• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

20 Game Suspension in OHL

Rate this topic

having a hard time telling what happened exactly. doesnt look like a flagrant elbow. just looks like a guy tried to come across the middle at the blue line which is a pretty risky play in itself. 20 games sounds pretty damn harsh.

having a hard time telling what happened exactly. doesnt look like a flagrant elbow. just looks like a guy tried to come across the middle at the blue line which is a pretty risky play in itself. 20 games sounds pretty damn harsh.

I think you're missing when the defensemen picks up the puck behind the net only to get met with an oncoming winger while his head is down. I think that's what we're trying to look at yowza.gif

I think you're missing when the defensemen picks up the puck behind the net only to get met with an oncoming winger while his head is down. I think that's what we're trying to look at yowza.gif

i dont follow

Guest Shoreline

Ryan Murphy made the problem for himself by not having his head up and by making his own body lower, exposing his upper body to contact. When contact was made his head was level with the top of the boards. At 1:32 is a good angle of where the impact happened, and if you look, his legs are already bent which is why they wind up flying into the air.

To the post above -- "There is no need to come around that corner with that much speed" -- this is bulls***. Khunackl, to get that much speed, had to have in mind pursuing the puck with speed, and Murphy getting the puck at the last second changed his course only slightly.

Announcers in this clip were annoying as f*** calling it a headshot. I really want to see midgets (aka dwarfs, little people) play in the NHL, OHL, AHL, etc., just to show how stupid this headshot bulls*** is. If a player makes himself prone to being hit in the head then that's his fault. I love how every big hit that happens to injure a guy, if not a perfect shoulder to shoulder hit, winds up being a penalty, head shot, suspension, blind side hit, you name the ridiculous names for it.

What's the suspension for this hit going to solve?

Edited by Shoreline

The first clip and the second clip aren't the same incident. din758 is reacting to the second clip.

For my part, the suspension seems very long. I could see the guy getting tossed since he clearly left his feet for the hit, but I don't see any elbows flying (admittedly, the video isn't great) and the puck was in the neighborhood.

edit- after a few more views, I'm not even sure the guy left his feet for the hit. He might have "hopped" just before taking a shoulder right in the stomach.

Edited by dteowner

There is no need to come around that corner with that much speed knowing the defenseman will be in a vulnerable situation. He had an opposing player right behind him, which the player looked worried about, then to have this guy come around like that... no need at all.

He probably didn't expect Murphy to pull that asinine move to put himself in a vulnerable position.

So from what I gather is that there was a delayed penalty on the play and Murphy touched the puck, which blew the play dead and then he got blasted in the head by an elbow. 20 games sounds fair.

As for "skating that fast around the net", well yah, you want to get to the puck first. I mean, that guy who through the check knew he was going to catch Murphy in a vulnerable position and like most youngins, he wants to throw that ESPN Top 10 worthy hit that everyone want to be talking about online. It's just unfortunate he did it on a touch up and threw an elbow to the head as well.

Seems a bit much.

To go back the midget comment. I already mentioned that in previous threads. But how is a guy who is like Chara sized supposed to check a guy who is 5 foot 8. I'm not sure but it's gonna be hilarious to watch when it gets there.

Seems a bit much.

To go back the midget comment. I already mentioned that in previous threads. But how is a guy who is like Chara sized supposed to check a guy who is 5 foot 8. I'm not sure but it's gonna be hilarious to watch when it gets there.

the funny thing is I remember a few years back chara left his feet to hit.... Petr Prucha of all people lol.

So from what I gather is that there was a delayed penalty on the play and Murphy touched the puck, which blew the play dead and then he got blasted in the head by an elbow. 20 games sounds fair.

As for "skating that fast around the net", well yah, you want to get to the puck first. I mean, that guy who through the check knew he was going to catch Murphy in a vulnerable position and like most youngins, he wants to throw that ESPN Top 10 worthy hit that everyone want to be talking about online. It's just unfortunate he did it on a touch up and threw an elbow to the head as well.

The penalty was on Niagara, not Kitchener.

I've watched this now about twenty-three times and honestly if I was Khunacki and was coming around the net full tilt and the first thing I see is Murphy looking behind him IM GOING TO EASE UP AT VERY LEAST NOT PUT MY ARMS UP AND SMASH HIM IN THE HEAD. Deserved suspension.

Good call. With a little bit of polish, he could become "the next Michael Liambas". Besides, Pittsburgh may have drafted him as a replacement for Matt Cooke.

Actually, the hit, from what I hear, was very uncharateristic of him.

This hit actually reminded me a bit of the Steve Downie hit from a few years ago that got him a 20 games suspension in the NHL (before all the real headshot hoopla).

He didn't take extra strides, he didn't elbow, he didn't leave his feet before contact. What exactly did he do wrong? Hit a guy? Some people here are ridiculous.

agreed,

moral of the story? keep your head on a swivel at all times, especially when your coming around the net.

hockey 101