3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

When I think of "Average NHL player", I immediately think of:

Marco Sturm
Radek Bonk
Mike Sillinger

Yeah, I can see that line of thinking. Basically, what we automatically think of as 'average' is a career NHL player that was just ok, because guys liek Doug Brown, etc. were around for a long time and were "average". When really, these are the guys who would probably fall more into the writer of the article's "excelled at being average".... which makes them no longer average, doesn't it? I would say maybe those guys were 'solid' (for lack of a better word - it's late) players, instead of average. Now, I'm not saying it makes them exceptional or anything, but an average NHL player would probably actually be someone who played just 2 or a few seasons in the NHL - someone more like Maxim Kuznetsov or... Jamie Pushor.

I don't really think that saying Kris Draper excelled at being average is necessarily an insult. Plus, I thought that the 'weak face' being thrown in at the end of his section was pretty funny, honestly.

#23 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

You guys are taking this way too seriously, its clearly meant as a humourous piece. But in many ways Draper was "average", thats why he spent nearly his entire career on the 3rd and 4th lines. Thats why we have "role players", players who aren't good enough to play on the top 2 lines but manage to carve out a niche for himself.

Draper despite his substandard passing, stickhandling, shooting and size (all of which were well below NHL level) managed to use his skating, face-offs, work ethic and runaway mouth to make himself into a very useful 3rd liner. As Bowman said, "The safest place on the ice is between the pipes when Kris Draper is on a breakaway"
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#24 hudler sucks

hudler sucks

Prospect

• 33 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:06 AM

If Draper was average, I want a team full of average players.

how many cups would that team win?

#25 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

how many cups would that team win?

More than you would, especially Hudler, who, by my count, is beating you 1-0.

Edited by Shoreline, 10 November 2011 - 09:20 AM.

#26 hudler sucks

hudler sucks

Prospect

• 33 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

"especially" hudler? So you're saying hudler would be on that team? Hudler excels at being average?

#27 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:13 AM

"especially" hudler? So you're saying hudler would be on that team? Hudler excels at being average?

Average? Let's be completely serious here, Hudler is the next Gretzky.

#28 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

Average? Let's be completely serious here, Hudler is the next Gretzky.

EVA? (In the Wall-E voice)

Edited by achildr1, 10 November 2011 - 10:34 AM.

#29 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

Hudler is better than average... but let's be realistic.

A team full of Drapers at forward and generic average defensemen and goaltending would probably never win the Cup. A team full of Hudlers (and same goaltending/d) would probably never win the Cup.

A team with six Hudlers and six Drapers? Now we're talking a much better chance at the Cup. Still have issues on D and in net, so the Cup is probably not realistic, but definitely playoff shot goes up even though overall player quality goes down.

Hockey is a team game; you have to combine the right pieces to win; you can't just go get good players and play them together; they might not well together (see Hudler/Modano) because of significantly different skill sets and play styles, ruining those players' seasons if they play together for any extended period. Others might be great combinations (Gretzky/Kurri, Hull/Oates, Lemieux/anybody, Trottier/Bossy, Esposito/Bucyk, Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Kariya/Selanne) and they will increase the ultimate result from those players over an extended period.

A team full of Drapers might give you a chance to win the occasional game; but that's what, 100-150 goals on a season?
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."