• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WorkingOvertime

Philly v. Tampa

Rate this topic

Tampa is playing trap, and Phily is refusing to play the puck up the ice. On multiple occasions, Philly has slated the puck around their zone for 30+ seconds with no Tampa pressure. During this, the Philly bence has been yelling at the Tampa players on the ice.

It's truly bizarre to see live. I'm sure the topic will be all over TSN tomorrow.

Was quite the standoff. I actually kind of like Philly's response but obviously that kind of thing is not watchable. So while I'm no trap fan, unless there's a rule outlawing it I think it's the job of the offense to keep the play moving.

Then again it hasn't really seemed to have a very big impact on the game, it only happened about three times in the first period and I don't think I've seen it at all in the second. So probably the appropriate response is to do nothing.

I always thought this would be a great way for the visiting team to screw with the opponent and take the home crowd out of the game. Not the trapping, but the lagging the puck. Teams do it on the penalty kill all the time: skating into the offensive zone then a long pass to their own blueline.

Guest Crymson

I only watched the 1st but thought that Philly shoud have gotten a delay of game for doing that a second time.

Edzo said that he and the other guys had scoured the rulebook and had found nothing against it. The refs did blow the play dead a couple of times; that's about all they can do at this stage.

I watched this game tonight, and it happened at least 5 times before the halfway point of the game. It was very unusual and like the guy above said I never saw anything like this happen in a hockey game before. Philly easily burned 3 minutes of the period just standing in their defensive zone with the puck. Back in the old days there was a matchup between two teams, one got the lead and then continued to dump the puck over and over until the end of the game. It was so damaging to the entertainment value and balance of the game that they introduced Icing. I can see discussions of a rule to avoid what happened tonight beginning tomorrow, because whatever was going on tonight made watching the game difficult and relatively annoying.

Edited by BlazeYoungblood

Edzo said that he and the other guys had scoured the rulebook and had found nothing against it. The refs did blow the play dead a couple of times; that's about all they can do at this stage.

They actually whistled it down when Philly had the puck and wasn't moving it at all, leveraging the rule they use to call play when everyone is refusing to touch the puck on a delayed high stick/hand pass kind of thing, or when the puck is being pinned to the wall and the player refuses to move it. After that they had Pronger skate it in lazy circles and there was no recourse for it at all.

Darren Dreger also said, "League did speak to officiating staff in Tampa Bay, but advised they shouldn't interfere with coaching tactics." I'm alright with all this. Neither side was obligated to go and try and make contact with the other. It wasn't really that big of a deal within the context of the game, however unusual.

Guest Shoreline

Yeah play shouldn't have been stopped.

I'm surprised after all these years the Flyers' tactic wasn't used against the Devils or Wild.

If it's fair game to sit back and prevent an offense from moving the puck into their own zone by stacking players back it's fair game to sit back in your defensive zone and not move the puck forward.

Hopefully if anything it might actually embarrass the team that refuses to forecheck, especially when it's in front of their home crowd.

Edited by Shoreline

Guest Crymson

Thanks for sharing I was just going to look for it! It looked pretty wierd from that clip, Philly looked a lot better at the end when they got pissed off and just went for it.

Philly moved because Halpern started forechecking.

I watched this game tonight, and it happened at least 5 times before the halfway point of the game. It was very unusual and like the guy above said I never saw anything like this happen in a hockey game before. Philly easily burned 3 minutes of the period just standing in their defensive zone with the puck. Back in the old days there was a matchup between two teams, one got the lead and then continued to dump the puck over and over until the end of the game. It was so damaging to the entertainment value and balance of the game that they introduced Icing. I can see discussions of a rule to avoid what happened tonight beginning tomorrow, because whatever was going on tonight made watching the game difficult and relatively annoying.

Imposing a rule would set a bad precident whereby league regulations dictate tactics that a coach can impliment. If a 1-3-1 defense works for a team like Tampa, let them do it. If another team is too lazy/thinks they're clever by running down the clock, instead of trying to work some offense, there should be no rule but perhaps officials should take the initiative to blow the play dead more often like they did in the 1st minute of the game - think of those times where the puck is in the crease and they blow a quick whistle? It screams of a lack of ambition from a team. Can you imagine the uproar on here if Lidstrom just held the puck for 30-40 seconds after the opening faceoff? Some fans in Tampa may find the lack of a forecheck boring, but I guarantee more will take the enjoyment from seeing their team win 2-1 as a result. It just works. They don't want to see St-Louis try and hit someone twice his size (believe me I went to the home-opener this year, and it's not a pretty sight).

More peed off with Philly here than Tampa. If they had actually tried some offense, they might have done something in the 4 or 5 mintues they sat on their asses, and may have got a regulation win. As a result, they lose in OT.