• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

What's up with Datsyuk

Rate this topic

Hard headed Babcock refuses to take Cleary off of pavs' line. That is the problem. I have been preaching it all season. Right now Babs is playing Cleary and Homer with Pavs? What the hell kind of a line is that? IMO this is a TERRIBLE coaching decision by Babs because it gives no one that can score to Pavs to pass to. Cleary has been useless all season, and I want him scratched for a few games. I think Babs should try Hudler up there with Pavs and Homer as Hudler can shoot the puck and actually win battles for the puck.

I'm talking about his moves and his puck handling, not who's on a line with him (I know the limitations there). In those areas I think he looks slow, he seems to be getting stripped a lot, and his dangles just don't seem as sharp and affective. Then again, it's just a perception, maybe I'm wrong. I'm just wondering if he's hurt or if he didn't condition well this off season.

Are u guys jokinen me? datsyuk has been all but finishing...he even tried the puck over the net trick tonight. Hes just not getting the bounces. Already leading the league in takeaways AGAIN..what more do u want out of the guy? hes playing all by himself out there too most nights with cleary or homer on his line! God were spoiled!

Guest Crymson

Hard headed Babcock refuses to take Cleary off of pavs' line. That is the problem. I have been preaching it all season. Right now Babs is playing Cleary and Homer with Pavs? What the hell kind of a line is that? IMO this is a TERRIBLE coaching decision by Babs because it gives no one that can score to Pavs to pass to. Cleary has been useless all season, and I want him scratched for a few games. I think Babs should try Hudler up there with Pavs and Homer as Hudler can shoot the puck and actually win battles for the puck.

You seem a bit obsessed with Cleary.

... Hossa in 09? But I agree he should have a goal scorer to play with not ******* Dan Cleary.

Again. Oh, by the way, Cleary was our #2 goal-scorer last season. Oh, and do you remember when Zetterberg scored 40 goals in '05-'06 and '07-'08, and over 30 apiece in '06-'07 and '08-'09? Oh, and do you recall that many people call them one of the best pairings in the league? I guess not.

Edited by Crymson

I never said anything about Zetterberg playing with Datsyuk... actually they are my favorite line along with Homer. But i just stated Pavs also had a superstar named Hossa to play with in 2009 also, as the one poster said Pavs has only had Zetterberg.

As for Cleary, yes I am obsessed with it because it drives me nuts. Sure, he scored a goal tonight, but besides that he gave the puck away at least 5 times tonight on the powerplays alone, he continues to lose almost every puck battle and, quite frankly, he just is not cutting it on that line. I think Huds has worked harder all season so far than Cleary, and he should have earned the chance to play with Pavs.

As for Cleary, yes I am obsessed with it because it drives me nuts. Sure, he scored a goal tonight, but besides that he gave the puck away at least 5 times tonight on the powerplays alone, he continues to lose almost every puck battle and, quite frankly, he just is not cutting it on that line. I think Huds has worked harder all season so far than Cleary, and he should have earned the chance to play with Pavs.

:ranting:

20111108225507_2011-1108-dg-wings0015.jpg

I'm talking about his moves and his puck handling, not who's on a line with him (I know the limitations there). In those areas I think he looks slow, he seems to be getting stripped a lot, and his dangles just don't seem as sharp and affective. Then again, it's just a perception, maybe I'm wrong. I'm just wondering if he's hurt or if he didn't condition well this off season.

You're absolutely correct - he looked way off tonight, and I thought so last game too. He did not have much intensity, his dangles were easily thwarted, and he turned the puck over many times, especially in the second period as I recall. I know he did not have ideal linemates, but in any given situation Datsyuk usually adapts and does not make this many mistakes.

Edit: Only speaking about his offensive ability in my assessment. His defense seems as good as ever.

Edited by Anijuice

I understand what you mean, I've noticed a little bit as well that there doesn't seem as much zip to him, no nifty little moves like we've been treated to in the past (apart from one attempt to flip it over the net last night). Have to be honest, is it just me who thinks losing people like Rusty has had a bigger affect on him than he thought it would? He did wear Rusty's number during the pre-season, and he is the only Russian on the team in the wake of a Russian tragedy. Might not be everything, but from his actions and comments in the pre-season games, he seemed to be struggling with it all emotionally. If so, this could well be a problem for him further down the line, as I'm sure the majority of people on here know, grief can destroy a person if not dealt with right.

I agree that Datsyuk doesn't look as sharp as he normally does. His overall game has been pretty good (relative to himself, not other players) but the biggest thing is he's been making some pretty terrible turnovers. The one last night where he made a drop pass to nobody at the blueline was really ugly.

Datsyuk is a notoriously slow starter. It takes him time to get his game going to the level he can play so I wouldn't worry about it. The good thing is he is still creating some opportunities and getting some points while his game isn't at top level.

The only time Dat's has looked slow to me is after he's been backchecking like a banchee and nearing the end of a shift. He has shown his classic burts to pull away/get by oppents as well as he ever has imo. His shot isn't on point is the only thing I notice, last year he was like eleventh or something in shooting percentage this year he seems to be flubbing half of them. Alas he still has ten points in 13 games, alright numbers for a funk...In the next few games once Dr. Rahmani fix's those laser sights installed in his retinas that shot of his should be back in business. The only thing I'll say about his line mates, because Clears and Holmer do great things, just don't play Dats with both of them at once. Please put Hudler with him :thumbup:

He's been losing the puck a bit more often than usual, plus his shots haven't been going in and no-one on his line can score on his passes.

But he's not looking terrible or anything. I remember a few years back he said in an interview that he had played "too much hockey" and wasn't 100% in it until later in that season. I think this might be the case here also. He played his heart and soul out last playoffs and it was a tough loss in Game 7, I'm sure as the season goes along he will become more and more excited about the prospect of another cup run and we will see the same old Datsyuk making defenders look like fools.

You seem a bit obsessed with Cleary.

Again. Oh, by the way, Cleary was our #2 goal-scorer last season. Oh, and do you remember when Zetterberg scored 40 goals in '05-'06 and '07-'08, and over 30 apiece in '06-'07 and '08-'09? Oh, and do you recall that many people call them one of the best pairings in the league? I guess not.

That is the problem right there: Dan Cleary was our #2 goal scorer last year. Cleary should be a depth player, not someone we rely on to score goals......

That is the problem right there: Dan Cleary was our #2 goal scorer last year. Cleary should be a depth player, not someone we rely on to score goals......

I'm not sure if you watched many games last season or not, but we were injured. A lot. To the point that many of our regular goal scorers were sidelined for huge chunks of the season. Which would go a long way to explaining why Cleary, someone who you say is merely a "depth player", was our #2 scorer. When that many people above you on the totem pole get knocked off, you find yourself suddenly a lot closer to the top than you otherwise expected.

We should rely on everyone to be able to score a goal or two, for exactly the reason I outlined above. What happens if our key producers get injured again this year? If we can't rely on the Dan Clearys of the team to score goals, we're f***ed.

BTW, it is never a problem when any player on your team scores 30 goals in a season.

I have faith that he will be fine. He's always been notoriously slow at the beginning, and picks up steam as things progress. If he is still rattled by what happened to all his friends a couple months ago, I can understand it. It's hard to pick up the pieces sometimes. He'll be fine...he'll work it all out in his head and heart.

I have faith that he will be fine. He's always been notoriously slow at the beginning, and picks up steam as things progress. If he is still rattled by what happened to all his friends a couple months ago, I can understand it. It's hard to pick up the pieces sometimes. He'll be fine...he'll work it all out in his head and heart.

I guess I never really thought of Dats as a particularly slow starter. I'm pretty sure he's started the last few seasons at a point-per-game pace in october.

More than even point production though, he's just looked off. His dekes aren't working. He's had completely uncharacteristic turnovers. Passes aren't as sharp as they were.

Hopefully it's not the wrist or some chronic injury and he gets back to form.