• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

What's up with Datsyuk

Rate this topic

Once again I will state, this largely comes down to poor coaching by Mike Babcock. Why would a coach put DAN CLEARY wit Pavel Datsyk?? Cleary is not a sniper... all the goals he scores are crappy goals from bad angles or rebounds (Homer's role). Last night, Pavs had all the nice moves, but Cleary had no idea what to do while Pavs was doing his thing. Cleary is a very very good 3rd line player, but nothing more. IF we want to continue to see success, Mike Babcock has got to put a guy that can score goals on a line with Pavs.

Once again I will state, this largely comes down to poor coaching by Mike Babcock. Why would a coach put DAN CLEARY wit Pavel Datsyk?? Cleary is not a sniper... all the goals he scores are crappy goals from bad angles or rebounds (Homer's role). Last night, Pavs had all the nice moves, but Cleary had no idea what to do while Pavs was doing his thing. Cleary is a very very good 3rd line player, but nothing more. IF we want to continue to see success, Mike Babcock has got to put a guy that can score goals on a line with Pavs.

I fully agree, but the problem is who? Right now, Fil - Z - Franzen will not be broken up, and either Filppula or Franzen would help out Datsyuk much more than Cleary or Homer. It's like Babcock is sticking our best top 6 forward (Datsyuk) and trying to rig together a scoring line with the 2 worst top 6 forwards. Actually, I could argue that Cleary and Homer are both not top 6 forwards. Bertuzzi might be better served in that role.

Or dare I say it, Hudler :hehe:

Cleary has 141 goals in 760 NHL games (100 goals in 431 games as a Red Wing), which makes him a poor goalscorer. He is not a good top6 player. Datsyuk deserves to player with better wingers. Simple as that.

Poor isn't the right word. He had 26 goals for the second highest scoring team in the league last season. I don't disagree with you about Datsyuk needing a different winger at the moment, as I even stated in my last post I prefer Filppula on his line. That being said, who else is "better" in that role that the Red Wings have on their roster? Hudler is the only real option and Babcock doesn't seem willing to give him consistent top-six minutes. Bertuzzi clearly doesn't belong on the top two lines and everyone else on the team definitely is only suited for the third and fourth lines.

It's easy to say Cleary isn't a top-six forward when things aren't going well for him. No one besides the dude here that always ******* about Cleary was complaining last season when he played a ton of time with both Datsyuk and Zetterberg and produced fine. The fact is the Red Wings don't have a legitimate sniper, which is why they scored six goals in six games. It isn't as "simple" as you stated just for the sheer fact the Red Wings don't have a goal-scoring winger to just put on Datsyuk's wing, so they have to deal with the streakiness that comes from Franzen, Cleary and Filppula instead.

Guest Crymson

Cleary has 141 goals in 760 NHL games (100 goals in 431 games as a Red Wing), which makes him a poor goalscorer. He is not a good top6 player. Datsyuk deserves to player with better wingers. Simple as that.

Cleary didn't score in his first season here. He's averaged over 20 goals per season during the four seasons since, even having missed significant time for injuries. He's an above-average goal-scorer, not a poor one.

Edited by Crymson

You know what? I don't think Pasha is really concerned about whether he scores a ton of goals right now, as long as the team is winning. We've improved the goals against stat considerably so far (5th as opposed to 26th last year), and you have to admit the defense has been kicking ass...including someone stealing pucks as per usual. And besides, he's always said he prefers to pass rather than score goals, so hey, if it ain't broke, don't screw with it. Yeah, I'd love to see him score more goals, but I'm perfectly content to take what I get.

Cleary didn't score in his first season here. He's averaged over 20 goals per season during the four seasons since, even having missed significant time for injuries. He's an above-average goal-scorer, not a poor one.

Finally, some logic. The only thing Cleary is a little weak at is carrying the puck. He's an excellent corner guy, has a good amount of speed, and can score 20+ goals on a second line. The OVERLY CLEAR problem is TOMAS FREAKING HOLMSTROM. It cannot be any more obvious. This guy is 5 years past his usefulness, and the only purpose he serves is to stand in front of the goalie on the power play. During 5 on 5 play, he drags down the center he plays with. He's not fast, he's not a good stick handler, and he's not a good passer. Datsyuk and Cleary are basically on the pk all game with Holmstrom on their line. For some reason though, Babcock thinks he's Mike Bossy.

Finally, some logic. The only thing Cleary is a little weak at is carrying the puck. He's an excellent corner guy, has a good amount of speed, and can score 20+ goals on a second line. The OVERLY CLEAR problem is TOMAS FREAKING HOLMSTROM. It cannot be any more obvious. This guy is 5 years past his usefulness, and the only purpose he serves is to stand in front of the goalie on the power play. During 5 on 5 play, he drags down the center he plays with. He's not fast, he's not a good stick handler, and he's not a good passer. Datsyuk and Cleary are basically on the pk all game with Holmstrom on their line. For some reason though, Babcock thinks he's Mike Bossy.

I think Mike Bossy might be a few years past his prime as well.

whats up with zetterberg? whats up with datsyuk? whats up with these threads? I'm eagerly awaiting the whats up with Lidstrom thread.........why isnt he skating 100mph? why doesnt he have 70 pts yet?

Don't be such a princess about it. The point of the original post was not to say Datsyuk was bad, or even to ***** about his production. I was wondering if he were still recovering from injury or something because the moves he was making and the speed with which he were making them didn't seem very "Datsyukian". I think that was pretty straight forward from the start.

With the exception of a handful of people on this site, every single post on every single thread just devolves to people bitching about whoever isn't playing up to their expectations, or else someone (like the guy I'm responding to here) being overly reactionary and acting as if I'd just dick slapped Datsyuk in the face.

The question was simple, stick to the topics, start a new post, and get over yourselves.

Edited by kipwinger

Don't be such a princess about it. The point of the original post was not to say Datsyuk was bad, or even to ***** about his production. I was wondering if he were still recovering from injury or something because the moves he was making and the speed with which he were making them didn't seem very "Datsyukian". I think that was pretty straight forward from the start.

With the exception of a handful of people on this site, every single post on every single thread just devolves to people bitching about whoever isn't playing up to their expectations, or else someone (like the guy I'm responding to here) being overly reactionary and acting as if I'd just dick slapped Datsyuk in the face.

The question was simple, stick to the topics, start a new post, and get over yourselves.

You nailed it on the head for me, my prince in shining armor.

There is nothing wrong with Datsyuk. I've seen plenty of fantastic dekes out of him this season. He's a 33 year old hockey player and he's HUMAN.... So stop dick slapping his face lol

Edit: don't take things so personally dude. The point of my original post was that there is a "whats up with zetterberg?" and a "whats up with datsyuk?" thread going on right now, which is just typical LGW ridiculousness (bring on the negs baby!). So chill bro ;)

Edited by number9