• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
edicius

San Jose installs new boards at HP Pavilion

Rate this topic

Did a search and was surprised that no one had saw this (article's from almost a month ago).

http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci_19101790

...the Sharks held a rare practice Wednesday at HP Pavilion. Coach Todd McLellan wanted players to familiarize themselves with the building's new boards, the first change in the basic playing area since the arena opened in 1993."They're very much alive," defenseman Douglas Murray said of the boards after Wednesday's practice. "The puck comes off hot, and it's one of those things where you either have it hurt you, or you can make it an advantage."

McLellan coached in Detroit for three seasons, where the Joe Louis Arena boards have been the league's liveliest, and the Red Wings design plays to benefit from that. But he said it's too soon to do the same in San Jose.

"It's about spots, the angle of a shot," the coach said, "but it has to be a natural reaction. It can't be a thinking thing, and I'm not sure we're at that level yet. We've still got to just play the game and whatever happens, happens."

You think they would have set standards to try and implement a system inwhich all arenas had damn near same setups boards and ice wise for more consistency in the league.

I like that they don't have a standard, though. Several arenas have their own characteristics and make it more enjoyable. What I don't like is how San Jose has copied everything the Wings do since McClellan took over, and now they seem to be the one team we can't handle.

I like that they don't have a standard, though. Several arenas have their own characteristics and make it more enjoyable. What I don't like is how San Jose has copied everything the Wings do since McClellan took over, and now they seem to be the one team we can't handle.

One of the most annoying factors while the sharks are just having their way with us... Todd McLellan... I can't stand his face, I can't stand the way he exploits us each and every game, I personally just hate the guy and i've never even met him. He's just a good frickin coach.

Agreed. I think its cool that the teams are able to make minor tweaks to their home ice to create an advantage. You see it in MLB with positioning of outfield fences (yankee stadium comes to mind among others), and possibly in other sports such as football where you have either fake or real grass or even acoustics in a stadium to make it louder (debatable I suppose in that case).

Hopefully the wings can capitalize on this when we make the trip to the tank.

The thread title is very missleading. The boards were replaced, but it had nothing to do with what's at the JLA and the replacement of the boards did not consider at all what exists at the JLA. The only connection to Detroit is a comment that the boards are very lively, similar to what you see in Detroit. Detroit has set plays designed around those lively boards and they are suggesting that the Sharks need to think about trying to use the boards to their advantage in a similar way.....seems like a no brainer.

I don't feel flattered at all (I know I'm not a part of the red wings organization, but you know what I mean) because I don't see how they are copying the Wings in any way.

The thread title is very missleading. The boards were replaced, but it had nothing to do with what's at the JLA and the replacement of the boards did not consider at all what exists at the JLA. The only connection to Detroit is a comment that the boards are very lively, similar to what you see in Detroit. Detroit has set plays designed around those lively boards and they are suggesting that the Sharks need to think about trying to use the boards to their advantage in a similar way.....seems like a no brainer.

I don't feel flattered at all (I know I'm not a part of the red wings organization, but you know what I mean) because I don't see how they are copying the Wings in any way.

You don't think Todd McClellan didn't have input on the boards? Maybe he didn't say it outright, but from his personal experience, he probably considers lively boards a good thing. So indirectly, yeah, inspired by the Wings and whatever lively boards McClellan had in his past.

Guest Shoreline
The decision was made to replace the old boards, according to a team statement, because they had been jostled and banged into so much that it became harder and harder to line them up.

But the $449,580 in improvements also provided an opportunity to upgrade safety features, generate revenue through electronic advertising and improve views for fans. Many of the new

acrylic glass panels, for example, are twice as long as the old ones and designed to absorb hits better. That also means fewer stanchions -- now made of plastic, not metal -- to obstruct sightlines.

Seems like decent reasoning to me.

I know its not proof of any sort, but during the Kings-Sharks game earlier this week, the Kings announcers mentioned that it was one of the owners who wanted the new boards to emulate those at the Joe.

But he said it's too soon to do the same in San Jose.

"It's about spots, the angle of a shot," the coach said, "but it has to be a natural reaction. It can't be a thinking thing, and I'm not sure we're at that level yet. We've still got to just play the game and whatever happens, happens."

Sounds like it could be more in our favor if we meet them again in the playoffs. With the set plays mentioned above, perhaps it could help us overcome those 1-goal decisions that we always seem to lose to the Sharks by.

What I don't like is how San Jose has copied everything the Wings do since McClellan took over

It's obvious SJ is clueless when it comes to making it past the Conference Finals on their own, I'm not surprised they're copying us. :cool:

We'll get 'em this year in the playoffs.

Guest Shoreline

It's obvious SJ is clueless when it comes to making it past the Conference Finals on their own, I'm not surprised they're copying us. :cool:

We'll get 'em this year in the playoffs.

Gord forbid if the Wings don't.. might see an obsessive hatred similar to Crosby-like levels.

Gord forbid if the Wings don't.. might see an obsessive hatred similar to Crosby-like levels.

Wings are gonna have to win consistently to make the playoffs...hopefully they are capable of not going on 6 game losing streaks.