matter where we are, how long we're on the road, how many games it's been since we've been home.

"It's night in and night out. This league is a grind and teams go through that. You've got to be ready to play."

Jonas Hiller was mercifully pulled in the third period after facing 45 shots and allowing the Red Wings' fifth goal, by Johan Franzen.

"We were just doing nothing," Carlyle said. "It was like we were standing still and they were skating. They had their skates on and we were in street shoes."

It's too bad Homer didn't come away with a point. He had a great game and was one of the best players on the ice.

agreed. I just loved watching Homer last night. he was great. His tenacity and hands around the net is unparalleled. The wings better start training someone to replace him; he's going to leave a big hole when he leaves.

Guest Crymson

None for Ericsson either. Homer though should have probably gotten a couple points for screening the goalie.

I think Homer will neither be scratched nor on the 4th line from here on out. He still has "it."

Ericsson is being more physical, but he seriously needs to learn how to one-time the puck.

I think Perry has a point here. The goalie interference rule is not black and white enough.

Being that the Wings very well may be the most negative beneficiary of the ambiguity in goalie interference calls, I think we all agree. However, Perry is talking nonsense. Howard was set before Perry backed into him, so that's his ice.

Edited by Crymson

Let them ***** and moan all they want about it. They've benefitted more than once against Detroit on that kind of call. 2007 Playoffs, Hasek getting shoved into the net along with the puck? Lidstrom's game tying goal with 40 left waived off in '08? Hossa's no goal in Game 3 in '09?

Ducks complaining about getting a goal taken away against the Wings??? Oh, the irony... :rolleyes:

Anyway, great game by the Wings, that is how I want them playing every night. Helm looked great as usual, and Lidstrom is just unbelievable. The fourth line played really well, all lines seemed to have more chemistry than the past few efforts.

Good game, boys, keep it up! :thumbup: