• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dragonballgtz

NHL and steroids according to Laraque

Rate this topic

From everything I've read it always sounded like hockey hasn't ever really had a steroid issue expect speculation of a couple of people and enforcers. I mean getting big helps but its doesn't have anything to do with skill. Getting big doesn't help your skating hockey is all about technique. Don't get me wrong do I think people in the NHL use steroids, some, probably players on the verge of being in the NHL looking for an extra boost but to say just because one person says something doesn't mean a era has to be clouded because of that.

From everything I've read it always sounded like hockey hasn't ever really had a steroid issue expect speculation of a couple of people and enforcers. I mean getting big helps but its doesn't have anything to do with skill. Getting big doesn't help your skating hockey is all about technique. Don't get me wrong do I think people in the NHL use steroids, some, probably players on the verge of being in the NHL looking for an extra boost but to say just because one person says something doesn't mean a era has to be clouded because of that.

It's not about only steroids. Performance enhancing drugs are the key here. It's a long season and for some star players when you play the pre-season, actual season, playoffs, olympics it just may be too much to handle with natural ways.

I think Laraque is usually a bigmouth seeking for attention. Sometimes people like him do good things too by bringing up subjects that otherwise might not see the light of day. I understand him not naming any players as he doesn't want to throw any individuals under the bus. Isn't he attacking the league and not the players? Perhaps his book leads to changes in the future in the way of strickening the rules and testing.

That doesn't seem to be a big secret among fans on fight forums. Most people seem to agree that Twist took steroids. He gained so much mass and strength after he came to St. Louis. Much more than his early days in Quebec.

Other names are John Kordic and Andrew Peters. Although, Kordic had other things he took besides roids.

Was cause of death with Kordic cardiac related ? He was known for drinking, cocaine and roids......

brindamour, ivanans, cote, lapointe, seguin (<----kid is F-ing jacked!!!)

who really knows though, its all speculation and probably always will be for current and past players. unless someone admits to it.

All I know is I'd use performance enhancers if I was in the NHL.... whether I was datsyuk or drew miller

just being honest

Guest Shoreline

So, some in the media, according to the Toronto Star are comparing his statements to those made by Jose Canseco in the past. That seems to me as being more than just a bit of a stretch.

Yeah quite a bit different.

I know some people are disappointed that names wern't named, but this is a good read nonetheless. What I picked out of it:

1) His biggest phobia was fear of failure

2) Sean Avery is the only player he didn't respect.

3) A close second was Donald Brashear.

4) As a head coach, Wayne Gretzky "could not have been worse".

5) Following the morning skate, then-Canadiens head coach Jaques Martin would tell the media who was playing, but left the team in the dark as sort of a "power trip". However, players would check the Internet for the information.

6) While an Oiler, he was invited for, and regularly accepted, dinner at the homes of Edmonton families, as a Public Relations move. After awhile, one change was made: a team official went along, because they didn't know who was out there.

7) His story about snoring, and how he used it to get a "perk" is a classic. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else tried it before Laraque, but I've never heard of it.

What I found most refreshing is the following paragraph:

I want to open a small parenthesis here. I'll talk a bit more in a later chapter about what it's like to be a tough guy in the junior league as well as in the NHL. However, I want my readers to know that there's a huge level of respect between the tough guys. That's why I'll never write that I've won a fight or that I've destroyed another guy, even if that was the case. I'll simply note that things went well for me. I'll never gloat. You'll make the link yourself. End of parenthesis.

It is well known that former Leafs/Canadiens enforcer John Kordic died of heart failure caused by a drug (some say steroid) overdose...I have no doubt in my mind that there is performance enhancing drugs in the NHL.

He had a scuffle with a bunch of police officers, though. Kordic had other issues besides steroids.

It is well known that former Leafs/Canadiens enforcer John Kordic died of heart failure caused by a drug (some say steroid) overdose...I have no doubt in my mind that there is performance enhancing drugs in the NHL.

Anytime you're talking about the elite level of a sport with millions of dollars involved, there's a pretty good chance performance enhancing drugs are involved.

Even if its not to bulk up, I could see players using steroids and other drugs to try and speed up recovery time from injury.